FAST loosing Crank sensor signal

turbo2nr

What would be the chances for a crank sensor to have good operation 99% of the time, and fail only occasionally? Could it be possible that a failing crank sensor, or bad alignment of a crank sensor cause engine to run fine, except for under boost >10psi ?

I thought my valve springs were soft, but just before I took off the covers I started to have lack of Crank signal on FAST unit. (Looking at LEDs)

I do have CAM signal during this no-start condition. If I wait a while the car then starts fine.
I briefly worked with Cal Hartline and One other local Guru at Dyno. We changed the Coil pack and plugs.

Right at 4900rpms or so, and just making some boost.....the car just kinda fell over and stopped making any more rpms and power.

Sounds fine from outside the engine...?

Do crank sensors for Buicks, and I guess Hall-effect sensors in general, have this behavior of working then not-working like this?

Thanks

The electronics on these cars are just like a woman, just when you think that you have figured them out, you sadly are mistaken?

We used to think the crank sensor was a go or no-go part, but this is not true. We have seen various issues solved by a new crank sensor.

With the influx of off-shore parts, we now have a new dilemma as their life can be spotty and erratic, and in some cases may not function at all when new?

remember that the crank sensor is powered by, and the signal is processed by the ignition module. so connection issues at that connector, grounds there, etc will affect this.

Bob

I would probably take a closer look at the wires or harness plugs. Maybe a loose bolt on the sensor bracket? Something that possibly vibrates loose when the right harmonics are reached. Water/ moisture?

Or just try another sensor. I keep 2 or 3 in the tool box somewhere.

Better yet, I just ordered a Bailey TR6 ignition unit and some coils from him.

I will install that along with new crank sensor to be sure, and go from there...

Also may try and check out/measure crank-play...? (Hope not to excessive!)

yup. after trying and changing many things trying to cure the upper rpm zipping of rpms and surging that feels like its bouncing off a rev limiter I pulled off the crank sensor and replaced it with another one. no more rpms hunting and rest of the symptoms. did notice that the piece of paper
said something about about a second gen sensor and the old one had the back tabs trimmed or broken?

Glad to here you found a simple cure. But to reiterate on what bob said earlier, I once had this problem as well. It turned out to be some electrical bug at the ignition module. It would happen when I would clean the motor or when I messed with the harness the day before or for no reason at all. I made sure my connections were tight and I greased up the harness plug and neatly put some RTV between the coil and module........ everything I could think of.

I must have gotten it. The problem never returned.

Yeah, I have a feeling Ign module is crap and/or the actual crank sensor?, but if that does not cure me.....then I am now considering bugs with my FAST unit.

Anyone posted issues with loss of Crank signal due to bad FAST unit before?

The symptoms are kinda strange for me to believe it is the Buick Ignition.

??

Waiting for Bob to whip me up a TR6 and ship it to me.

I have no idea if it will be tomorrow or in 6 months?

Bob...?

Yeah, I have a feeling Ign module is crap and/or the actual crank sensor?, but if that does not cure me.....then I am now considering bugs with my FAST unit.

??

Bob...?
I would lean towards the Ignition Module. I'm not saying the FAST doesn't have a problem. My FAST was sent in twice for problems (once was my fault). I'm saying it's likely to be the Module because I had the same intermittent problem before. And at that time, I had the factory computer.

I will also be going with a TR6 when my equipment begins to fail next time.
If my problems are coil related, I would first have to use up my coil-pack inventory. Then.......TR6!

??

Bob...?

Dennis >>> Kirban's has the TR6 in stock

Thanks guys....I already paid Bob.

It is OK to wait for parts for these cars.

I can understand.

TR6 received.....install and testing today! :)

WHEEEEEE! (Crossing fingers)

I have new crank sensor to install if TR6 is not helping.

As stated above, could be crappy plugs/connections at the ignition module with corrosion or bad wiring, or OEM Buick Ignition is whacky, or ??

Already tried a new stock-type Coil pack that had great ohm readings....no change there.

@TurboBob

TR6 looks fantastic! Very professional in construction, packaging, and features.

I have a questions please.

Getting ready to drive to my car and install this morning.....What is the Orange O-ring for exactly?

Does not mention it in the instructions, and I am flipping everything over and looking everywhere for a place to install this.

I give up! LOL

Give me a hint please.

??

Also, no instructions as to what/where the Grey wire goes to.

??

Is an option for something, or ?? Just leave it dangling in mid-air?

Sorry if I missed something in the instructions, but I read them 10 times now and still have no idea what the Grey wires is?

Missing the lock-washers mentioned in the instructions for mounting coil pack to the ignition. I will go find some if you think is really necessary?

(I don't think is necessary)

Thank you,
Scott

Last edited:
Bob.....

You should have in BIG BOLD RED LETTERS, all over your site including when ordering that your coil packs are NOT going to work with any Turbo Buick Ignition wires ever made and MUST use a completely different plug-style. All TR6 users must either re-wire your normal Turbo Buick wires with ?? ends, or throw them away and buy some more. 100% MUST-DO!!
I have no fokking clue what these are, and your site does not mention it either.
Why not just include them in with the damn coil-pack eh? I'd pay anything right now to get this over with!!

Last edited:
You FAQ on your site and downloads do not mention this IMPORTANT little detail.

No mention of it during ordering. You clearly saw I did not order wires.

How about a heads-up next time my-man?

Could have been in this thread, or emails that we have already had....

This is my first TR-6 of course! I do not know anything about it yet!

Never seen One, nobody has a TR near me. I am just One guy alone with this new thing today.

So, yes this newer style coil pack is found in One Million GM cars and trucks.

So, I needed wires today. Easy! Right? NO!

Most all FWD cars using this coil have Three short wires and Three long wires. Not going to work.

Any RWD Truck/Car within the past many years is not available aftermarket from NAPA or Advanced Auto.
Only available from OEM. Weird! (2010-2015 range) No part number exists in their data base for vehicles with the 4.3 V6 using this coil for any recent model-years.

After going back and fourth from house to PC to my car to Auto stores with a looooooong list of vehicles using this coil (Three fooking hours) I find a set from '08 Chevy/GMC 1500 trucks w/4.3 V6 that worked and cannot believe my city of Richmond, Va had only ONE SET available.

Car started!!

First time ever I have been able to go over 10lbs of boost in the year I owned this turd.

Runs clean and pulls hard! YES!!!! So happy!! Headed home to stop and finish tuning my car.

Now is finally time to play with my car, but I missed the cool turbo weather of Spring in my area.

Already over 90 degrees and blazing hot in the sun.

Thanks Bob!

Please tell me about the mysterious Grey wire and the Orange O-ring when you see this please.

Car has very nice build from TSM racer, FAST tuned by Cal Hartline (the best he could do with crap ignition...?) Had this POS for a year now, but lost energy after too much head scratching as to why car would just fall-over on face at high rpms and >10psi.

Regret not ordering this TR6 sooner! Stupid me!

Last edited:
Bottom line.....

AWESOME product!! Needs to be on every Turbo Buick engine ASAP!

Fixed my whacky Buick Ignition problems it seems.

Now I can enjoy my car for the first time.

I already had a beer to celebrate, and it's not even noon on a Sunday! LOL

Cheers to you all! :woot:

Last edited:
The grey wire can be connected to a 10k ohm potentiometer which will allow you to change the 2 step rpm from inside the car instead of taking the top off and changing the dip switches
Bryan