External Oil Pumps.

The real question isn't whether you can afford a drysump system, it's can you afford to lose your engine, can you afford to lose your car, and do you have any sense of self preservation?

I trust my engine builders opinions on what will get the job done for me. Each to their own. We can both agree on the benefits of a dry sump system but I have to ask why will my motor blow up if I don't use one?

I trust my engine builders opinions on what will get the job done for me. Each to their own. We can both agree on the benefits of a dry sump system but I have to ask why will my motor blow up if I don't use one?

Reread post #19. If anything is unclear, let me know.

Go to Reher Morrison's site and go to his tech page. There are more than a few articles that will inform you on the short comings of a wet sump system when you get to a certain performance level. He has some very interesting examples.

Ted A. It may be that your car is not up to a performance level that would benefit from a drysump system. Just make sure you keep an eagle eye on that oil pressure gauge. I for one would rather pay closer attention to other tuning parameters while feeling completely comfortable that my oil delivery is not a problem.

I'm not trying to tell you that your engine guy doesn't know what he's doing. Just do your own research so you can make a more informed decision.

Let me make something clear here. I once also thought that I didn't need a drysump system. With my first engine, my target performance was low 10s. A wetsump system will do fine with that target. But when you blow an engine, even if the car is only capable of running 12s, and you're sliding sideways down the track at over 100 mph, I WILL GUARANTEE YOU, let me repeat that, I WILL GUARANTEE YOU, you will be thinking about that drysump system.

When I blew my second engine, I had the drysump on it. There was a 2" stripe of oil behind the car. The clean up crew was looking all over the place as if they were thinking, "Dang, where's all the oil? This is it?" The clean up of the car was very simple too. With the first engine, every inch of the undercarriage was covered in dripping oil.

For people who organize a racing class to disallow the use of a drysump system, well they're just plain ignorant. The vast benefit from a safety stand point and the decreased track down time in the event of an engine blowup should be reason enough for everyone involved to promote the use of drysump systems. At the very least keep it an option for the racer. Heck. If people are going through the expense and making the effort to install an external pump already, shouldn't that be showing us that there's a need here? Good grief!

You guys that race this particular class need to grow some and petition the organizers to change the rule about drysump.

Reread post #19. If anything is unclear, let me know.

Go to Reher Morrison's site and go to his tech page. There are more than a few articles that will inform you on the short comings of a wet sump system when you get to a certain performance level. He has some very interesting examples.

Ted A. It may be that your car is not up to a performance level that would benefit from a drysump system. Just make sure you keep an eagle eye on that oil pressure gauge. I for one would rather pay closer attention to other tuning parameters while feeling completely comfortable that my oil delivery is not a problem.

I'm not trying to tell you that your engine guy doesn't know what he's doing. Just do your own research so you can make a more informed decision.

Let me make something clear here. I once also thought that I didn't need a drysump system. With my first engine, my target performance was low 10s. A wetsump system will do fine with that target. But when you blow an engine, even if the car is only capable of running 12s, and you're sliding sideways down the track at over 100 mph, I WILL GUARANTEE YOU, let me repeat that, I WILL GUARANTEE YOU, you will be thinking about that drysump system.

The engines that Reher&Morrison talk about are big inch combinations where there is more area for the oil to be trapped. Ask me how I know. ;)
As far as more safe probably, but now more classes require the use of diapers for that reason. We run the piss out of a 440 cu in BB Chevy to 8800 rpm wet sump and have never had an oil related failure.

The engines that Reher&Morrison talk about are big inch combinations where there is more area for the oil to be trapped. Ask me how I know. ;)
As far as more safe probably, but now more classes require the use of diapers for that reason. We run the piss out of a 440 cu in BB Chevy to 8800 rpm wet sump and have never had an oil related failure.

What do you mean by, "... there is more area for the oil to be trapped." I'm talking about a Reher Morrison engine based on the BBC. I don't think their wet sump oil pan is a whole bunch different, size wise, from a typical racing BBC pan. Or is it? Educate me here.

You think a drysump is probably safer?

There are a lot of people that run a wet sump and don't have oil related failures. I hope you're not suggesting that just because you haven't had an oil related failure with a wet sump that they don't occur? I assure you, there also are some that aren't as lucky as you. I chose to take a proactive step to be sure that I would not be one of the unlucky few. With the money and time I have invested in my engine, I chose the 'sure bet'.

I know my performance is a little on the lackluster side right now. I know I should turn it up a little but this has got me a little concerned about having oiling problems if I turn up the wick.

When I blew my second engine, I had the drysump on it. There was a 2" stripe of oil behind the car. The clean up crew was looking all over the place as if they were thinking, "Dang, where's all the oil? This is it?" The clean up of the car was very simple too. With the first engine, every inch of the undercarriage was covered in dripping oil.

Maybe you need to find a better engine builder/tuner:D

oil pumps

I think ill keep my wet sump stock type oiling system [dls] pump cover etc,
Ted, i over reved my engine to 7800 rpm when i broke the tires loose in second gear and i didnt hurn anything. i have everthing pump, hoses, pulleys etc, for dry system, Nascar has more trouble with tubing or hoses busting or leaking oil than they have from blowed up engines, i only want to make around 1000 hp and im getting pretty close now, see i dont give a **** what some people do or say i use what works for me. I have been playing this game cars, engine etc, for over 50 years of my 68, and im still learning
so ted i dont think i would change anything in your tune or engine it looks to me like you have your **** together, just my two cents,:D

Ok,

So

Can we look at what it takes to build a Successful dry sump system? Id like to know more before I try and make any educated decisions.

A.j.

Nascar has more trouble with tubing or hoses busting or leaking oil than they have from blowed up engines,
I wonder why. Maybe you would like to see it the other way around? That might make for more exciting crashes for sure.

Why do all professional racing organizations, given the choice, choose to use drysump oiling systems? How many Pro Stocks are using wet sump? Walk up to Anderson and tell him he'd be better off using a wet sump. He'll think you're some kind of nutcase.

If Nascar teams are having that many problems with leaking hoses, they'd better fire someone's ace and get someone in there that knows what he's doing.

Ya know, in the long run you guys are going to do what you can afford to do. It's got to be the cost, the hassle or the lack of mechanical ability to install a system, because there is more than enough information all around that can convince even an elephant that drysump is the only way.
I've said my peace and have done my best to educate you guys. If you're too lazy to go outside the boundaries of this forum and do some real research, well, I can't help that. Good luck with your racing and keep safe. Cause, god forbid, I might be beside you one day.

Ok,

So

Can we look at what it takes to build a Successful dry sump system? Id like to know more before I try and make any educated decisions.

A.j.

A.j. I think you should start a thread on the subject. I get the feeling we're intruding here. We should let these fellas to their wet sump discussions.

Ya know, in the long run you guys are going to do what you can afford to do. It's got to be the cost, the hassle or the lack of mechanical ability to install a system, because there is more than enough information all around that can convince even an elephant that drysump is the only way.
I've said my peace and have done my best to educate you guys. If you're too lazy to go outside the boundaries of this forum and do some real research, well, I can't help that. Good luck with your racing and keep safe. Cause, god forbid, I might be beside you one day.

Two blown motors, less HP than we make on gas without a extra power adder. Who's doing what wrong? You know Don I respect that you do something different but to come in with your attitude toward others that are going WAY FASTER than you makes no sense. Just maybe some of us are not as dumb as you think.

Two blown motors, less HP than we make on gas without a extra power adder. Who's doing what wrong? You know Don I respect that you do something different but to come in with your attitude toward others that are going WAY FASTER than you makes no sense. Just maybe some of us are not as dumb as you think.

Right on ted, he seems to me like he is talking down to me, like im dumb, no money lazy,etc, same way with the distributor thread, no big deal but i have a complete weaver three stage dry sump pump with oil pan, drive belt etc, i sold the oil tank, like i have three cam gear drive but i still use a rollmaster timing chain, i wish he would come to bowling green[gsca nats] i would like to run him, wouldnt it be a bitch to get beat by a old 68 year old hillbilly using a engine built by same old man, i have to get my header remade as the welding only lasted one run as soon as i get the hay baled that is,:D

The learning curve of burning pure methanol. :biggrin: Lost only two. Others should be so lucky. :cool:
BY past posts It APPEARS you really do your homework on your car.
Looks like you should have spent more time learning the methanol before running it.
Props for doing it with Methanol,I love the sound.

BY past posts It APPEARS you really do your homework on your car.
Looks like you should have spent more time learning the methanol before running it.
Props for doing it with Methanol,I love the sound.

You're right. I should have done more homework on burning the methanol. Unfortunately, at the time when I started this project in the late 1990s, there wasn't too much information available to someone looking to burn pure methanol. Especially burning pure methanol with a Buick V6, which is quite a bit different than burning it in a Hemi. The main thing that got me was the horsepower level that my engine ended up making. It caught me off guard. I didn't expect the engines to make the power they did and didn't have the fuel there to support it. That's a nice surprise, by the way. I didn't expect the small heads to want as much turbo either.

I'm sorry if I came off as talking down to anyone. The only intention I had was to help someone, anyone, even just one person prevent a bad situation. I guess I should have just kept to myself and not tried to help you guys out.

Hey! You guys could try to come out this way too if you really want to run me. It would be fun.

I didn't realize I was addressing only people that are way faster than me. How much faster are they by the way?

I didn't realize I was addressing only people that are way faster than me. How much faster are they by the way?
Ted has run 8.4* at 163+ with TA production style heads an a T4 88
at a bit over 3400#s on race fuel.

So with the 91 and methanol,you should be well into the 7s i would say!:eek:

Now go do your homework on the fuel system that new 91x will require;)

They are now making injectors up into the 500# an hour range:eek: