Finally got some time.

'87 GN body shell

Hey you should just buy this body from me.

Attachments

• '87 Body.jpg
    '87 Body.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 372
Well I finally am posting the last of the mods to the rear control arms. Where the upper arm is mounted to the axle needed some re-enforcement to match the rest of the arms. My first idea was to use a washer where the bolt goes through but then it really doesn't do much to make it stronger. I decided to add more metal to tie everything together. I has some metal left over from the c pearling and it fit fairly well so I fitted it up to where the thin section was. Had to do a little bending to make it fit better but it doubles the area and ties it all together. The posistion of this brace overlaps the rest of the bracing so this is about as secure as it can get unless I go to aftermarket arms.:biggrin:

One more thing I'll add about doing this is look at the last 2 pics. You'll notice some small holes in the bottoms that I welded on to the arms. I thought about it and unless there's some way to drain water out then it will just accumulate and start rusting the arms from the insides.:eek: Now I have drain holes so I won't have to worry about it as much. There's a reason I earned the nickname "overkill" after all.:biggrin:

Forgot to add that I made a nice score this week. Long story short is that one of the local dirt guys had a choice of getting a divorce or keep racing, so he sold the car and lots of parts really cheap.:biggrin: Got 2 brand new Cooper Cobras for $30 each. Size is 275/60/15 so I've got the rear tires now at least.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 350
Thanks Mike. I'm gonna try and clean them up before I paint them but they should be solid at least.

Ive gotta get around to replacing mine too. Looked at them when I was under the car and my bushings are pretty soft and are surface cracked.

Thread hi-jack over

Ive read that full polyurethane bushings and boxing the uppers causes a bunch of binding issues as the geomety isnt perfect and stuff needs to bend when the axle moves. I dont know if its 100% true or not, but thats what Ive read.

Well 6 of the bushings are stock style. The ones going in the ears are off set to change the pinion angle and IC of the car. This will help with traction quite a bit. I've got to take the bushings out, put the rear in, and position the last 2 in the right location before I can press them in. Kind of a pain but this way everything is squared right.

how come you didnt just buy some adjustable control arms Charlie?

im just curious to the advantage of beefin the stockers.

A.j.

Money mostly Aj. The off set bushings will correct the IC location and allow for pinion angle. Granted this took time but when you're broke you do with what you have. I also like to figure out how to do things and it will be some experimenting with stock parts to see how well they can be made to perform.

Honestly if I'd had the cash I'd have gotten the aftermarket arms from Speedway for $118 plus shipping but I took a look at my bank account and just didn't have the spare cash right now.

Money mostly Aj. The off set bushings will correct the IC location and allow for pinion angle. Granted this took time but when you're broke you do with what you have. I also like to figure out how to do things and it will be some experimenting with stock parts to see how well they can be made to perform.

Honestly if I'd had the cash I'd have gotten the aftermarket arms from Speedway for $118 plus shipping but I took a look at my bank account and just didn't have the spare cash right now.

I can understand that Brother....

I wish I had a money tree.

A.j.

Well everything is in place now. I got the last bushings pressed in the axle and it was a b!tch to say the least.:eek: I had to mount everything up so I'd know where the center of the offset bushings needed to be located. The first thing you need to look at is the angle of the u joints. You want about a 3 to 4 degree down angle for the u joint to live. If you notice it accounted for this with the jack. I had to put everything together and then use a marker in the holes to mark where the hole in the bushing needed to go. Then take everything back out to mark where the hole should go. The first one is in place now and then you need to press it in. I'll show this next.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.JPG
    DSCN0001.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 320
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN0004.JPG
    DSCN0004.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 323
Ok, here's the set up to press them in. I'm using a ball joint press because you can't use one of the normal presses. The drivers side went in easy but I needed an extra set of hands to put the passenger side in.:mad: Talk about a PITA!:mad: I won't be able to work on it for a few days which is a bummer but the rear is ready to go back in now.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0006.jpg
    DSCN0006.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 321
Cannot stress enough on how wicked that thing is wow!

Thanks Mike. I've said it before but I'm trying to change the rules on these cars. I made a deal today on a complete HA motor with all the parts but the front harness. He's just north of me by 30 or so miles and it has 89 K on the ticker. I don't really want to use a .060 block so this is the one that will be used I hope.:) Not gonna use the SFI set up but I want the short block and maybe the heads to get her going now.:biggrin:

wow it looks like you have been busy sence i have been gone. nice work so far. i really like seeing what you have done. i allways know you have more.

Thanks Matt. Been wondering where you've been hiding. I'm making the down payment on the engine tonight and hope to get my side work done this weekend so I can pay for the rest of it. I've been working on the car so much I haven't had much side work lately to pay for stuff. I'm trying to keep some sort of budget but you know how that is these days.

Thanks Matt. Been wondering where you've been hiding. I'm making the down payment on the engine tonight and hope to get my side work done this weekend so I can pay for the rest of it. I've been working on the car so much I haven't had much side work lately to pay for stuff. I'm trying to keep some sort of budget but you know how that is these days.

yea i do, the more you get into it the more $.

Thanks Mike. I've said it before but I'm trying to change the rules on these cars. I made a deal today on a complete HA motor with all the parts but the front harness. He's just north of me by 30 or so miles and it has 89 K on the ticker. I don't really want to use a .060 block so this is the one that will be used I hope.:) Not gonna use the SFI set up but I want the short block and maybe the heads to get her going now.:biggrin:

I was about to say.......:rolleyes::rolleyes: wait a minute... did i say that...