Engine Grounds

Here is a simple question for Mr.Micale and Mr.Spina. Forget about it being a Turbo Buick. Say you are welding some frame braces or reinforcements on the rear frame of the car. The welder is in front of the car. Do you clamp the ground on the body of the frame of the car????

If you are welding to the frame you clamp the welder to the frame.

Clamp would go on the frame, near the weld area. You wouldn't use the body as a ground.

Nick Micale said:
Since I did my first head gasket job many years ago, I have NEVER replaced the engine harness ground rings on back of the head, it is way too difficult. :eek:

Since GM installed these grounds on an intake studded bolt at the trans dipstick, I decided to follow their example. :)

Just exchange the bolt with a stud from the front of the intake where the factory lifting bracket is mounted as that bracket is expendable, and use that as your ground terminal! :D

X2

My point is this. If you want to transfer ground through something would you use a pop can or a I beam?

IMO You have a much better chance loosing a body ground than a ground bolted to and transferred through the frame. It's allot heavier steel than the body.

My point is this. If you want to transfer ground through something would you use a pop can or a I beam?

IMO You have a much better chance loosing a body ground than a ground bolted to and transferred through the frame. It's allot heavier steel than the body.
I gotta agree with Rick here. Grounding to the frame and then the engine and body from the frame makes much better sense. Granted that the frame is lower and gets more moisture exposure, but if the ground is done right it should be better than going to the body.

I see no reason to ground the frame since all of your electrical components are either on the engine or body. The only exception I can think of is a trunk mounted battery. On a stock wired car I see no benefit.