Finally got some time.

we talked about doing a simular setup on my friends 83 ss but never did.

All it does is support the rear LCA's. Keeps from ripping them off the frame and causing other issues.:cool: Simple and cheap compaired to having to take the frame in for repair in the end.:biggrin:

Well.

Here's a little more on the rear LCA braces.:smile: I got one finished so you can get a better idea how it fits up on the chasis. The first pic is the brace welded up and if you notice it doesn't go all the way around. I know that some water and debris will get in there so I wanted a way for it to get out. The second pic is how well it fits up. I could've bought some but since I've got some time from day to day I used scrap laying around to make them.:biggrin:

The third pic is the template I used to make the first one. I made 5 total but I wasn't happy with the way the first turned out. To get these to fit right before you weld them in you have to file and hand fit them. You want them to fit up pretty well or you will have to do some fill weld and that's not as strong as a good weld to begin with.:)

The fourth pic is of the fuel pump re-clocked so it will work on my car.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 284
  • DSCN0002.JPG
    DSCN0002.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCN0004.JPG
    DSCN0004.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 270
Nice... this is one of those "what GM should have done" moments:biggrin:

You're right Jase. It would've been cheap for them to add them to any of the "performance" cars of the 80's on the line but since it was one of the lowest quality times in Americas history for cars it doesn't suprise me.:redface:

You're right Jase. It would've been cheap for them to add them to any of the "performance" cars of the 80's on the line but since it was one of the lowest quality times in Americas history for cars it doesn't suprise me.:redface:

gotta agree with that, but i think during this time, some of the best american motors were made and really refined, such as the SFI cars, the iron duke, the ford Essex v6s, ford 300s.. and some of the worst motors like the 301, the 267, ford diesel motors, and that awful over smogged 307.

Well this weekend has been a pain but I did get a little done:biggrin: The stock water outlet is toast so I made another one. Got rid of the tube to the timing cover/water pump just like my old car. Keeps the temps down a little more. 1/4" thick flange and just cheap black pipe for the first part. The upper part here the hose attaches is electrical conduit. Just the right size but I had to heat it up and flair it out. Not hard but time consuming.:frown:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 223
Got a little more done today. I started porting the plenum, but it's not done yet. Thought I'd post some pics of what it looks like compared to an unmodified one. The throat needs some more work and the 5/16" spacer still needs to be welded on, but it will flow much better now.:biggrin: Once all the mods are done then it will also be sand blasted to reduce fuel drop out.:cool:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN0002.JPG
    DSCN0002.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 207
Nice update Charlie, I never did figure out whysome of those plenums had 4holes and some had just the two secondary holes then a slot cut out from them all the way up to to where the primary holes would be. I've never seen a 2bbl version in person, I know they are out there.

The ones I'm showing are basically the same Adam. It's for the base plate heater that went under the carb. EPA required them so that the engine would reduce the amount of emissions it put out when cold.

The ones I'm showing are basically the same Adam. It's for the base plate heater that went under the carb. EPA required them so that the engine would reduce the amount of emissions it put out when cold.

nice work charlie... nice to see you updating the thread. I might get my hands on that turbo that O_so_lo is selling and seeing what i can make of that.

I had just enough time to weld the LCA braces in today. Didn't take long but it isn't the prettiest welding I've ever done. I know it's strong and secure weld though. I looked at the back of the weld and you can see the "burn" marks on the metal. One more mod to the frame and it's time to change it. I'm not gonna post this mod because it's not a "normal" mod, but it will help her to hook up better and should cause the chasis to lift instead of squat.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 379
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 377
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 378
hey looks like you got your welder all fixed those welds looks alot better then those other boogers :D i love the look of those braces clean functional and strong just how i like em