Engine build, what would you guys do?

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Im trying to figure out what you guys would do if you had a little money saved up and your car needed a rebuild. Little back story on whats going on skip if you want.

Had engine rebuilt by known GN shop a while back, car was running great. Torque converter failed and took out transmission. Got trans / converter replaced and while re installing trans, i dropped the oil pan (because i found flakes in oil) to find it had trashed my thrust bearing which in turn sent metal through all the other mains and ruined them, and probably all my other bearings for that matter. I tried to replace them with engine in car and it lasted a while. But just recently they have failed again so engine is coming out for rebuild.

Mods i have - TE44 turbo, 3" downpipe and exhaust no cat, JE pistons, 204/214 edelbrock cam, TA performance headers, PTC 10" 2800rpm converter, Billet Servo, HR trans/engine mounts, champion ported irons, champion ported intake manifold, 42.5 injectors, turbo tweak chip (did not reburn for the heads, not sure if needed), almost every stud is ARP, UMI lower control arms, pinion snubber, blistien shocks, gbody parts rear brake upgrade, not sure if i should add but i also have the fiberglass front bumper and gbody parts aluminum rims with nitto 275/60R15.

What would you guys do during the rebuild, here is a list of what i was thinking. But wanted some input. Thanks

Razors alky kit, calico coated bearings for rods and crank (if you guys know of better bearings please tell me), 4340 steel crank (if mines ruined), 2 center billet main caps, new turbo tweak chip burned.

Last edited:
leave that pinion snubber at the store. It'll do more harm than good.

It looks like you're pretty much putting the engine back together the way it was. Only with a few stronger parts here and there. Then adding alky.

Just make sure to tear it down to the bare block and remove ALL the galley plugs and make sure EVERY bit of grit is out of the block this time.

Ok cool so no pinion snubber at all, would my setup be possible to hit high tens? Im afraid i may need a bigger turbo / bigger stall and thats not something i want to do right now. I am happy with the cars performance right now, but faster is better like always.

Probably not. 10's aren't something you can just 'buy' with a component list.

I have a much different train of thought when it comes to building engines. I like to imagine the most efficient way to have all the subsections play nice with each other..... then tune it and let the chips fall where they fall. A 1/4 mile ET is a side effect of the build and the tune. Not the other way around.

It's also hard for me, personally, to be helpful when I see a mention of 10s. Ever since the 'slow and delirious' came out, that phrase has became one of my biggest pet peeves.

I gotcha, I would be happy for it to be just a tad faster then it was. I know the alky kit and a couple more pounds of boost will take care of that. But I want the bottom end to last a good long while. Thats my main concern.

I'd move up to a set of 60's, get it running right THEN add the alky....

after that you'd be amazed at how many '10 second' cars you outrun with your 11/12 second car.

intercooler 002.JPG motor 005.JPG first Vacation  GN Parts 021.JPG Mr.Brown writes some of the best responses, and that one with the "chips fall where they may" Really the entire response was pretty BADASS. I am sitting here my self pondering over what is going to tie together this motor myself

I'd move up to a set of 60's, get it running right THEN add the alky....

after that you'd be amazed at how many '10 second' cars you outrun with your 11/12 second car.

I would be really amazed if a 11sec car outran a 10sec car... Are you trying to say most people throw the 10sec around to loosely or are maybe lying?

There's a big difference between an actual car that will cover 1/4 of 1 mile in 10.99 seconds or less.....

and a "10 second" car driven by some guy that just got done jerking off to The Fast and the Furious.

Yes, lying.

The other side of the coin is the same exact car that can cover a 1/4 mile in less than 11 seconds can't that replicate that pass on the street.

Hurry up and put that car together, Al... I wanna see all those parts you been collecting under one hood!

I'm in the same boat I wiped a cam so engine is at machine shop. Putting in a roller cam set up and some nice pistons. I have all the common bolt ons with a 49 turbo and 42 injectors no stahll only doing a 206 cam. Just want a fun street car that can handle most cars on road.

I really am not shooting for nines with this motor.... I would like to just have it be around 650-700hp, but we will see

A car with 10 second power will have a hard time hooking up on the street even with DR !!!! So it is possible to out run a ten second car with a 12 second car from street light dig !!!!! :)

A car with 10 second power will have a hard time hooking up on the street even with DR !!!! So it is possible to out run a ten second car with a 12 second car from street light dig !!!!! :)
Probably not. 9 sec car ran 10.50@137 with a 1.9 sixty foot off of vacuum launch on drag radial. Same car with hard as rock 255/50-16 radials 11.20@137. Maybe a 10.99 car with shit driver and hard as a rock shit tires against a 12.00 car with drag radials and good driver. Maybe then. Plenty of 10, 9, and 8 sec cars here in CT that hook up on the street.

What intercooler do you have? I have a larger turbo and injectors than you have but the rest of my build looks like what you have and my car should be able to run 10's, based on my 1/8 mile time (see sig).