Finally got some time.

I also found that the 4th gen Camaro lower arms are the same as the metric chasis cars. I had a couple in my storage unit and looked at them very carefully to make sure they're the same. My uppers I don't have a choice on but I have some much better condition lowers and new bushings on the way.:smile: I will be boxing the arms tomorrow hopefully but I had a late service call tonight but I just can't refuse free money after all.:biggrin:

The uppers were so rusted that it took me 4 hours to blast all the rust off of them. I painted them to keep any additional rust from forming and red really isn't my choice of colors but it was sitting in the shop and it was free afterall.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN0006.jpg
    DSCN0006.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 276
looking good charlie..... nice braces on the rear.

and yes, the 7 5/8" 28 spline carrier will fit in the 7 1/2 housing.

A.j.

That's what I was hoping to hear Aj. I've read a few places that it wouldn't. If I can get a posi with the 28 spline axle shafts then the axle will be as strong as an 8.5 stock one.

Wow, Charlie. You are a braver man than I. Having to deal with all that rust would drive me crazy. Ah, crazier.
Looking good. A lot of good information flying around here.

That's what I was hoping to hear Aj. I've read a few places that it wouldn't. If I can get a posi with the 28 spline axle shafts then the axle will be as strong as an 8.5 stock one.

ya know im not too entirely sure on the G body rear....

but for the S10 rear its a simple swap. confirm your axle lengths on each side.

A.j.

Good Job Charlie!
That rear axle is a beast right now for a 7.5 I bet your happy to have the rear suspension almost finished.:smile:

Wow, Charlie. You are a braver man than I. Having to deal with all that rust would drive me crazy. Ah, crazier.
Looking good. A lot of good information flying around here.

Thanks Donnie. I thought you'd like to see what I'm doing to the suspension and hope it helps you some. The rear mods should help it hook up much better and if the twin bars work out then it's a cheap alternitive to the HR bar.

ya know im not too entirely sure on the G body rear....

but for the S10 rear its a simple swap. confirm your axle lengths on each side.

A.j.

I know that the later ones have a 28 spline carrier but I don't know if the 7&5/8 carrier will fit in the earlier housings or not. Guess I'll need to call a rear end speciality shop to find out now.:frown:

Good Job Charlie!
That rear axle is a beast right now for a 7.5 I bet your happy to have the rear suspension almost finished.:smile:

Got to box the arms and am still waiting on the bushings to get here. They should be here today and for the metal to box the rears I found that C pearling is the exact same thickness as the arms. We've got some scrap sitting around here and I'll be using it to box the arms.:biggrin: I'm soooo glad my net decided to work again but I had 160 emails I had to answer and am still going through them.:frown:

Thanks Donnie. I thought you'd like to see what I'm doing to the suspension and hope it helps you some. The rear mods should help it hook up much better and if the twin bars work out then it's a cheap alternitive to the HR bar.

I know that the later ones have a 28 spline carrier but I don't know if the 7&5/8 carrier will fit in the earlier housings or not. Guess I'll need to call a rear end speciality shop to find out now.:frown:

well 28 spline carriers are 7 5/8 so yes then is should fit in place of the 26 spline carrier.

A.j.

well 28 spline carriers are 7 5/8 so yes then is should fit in place of the 26 spline carrier.

A.j.

Well I just got off the phone with Fort Worth Gear and Axle and it turns out that it's the same carrier but was incorrectly measured when it was originally made. The 7.5 and 7.65 are completely interchangable and all I'll need is some shafts to make it work. I found Eaton posi 28 spline carries for $410 with free shipping and the bearings will cost $22.00 plus tax. When I get enough cash I'll have to do this just in case.:biggrin::cool:

Well I just got off the phone with Fort Worth Gear and Axle and it turns out that it's the same carrier but was incorrectly measured when it was originally made. The 7.5 and 7.65 are completely interchangable and all I'll need is some shafts to make it work. I found Eaton posi 28 spline carries for $410 with free shipping and the bearings will cost $22.00 plus tax. When I get enough cash I'll have to do this just in case.:biggrin::cool:

Hey charlie, ill tell ya the Eaton carrier was a upgrade i did in 96' on my cutty before i owned my buicks and it took everything i ever through at it.The diff now lives on in my 82' and still flawless, pretty good for 14+ years later:biggrin: oh and at the time it was cheaper to buy the eaton with 28 spline racing axles than just replacing the stock carrier... with the old 26 splines. Eaton has been good to me and held up behind a 383 stroker/700r4/2800stall/3.73 ratio= 308H 368T wheel dyno:smile:

Hey charlie, ill tell ya the Eaton carrier was a upgrade i did in 96' on my cutty before i owned my buicks and it took everything i ever through at it.The diff now lives on in my 82' and still flawless, pretty good for 14+ years later:biggrin: oh and at the time it was cheaper to buy the eaton with 28 spline racing axles than just replacing the stock carrier... with the old 26 splines. Eaton has been good to me and held up behind a 383 stroker/700r4/2800stall/3.73 ratio= 308H 368T wheel dyno:smile:

Thank you! That was exactly what I was hoping to hear.:cool:

Now onto todays adventures.:biggrin: I started boxing the uppers and it was so hot today I went really slow so I wouldn't get to hot. I made a few templates so it would be easier if I have to do it again later. I'm trying to make them as bullet proof as I can since I know that the stock arms are weak and can rip the bushings out in some cases.:eek: I re-enforced the area surrounding the bushing that mounts in the upper control arm first. Then moved onto the the area that is the largest to make the template. As you can see the bushing is completely secure and shouldn't have any issues now.:cool:

Attachments

• DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 289
I also made sure the bushing on the axle was properly re-enforced. I made sure that everything was as solid as possible to make sure I won't have any problems.:cool: And here's the final product.:cool:

I'm also adding pics of the offset bushings that mount in the ears on the axle as well as an alternative brake mount from the S-10 Blazer. It has a cable mount on it so it should be a better set up to rig on the back of the car for better braking.:cool: Just have to go the the salvage yard to see how the cables work and whether or not I can use them now.

Attachments

• DSCN0006.JPG
    DSCN0006.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCN0007.jpg
    DSCN0007.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCN0008.JPG
    DSCN0008.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCN0009.jpg
    DSCN0009.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 276
HA! you know I never thought about those disc brakes.

there a bolt on to my S10 rear.

Speedway be damned.

:tongue:A.j.

LOL I'm suprised you never thought about it Aj. It's so simple even a squid can do it.:tongue::biggrin:

lol.... never occured to me. direct bolt on! LMAO...

you got me wanting to re-think the drums! I can get a trans brake for launch.... but the handling ability of the disc sounds nice....

A.j.

Now you know why I am getting rid of the drums bud. If you've got the later axle it is a simple bolt on so I'd say go for it.

Now you know why I am getting rid of the drums bud. If you've got the later axle it is a simple bolt on so I'd say go for it.

well all S10 rears used that 4 bolt flange.. so its a direct fit.

what I dont like..... is a transbrake on the 7.5. I reckon its a recipe for disaster.

A.j.

Some of the early ones use the same flange I just cut off mine Aj. That's why we can use the S-10 wheel cylinders to up grade the rear drums. The later ones switched back to the 4 bolt mount. If you've got the later axle it also has 28 spline shafts and then you just need to brace it up like I did and you should be good to go.