Finally got some time.

Well I haven't done to much this last weekend but both uppers are now done and I've started on the lowers. Here's a pic of my improvised welding stand.:eek: Not great but it does the job at least.:biggrin:

If you look at the red thing in the center of the arm it's the brace that keeps you from crushing the control arm when you bolt the sway bar to it. I welded it in the center so I could make sure it wouldn't move when I put everything back together. Leave the ends unwelded so if you have to tweek it slightly you can get it to line up so the bolts will go in. Three of the holes lined up but the fourth was off just enough that I had to tweek one side. The last pic is of the brace for the bushing again. The lowers are narrower than the uppers so it makes it harder to weld them in. I also attached the inside top to it this time since it has better support than the uppers.

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 254
Well I haven't done to much this last weekend but both uppers are now done and I've started on the lowers. Here's a pic of my improvised welding stand.:eek: Not great but it does the job at least.:biggrin:

If you look at the red thing in the center of the arm it's the brace that keeps you from crushing the control arm when you bolt the sway bar to it. I welded it in the center so I could make sure it wouldn't move when I put everything back together. Leave the ends unwelded so if you have to tweek it slightly you can get it to line up so the bolts will go in. Three of the holes lined up but the fourth was off just enough that I had to tweek one side. The last pic is of the brace for the bushing again. The lowers are narrower than the uppers so it makes it harder to weld them in. I also attached the inside top to it this time since it has better support than the uppers.

i wish i would have taken pictures when i boxed mine. i just wish that when i boxed mine;that they had a kit that all you have to do is weld it. now they do have you seen that kit?

LOL I love the welding stand Charlie, kicks the sh!t out of mine.

Thanks Adam. It's also a step stool when needed.:biggrin:

i wish i would have taken pictures when i boxed mine. i just wish that when i boxed mine;that they had a kit that all you have to do is weld it. now they do have you seen that kit?

Saw it but I'm a poor boy myself Matt. It also doesn't enclose the bushings like I'm doing.:biggrin: I have a few other tricks up my sleeve so keep watching. Hopefully my net lets me post because I haven't been able to log on in the last 36 or so hours.:mad:

is the net still screwing with ya Charlie?

A.j.

It's not the net as much as the network I'm on. The cable to my house is a little to long so I had to order a repeater set up that needs to be installed. I'm hoping it will be here next week so I can get the blasted thing working right. Sometimes I have a signal and sometimes I don't so I'm off line most of the time unless I get lucky and it decides to work.:frown:

Thanks Adam. It's also a step stool when needed.:biggrin:

Saw it but I'm a poor boy myself Matt. It also doesn't enclose the bushings like I'm doing.:biggrin: I have a few other tricks up my sleeve so keep watching. Hopefully my net lets me post because I haven't been able to log on in the last 36 or so hours.:mad:

i had a feeling you have more up your sleeve. i cant wait to see it all.

i had a feeling you have more up your sleeve. i cant wait to see it all.

Well the scarry thing is all the frigging emails I'm trying to catch up on right now. I've been replying for 2 hours and am still not done.:frown: I have 114 more that I need to reply to. Time consuming and a little agrivating to say the least.:redface:

Well the scarry thing is all the frigging emails I'm trying to catch up on right now. I've been replying for 2 hours and am still not done.:frown: I have 114 more that I need to reply to. Time consuming and a little agrivating to say the least.:redface:

well........... tell all of those women that you have more important things to do like work on cars!

A.j.

wow. your a very popular person. thats a lot of email.

well........... tell all of those women that you have more important things to do like work on cars!

A.j.

wow. your a very popular person. thats a lot of email.

LOL I wish Aj. :biggrin:

This is all tech stuff and it gets a little old sometimes. I try to read my email at least twice a day and usually get over 100 emails a day. 36 hours of not reading them and I get swamped like I am now.:eek:

Well it's just my frigging luck! I was welding the lowers up and ran out of gas.:mad: I'll be helping my landlord move an automatic car wash tomorrow and hope to get another thank for the welder, but he said we probibly won't get back in time to do it.:mad: The extra cash is welcome but I really want to finish the lowers so I can get to the doors.:mad:

On a side note, most of you don't understand what it's like living in an area where the weather can change rapidly. Here's 2 pics for you taken about 5 minutes apart. It rained 30 minutes later. When I took the first pic I estimated the weather was about 100 miles away.:eek::biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 229
I hear you about quick weather changes. Our motto here is if you don't like the weather, give it a minute.

Great thread Charlie!

Well it's just my frigging luck! I was welding the lowers up and ran out of gas.:mad: I'll be helping my landlord move an automatic car wash tomorrow and hope to get another thank for the welder, but he said we probibly won't get back in time to do it.:mad: The extra cash is welcome but I really want to finish the lowers so I can get to the doors.:mad:

On a side note, most of you don't understand what it's like living in an area where the weather can change rapidly. Here's 2 pics for you taken about 5 minutes apart. It rained 30 minutes later. When I took the first pic I estimated the weather was about 100 miles away.:eek::biggrin:

Ooo I see some 57 chevys in the backround.....

Thanks Jobi. I've always wondered why no one has posted a build thread in the B4Black section so I guess I'm the first to do it.:biggrin:

Yep. Several 57's out here but all 4 door cars. Think there are 4 hoods rusting away in the field right now as well.:redface:

I worked on removing an automatic car washer today to help my land lord and we left at 7 AM and got back at 1800 hours this evening. I was waisted from the heat so I took a couple of hours off, ate, took a shower, and since I got a new bottle I finished welding the lowers and removing all the bushings from the arms but not the axle.:cool:

I have to work late tomorrow but get off Saturday early enough so I might bet the new bushings installed so I can put the rear in again. I also went Wednesday night and towed a truck back to work on so I'll need to do it on Sunday. Bad gas in it and I just overhauled the carb for him. I may have to do it again to fix the thing once again.:mad:

I still haven't finished re-enforcing them Mike. I will be showing the last mod to the control arms by Monday. I think you guys will be suprised. Simple and stupid to say the least.:biggrin:

LOL I'm suprised you never thought about it Aj. It's so simple even a squid can do it.:tongue::biggrin:

Hahaha It's like that now huh Charlie?!:biggrin:

that brace in the control arms is trick as hell! haha My cousin seen them (he's a mechanic in his former life haha) and thought they we're the bee's knees!

Hahaha It's like that now huh Charlie?!:biggrin:

that brace in the control arms is trick as hell! haha My cousin seen them (he's a mechanic in his former life haha) and thought they we're the bee's knees!

LOL Well I was an USAR MP after all.:biggrin:

Most people just do the open flat section for some reason but I decided that it would be even better to do the ends this way for more strength. It honestly makes sense to do this and I don't know why no one else has done it. I removed the stock bushings and it was much easier than just pulling them out with the open arms as they were. I will also be re-enforcing the bolt hole that the axle mount goes. If you look at the factory ones the metal is fairly thin and really does need some help to make it stronger.