Federal bill to scrap our cars!!

bgn87

Just a member
This a-hole Tom Daschle is sponsoring a federal bill in favor of scrapping vehicles 15 years old and older, which of course includes all our cars :( Here's a link to an article on the SEMA website showing and talking specifically about GN's and T's. This sux. I hope our vendors read this and write to these guys. I think if enough of our vendors and aftermarket guys respond, as well as us as owners, it could make a difference.
http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=25770

No freaking way something like that would go through. You are talking over a million cars I bet. Plus probably over 100000 jobs lost to aftermarket suppliers.

Daschle is a POS. He and Gore can move to Saudi Arabia. Too bad Daschle wasnt the one to open the letter with the white powder

That's treason. He should be removed from the Senate and tried for his crimes. We the people have the right to shoot anyone who comes to take our personal property. This bill is one of the reasons we much never ever extend the ban on so-called assault weapons, because those high powered weapons are exactly the kind we will need to overthrow an abusive government.

The gov't has been trying to push this bill through for years and they have yet to pass the bill. Don't think it can be done. I remember reading about a similar bill (probably the same one)in Super Chevy 10 years ago. And I second Daschle is a douchbag:D

i would like to see someone come to my door and tell me there taking my buick to the scraper. they aint gettin it.:D

:mad: They would have to pry my cold dead hands off the car to even take it! If they came to get it they would not make it past the side walk!!!!!!!!!!!
In all seriousness though it will never happen, too many people with 15 year or older cars. Too much historical history in the american mussle cars, etc of the past. They can try but they will not win;)

Besides 90 pecent of everything on the roads today is a front wheel drive P.O.S.

As a MA resident I am not surprised to Senator John Kerry's name as a cosponsor. Just keep this in mind, Kerry is running for President in 2004 and with a bill like this it would be dangerous for him to be President because if it ever got his desk he would sign it. I don't like Kerry anyway but this is another reason to keep him from becoming President. My vote goes for anyone else but Kerry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last I checked this was a free country. That means we have a right to drive whatever car we won't so long as it passes inspection. I don't know about other states but in MA my car has to pass the same inspection my 1999 and 2001 Nissan's have to pass.

Whoa, whoa whoa....

Let me jump in with a few thoughts... First off, before any flames fire my way, let me say that I am against this bill. But for different reasons then mentioned in here.

I'm not sure how many people here read the actual section 803. It does NOT say they are going to come and TAKE your car!! So, let's clear THAT up. However, the incentive to scrap cars instead of using their parts for recycling does accelerate the extinction of our hobby and collectables. The recycling industry has plenty going for it, and I think does a wonderful service to all motorists, as well as environmentalists and our economy. So, passing a bill to just scrap these parts is definately a step in the wrong direction. Why not encourage sales from these recycling centers (junk yards). Why not give incentive for our vendors to continue making part, providing jobs and revenue??

Now, another reason I'm against this is the same as the gun control issue. If they start with one type, they will continue to chop away at our rights until they are at the point that they can come and take our guns and cars. With that being said, however, I couldn't disagree more with TurboTer's comment about having guns to overthrow the government! That kind of talk makes me sick. Trust me, our government may not be perfect, but there are PLENTY of places that things are worse. Go overthrow somebody else's government.

It would be interesting to see how they would determine the value of a vehicle. Just goes to show that SEMA has added their little spin to the bill, and made it look like all cars over 15yrs old would head for the furnace. I am still against it though, its only a matter of time before some freak democrat would try to make it mandatory

Old

This will never happen or they can enforce it. What would the illegal residents drive ? Those 1980 Chevy vans carrying 14 workers to the 7-11's will be missed in the morning ...

Let Dash-Hole campaign at an auction like this :p I can see these cars being destroyed....They will have to pay you what's it's worth ...Destroy a Hemi Baracuda ,list around $ 90,000...I guess Year One will like this.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/

http://www.kruseinternational.com/home/index.asp

http://www.mecumauction.com/

http://www.mecumauction.com/auctions/lot_detail.html?CART=105309383159932&LOT_ID=SC0503-8155

:p alan

The bill proposes federal funds be used to pay people to scrap their cars. Scrap meaning scrap, vs. junk which means the parts can be recycled.

"federal funds" means your tax dollars.

So your taxes will be used to pay some guy to scrap his car, so he can go get another similar car and repeat the process.

The stupid thing about this law is you don't need the government to fund this. Used car are so cheap now that even people below the poverty line can afford a 5 year old car. Let Junkyards recycle parts and don't pay them to scrap cars. It's your money.

Re: Whoa, whoa whoa....

Originally posted by gn85
With that being said, however, I couldn't disagree more with TurboTer's comment about having guns to overthrow the government! That kind of talk makes me sick. Trust me, our government may not be perfect, but there are PLENTY of places that things are worse. Go overthrow somebody else's government.

I didn't say we should overthrow the government. I said we need high powered guns in case we need to overthrow a potential abusive government, 10, 20, or 50+ years down the road. If government becomes abusive, we have the right to get rid of it. Abraham Lincoln himself said it.

This is classic left wingers hard at work trying to spend more of our money and make the government even larger than it already is. I think we should take anyone who has been in government for 15 years and scrap them and make room for new, better individuals that have not yet been corrupted.

That is the perfect idea. The guys causing all the trouble have been in power for years and years. Let's get rid of them and put some fresh blood in the office, people who actually care about working on the real problems of the country. Maybe they should spend all this time and this tax money on making sure nobody is homeless, that our kids get the best education possible, our elderly are taken care of, etc...

Can you imagine how much time and resources are wasted talking about things like this that just aren't all that important. If they really want old cars to be srapped maybe they can offer a larger tax break for people who donate their car for this cause then anyone who wants the tax break can volunteer their car. We need changes to some of these politicians that are way too comfortable in their posts. I just wish the majority of the American people would see that as well.