No Crank issue

87Grande.National

Hey guys hoping someone here can help me out with one cause I’m stumped, I recently got my engine back from the builder and put it back into the car, all my grounds are in, the one off the battery the ones off the back of the head, brand new battery, new crank sensor, but no crank I got under the car and jumped the starter so I know that’s fine but I’m not getting any power from the purple signal wire when I had a friend of mine try to start the car, I checked the wiring it’s all in the insulated tubing and I checked it’s not broken anywhere under the hood, could it maybe be an ignition switch the car does have an aftermarket remote to lock/unlock the doors so maybe something there is interfering with it ? (Also just a bit more info the security light flashes when I get into it and the voltage does drop when I try to crank it over)

Twist the column neck. The start sw may not be making contact.
Also, check the link rod to the trans. The linkage may be out of adjustment.
The start switch may be loose on the column too.

How did you jump the starter to get it to work?
What voltage reading if any do you get on the purple wire when trying to start it?
Try a remote switch wired to the purple wire to start the car.

Twist the column neck. The start sw may not be making contact.
Also, check the link rod to the trans. The linkage may be out of adjustment.
The start switch may be loose on the column too.
I twisted the column neck and saw it move the shifter, I played around with that and twisted it all the way counter clockwise to make sure it was in park but still no go, how can I determine if the linkage is out of adjustment? And how do I check if the start switch on the column is loose?
sorry for all the questions still new to the car

How did you jump the starter to get it to work?
What voltage reading if any do you get on the purple wire when trying to start it?
Try a remote switch wired to the purple wire to start the car.
I just used a jumper wire on the main terminal and touched the other end to where the purple wire goes, and when I had my friend in the car to try to crank it over I had zero voltage to the wire

It could be the factory alarm system which has a starter interrupt relay for that purple wire, or the C100 connector it goes out of, under the wiper motor area, could be an issue. ie open circuit.

I twisted the column neck and saw it move the shifter, I played around with that and twisted it all the way counter clockwise to make sure it was in park but still no go, how can I determine if the linkage is out of adjustment? And how do I check if the start switch on the column is loose?

If you can turn the key to the start position, the P/N safety interlock is working OK.

There is no P/N safety switch, it is via a steering column mechanical interlock. So if the key goes to the crank position, the column is good to go.

RemoveBeforeFlight

did you hold the key in the start position while moving collar or the shifter?
I just helped a guy who had same issue and it was the white box on the column that was rusted inside.the so called neatral safety switch.
we jumped the red to the wire that goes to the starter i think purple and it turned over. Thats how we pinpointed the switch on column

did you hold the key in the start position while moving collar or the shifter?
I just helped a guy who had same issue and it was the white box on the column that was rusted inside.the so called neatral safety switch.
we jumped the red to the wire that goes to the starter i think purple and it turned over. Thats how we pinpointed the switch on column
Ok I’ll try to start it with moving the collar but that white box on the column, is it easy to get too? Do you by chance have the part number ? I’ll try that if anything

Ok I’ll try to start it with moving the collar but that white box on the column, is it easy to get too? Do you by chance have the part number ? I’ll try that if anything

If this is your '87 GN, there is no P/N safety switch. It is done via a mechanical interlock in the column itself.

The white box at the base of the column provides for a backup lights switch. And sends a P/N signal to the ECM for idle control functionality.

RemoveBeforeFlight

If this is your '87 GN, there is no P/N safety switch. It is done via a mechanical interlock in the column itself.

The white box at the base of the column provides for a backup lights switch. And sends a P/N signal to the ECM for idle control functionality.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Ok so it looks like you are right, I found i wiring diagram and it shows that it goes from the ignition switch straight to the starter solenoid, Unless the car has a “theft deterent controller” and which case it has a starter interupt relay, so my next question is does anyone know where this would be located ? Under the steering column maybe?