Exhaust whistle

Joe 1320

Torqueus Maximus
I'm chasing a whistle and can't seem to find the source. It only manifests itself in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear under light load. As soon as the turbo starts to spool into boost, the only whistle is the turbo. I've traced all the vacuum hoses, intake gaskets, I still can't find it there. I do have a header leak that is in the process of being fixed. When the headers were put on the new motor, regular felpro sandwich type gaskets were used and when the header bolts became loose, the leak burned though the gasket. It is possible that the metal remnants of the gasket are responsible for the whistle? It does ssem to coincide with the "spit and tick" from the header leak. I'm at a loss for the whistle.......

Thanks.

my Gn does the same thing on the vac/boost gauge i have in the car on 0 vac 0 boost the exhaust whistles no big deal i like the sound of the turbo

The best way to check for exhaust leaks is to stuff a rag in 1 tail pipe and put a air nozzle in the other side with a rag around it also. Have a buddy pressurize the exhaust and go feel and listen where the air is coming out.

sounds like a post turbo exhaust sound.

Are you sure it is not just your exhaust system?

Hope you find it. A friend of mine had a Cutlass that whistled at about 35MPH. We looked forever for what caused it. Never found it until one day we washed his car and he took an air gun and was blowing it off. He hit a spot on his grill that was chipped and it "whistled". He went back and forth and it did it every time. Put a small piece of black tape over it and it quit. Freak chance of finding it, but after we quit looking ,it got found. Try the air-gun idea.

:biggrin:

Truth is, I don't know what it is. Nothing had been changed since the motor install, there hasn't been any problem for the last 1000 miles. Until...... the header bolts became loose and burned though the gasket. I thought about the maybe it was the internal wastegate, I just don't know. If fixing the header leak doesn't do the trick I'll just have to search elsewhere. Maybe there is a slight leak at the turbo to downpipe union?