F Body Radiator

Here's a question on fans, I've seen both open frame dual fan setups and closed frame. The closed is really a flat panel with 2 holes in it for the fans. At low speeds I can see the closed style pulling in more air with both fans pulling. What about at highway speed? Does that panel create an air block reducing the cooling b/c the volume of air going through those 2 holes is reduced from the open style? I assume it would also create some drag by the resistance of air flow though the grill.

Here's a question on fans, I've seen both open frame dual fan setups and closed frame. The closed is really a flat panel with 2 holes in it for the fans. At low speeds I can see the closed style pulling in more air with both fans pulling. What about at highway speed? Does that panel create an air block reducing the cooling b/c the volume of air going through those 2 holes is reduced from the open style? I assume it would also create some drag by the resistance of air flow though the grill.

yes and no. If the flow area of the holes are greater than the flow area of the radiator, you're probably OK. Keep in mind, the radiator might have several square feet of area, but when you subtract the area for the flues and fins, it's much much smaller. Also the flue are designed to cause drag for more efficient convention to the airstream. What I don't like about the shrouds that use holes like that is they direct the air to be biased where the blades are. The outer areas won't cool as much and during speed they won't flow as much.

That being said, the only time any of these 'issues' will be a problem is if you're taxing the hell out of your cooling system. If your average use is around 100% of it's capacity, you're going to have issues. All it will take is an extra hot day, extended idle times, etc....

If you're cooling system is in good shape and not handicapped, idling should need a 100,000 CFM fan from hell. Sitting still the engine is making just enough heat to idle and slosh through the torque converter. It doesn't take a whole lot of cooling capacity to reject that (baring you live somewhere that introduced a new factor like a mile high desert)

I live in GA. It's 100 degrees outside right now and the Summer's just getting started. My cooling system consists of an F-body radiator, Advance Auto Parts water pump, a Vatozone heater core and an external trans cooler.

My temp stays rock solid and if I kick the crap out of my car the temp actually drops a smidge. I have a powerloger file showing that on a laptop that has no screen. It was posted on this site somewhere but I can't find it.

I'm currently running the Intrepid fans and a stock replacement radiator. I have an F body radiator to go in for weight savings. I was looking at new fans and was just wondering about the effects of the solid plates with 2 fans. The fans are pretty big so I'm sure they'll pull tons of air. I see your point about air flow not making it to areas away from the holes. Guess the only thing to do is try them and see. I can always go back to the Intrepids if I see something dramatic. Currently I see 170 90% of the time. 180 on a stupid hot day but I usually don't drive around those days anyway.

As I said in previous posts, my stock 87 T was always running 190+ up to 205 or so. Last weekend I put a TT chip and new fan relays in. Sunday on my 20 minute interstate drive to church it went up to 187. Coming home on country roads it stayed at 187. Later, I took a short drive around town, 187. I can live with that!

You're running a stock temp thermostat which is 195 but TT chip turns on the fan at 167 unless you had it changed. It's typical to run a 160 with a TT chip. Your fan is going to running all the time. There is much debate on engine temp. Some say 160 it too cold others say no problem during warm months. You can do a search to see what you think. Personally I've run a 160 for 14 years.

Thanks Pronto. Way back when I was a teen my mother had a 1960 Dodge with a 318 ci. That thing would overheat every summer. She took it to several "mechanics" who tried all sorts of fixes. I finally pulled the thermostat and the problem stopped. Come fall and the thermostat went back in. Well , she finally gave the car to me and one of the things I found was that thing was very carboned up. I believe it was from running cold all summer.

Pretty sure that 1960 Dodge came with a carb that's slightly less accurate than fuel injection.

Hotter temps make for a more efficient engine both in power and gas mileage...

...unless you go over the threshold.

Pretty sure that 1960 Dodge came with a carb that's slightly less accurate than fuel injection.

Hotter temps make for a more efficient engine both in power and gas mileage...

...unless you go over the threshold.
that carb was so accurate I adjusted it with a hammer! LOL

How big of a part dose the Heater core play in the cooling system ? If it's failing will you see higher temps on the engine?

Not everyone.. Just people that have been told thats what they should be running and they dont know better

On most setups 180 is probably the best solution..

Even worse we have a bunch of guys running E85 with 160* stats...

Not everyone.. Just people that have been told thats what they should be running and they dont know better

On most setups 180 is probably the best solution..
I agree, especially for guys who are just cruising. My Chevy Cruze runs an electronic Tstat, but under normal conditions it opens at 224F.

Even worse we have a bunch of guys running E85 with 160* stats...

it always amazes me how people know that gas engines and diesel engines aren't the same....

...but treat likker engines like they are gas engines, and then bitch when things don't work right.

it always amazes me how people know that gas engines and diesel engines aren't the same....

...but treat likker engines like they are gas engines, and then bitch when things don't work right.

Thats why some of these cars run their ass off and others are turds...

When i see and hear guys with heads cams turbos converters E85 running 11's .. I just shake my head.. You have to try to get a E85 car to run that slow

And the cooling system is an example of how quickly things can go bad as far as what people do