F Body Radiator

Pop the cover off and look for a sticker on the chip.
Sorry I'm taking so long to reply, I popped the cover off and I don't remember the letters/numbers on the chip but somewhere else I found a similar one that is stock. So I believe mine is stock. I have ordered a new chip and new fan relays. The fan delay relay was a rusted mess so I figure the others probably ain't much better. All these new parts should come in tomorrow or Tuesday so maybe my baby will be running right by this weekend? By the way, how do I get the chip out of ECU? I don't want to just start prying on the thing. To the original poster, I'm sorry to be highjacking your thread.

Just grab the plastic ears on the chip and pop it straight out. Don't rock it as that will bend the legs on the end.

Fmic, external engine and trans cooler, purple ice,stock fan, 80s out and the fan cycles around 190.

It also knocks something like 26 pounds off the nose of the car (in front of the front axle) too.

it also has a lifetime warranty and it's still an instock item. If there's every a problem anywhere in the nation it can be replaced for the cost of a coolant change.

With the discount code it's $70 plus tax and it works. Plus,if you pad the order $5 (antifreeze perhaps) they'll ship it for free. and if you sign up for speedperks you'll get a $5 or $20 coupon on the next purchase that can be combined with the discount code on the next pass.

Honestly I don't see how Advanced makes any money with the online discounts and speedperks deals. I space my orders out so that I pay just a little over 1/2 price for all the stuff I get from there.

I can see factoring in the cost of an external trans cooler, but honestly, every TR out there should already have an external trans cooler. So that expense should have already been taken care of.
I found this radiator from Advanced Auto, it is a CARQUEST brand right? I have it my queue with a cap and shipping for $78. It looks like the Fbody has an oil cooler as well, you would just need to rig up the connectors and all. I have an external trans cooler already. Also does the fbody fit with the stock fan? Will the dual Intrepid Fans work with this radiator?
Rebuilding a 109 block, cost a lot, and I'm definitely not putting the stock radiator on my rebuilt block.

Last edited:
I have no idea how that make money....

Taking a $30 hit and then shipping it out of pocket has got to get that thing below cost or right at it.
No way near the cost. I think people underestimate how much some overseas stuff actually costs. I'd bet the entire radiator is Chinese. Probably costs $20-25 when they buy 1000 at a time. Boxes look like they are from USA. The radiators probably come In a bin that has molded cartons and stack perfectly and very tightly. They are making 70-80% margin on the parts at regular price.

I found this radiator from Advanced Auto, it is a CARQUEST brand right? I have it my queue with a cap and shipping for $78. It looks like the Fbody has an oil cooler as well, you would just need to rig up the connectors and all. I have an external trans cooler already. Also does the fbody fit with the stock fan? Will the dual Intrepid Fans work with this radiator?
Rebuilding a 109 block, cost a lot, and I'm definitely not putting the stock radiator on my rebuilt block.

Carquest recently got bought by Advance Auto. They're slowly changing all the names now. That radiator was called a Modine but now they sell Carquests. Pretty sure it's the same thing.

That isn't an oil cooler, it's a trans cooler. I didn't bother to use mine as I live in GA and I don't need help warming up my transmission. The term 'cooler' when it's inside the radiator is a misnomer. It's more of a 'stabilizer' that gets temps up faster and can only cool when the trans/oil is hotter than the coolant. When warmed up the oil and/or trans fluid increase the heat load on the radiator too.

I know the per unit cost is cheap.... but all the logistics it takes to physically get it to the counter have to be more than the actual cost of the part.

Carquest recently got bought by Advance Auto. They're slowly changing all the names now. That radiator was called a Modine but now they sell Carquests. Pretty sure it's the same thing.

That isn't an oil cooler, it's a trans cooler. I didn't bother to use mine as I live in GA and I don't need help warming up my transmission. The term 'cooler' when it's inside the radiator is a misnomer. It's more of a 'stabilizer' that gets temps up faster and can only cool when the trans/oil is hotter than the coolant. When warmed up the oil and/or trans fluid increase the heat load on the radiator too.
Isn't Trans fluid an oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is... but oil is just a smidgen thicker than ATF and the flow passages are designed for ATF..

With greater flow restriction you've have more oil go through the bypass on the sammich adapter instead of through the cooler.

Think it is more of a hydraulic fluid.
Well I mix my oil and trans fluid into the same container and take it to Autozone and I tell them it is trans fluid and motor oil mixed together and they still dump in their recycle container. Maybe they shouldn't be, but they do.

Well I mix my oil and trans fluid into the same container and take it to Autozone and I tell them it is trans fluid and motor oil mixed together and they still dump in their recycle container. Maybe they shouldn't be, but they do.

That's OK... It will probably be burned as a fuel, or refined again.

Did you know that a diesel engine will run on ATF?

That's OK... It will probably be burned as a fuel, or refined again.

Did you know that a diesel engine will run on ATF?

....And used cooking oil. jet fuel ( high grade kerosene) and probable even pee from a guy that has had way too much moonshine....

It is... but oil is just a smidgen thicker than ATF and the flow passages are designed for ATF..

With greater flow restriction you've have more oil go through the bypass on the sammich adapter instead of through the cooler.
What fan are you using with your radiator?

I'm running my original fan. I changed the stack order on the bolts to move it a little closer to the radiator.

On the highway the other day in very humid 86f weather with the AC on the highway my car was staying right at about 190. I think that's a little hot for doing some pulls but for a damn hot day and cursing on the highway with AC on.. It seems to be normal.

I'm running my original fan. I changed the stack order on the bolts to move it a little closer to the radiator.
I might be doing this same thing or at least until I can afford a more expensive one.

I might be doing this same thing or at least until I can afford a more expensive one.

the dual intrepid fans can be found for dirt .. ive seen them go on ebay for $50 brand new .. they work well on most applications