Easiest engine swap?

84GNwith87eng

The body of my 84 GN is total ****, completely rusted and I don't even feel like I want to mess with it anymore. Engine runs well and trans is fresh...

so I'm thinking, whats the easiest swap that requires least amount of work and fabrication? (a car other than a GN/monte/olds)

I'd like a sleeper, but I'm just playing with the idea, if anyone has some good ideas, let me know...;)

put it in an AMC gremlin...

:D :D

someday.... someday i'll put to use one of the ones we have sitting around in our salvage yard ;)

GM made a turbo 3.8 El Camino, that'd definitely not be one you saw every day. I'll have an Astro van 3.8 turbo powered one of these years, if things come together.

how about a racer pacer, you know the upside down fish bowel:D .actually any g body woud be the easy way out.

HOW ABOUT A TOYOTA SUPRA, LOL!!!
tHAT WILL PISS OFF THE RICERS AND THE BUICK GUYS ALL AT ONCE, HEHEHE!

OR ELSE GET A HYUNDAI EXELL

Ever think of a Volvo 7 series? Bruce was set to do one, but lost interest. There is a member on the board here with an old 240 that is sweet. Sleepers, lots of interior room, and a safe car as well.

these

the old 77 Celica liftback,

or Renegade sells engine swap kits for the Porsche 944 !

how bout a bitchin 69 Camaro

a Opel?

Almost every car I see nowadays, I think that car would be cool with my GN motor in it.

My Fiancee's 93 mustang (trunk car)
The guy behind my shop with a nice Vega (He wants $2500 for it)
A 67 Chevy II (Nova)
A second generation RX-7
A Datsun 280Z
Some sorta small truck (S-10, Dakota, Toyota, Isuzu ...)
Some kind of fiberglass kit car (mid-engine design)
A Chevy Corvair
A Prowler with a Stage motor with twins mounted externally on both sides of the hood with open downpipes mounted externally as well (My favorite) :eek: :eek: :D :D

I am dreaming again ... Pinch me

Billy

Swaps in order of what I feel easiness
1. NA Regal
2. Anyother A/G-body
3. 64-72 A-body
4. 77-96 B-body
5. 70.5-81 Camaro
Notice they are all GM, mainly because all of these cars came with Buick v6's or thier larger cousins, Buick 350 V8's making motor mounts and oilpan clearance easy. Some other cool but in no particular order swaps would be:
63-65 Riviera (This is my current project)
61-66 Buick Wildcat/LeSabre/Electra
61-63 Buick tiny Special/Skylark
Some newer BMW for some antisnob action
Tri-Five Box Chevy
82-92 F-body (heaterbox clearance issues)
93-02 F-body (AC compressor and crossmember issues)
2nd Gen midengine Corvair
62-67 'box Nova
a Fat Fender or "T" based hot rod with no hood sides and a set of twins hanging in space with sidepipes, no intercooler, and a powerglide.

Just some mad musings,

that be me..:)

2quiktocare said:
Ever think of a Volvo 7 series? Bruce was set to do one, but lost interest. There is a member on the board here with an old 240 that is sweet. Sleepers, lots of interior room, and a safe car as well.

Yeah the volvo is cool but its a lot of work.The stock rear wont hold so I put a 8.8 in with 11" drums. Holds a good 6#s at the line on the te-62.. :D

Attachments

• Firebird 7_11_05-02 (2)_Email.JPG
    Firebird 7_11_05-02 (2)_Email.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 422
  • Firebird 7_11_05-06 (2)_Email.JPG
    Firebird 7_11_05-06 (2)_Email.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 335
  • Firebird 7_11_05-09 (2)_Email.JPG
    Firebird 7_11_05-09 (2)_Email.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 332
  • Firebird 7_11_05-18 (2)_Email.JPG
    Firebird 7_11_05-18 (2)_Email.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Firebird 7_11_05-37 (2)_Email.JPG
    Firebird 7_11_05-37 (2)_Email.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 347
CTX-SLPR said:
a Fat Fender or "T" based hot rod with no hood sides and a set of twins hanging in space with sidepipes, no intercooler, and a powerglide.

I've actually considered this with my '36 but can't get over the need for air filtration going into the turbos. Going filterless would only work on a race car. Just curious, why no intercooler? That would simplify things but I never considered it due to the performance loss.

There's actually enough room ABOVE the motor to do twins in the '36...... ;)

They used to put the Buick 3.8 in ~'76-'80 RWD Sunbirds, Starfires, & Skyhawks. I'd think it would be easy to squeeze the turbo in there and still use the original motor/tranny mounts. Dave C.

The problem with those is actually finding one! I haven't seen one of them in years.

Yes, I gave up looking after several months. Since I went with the RX-7, I've seen a half dozen or so on e-bay. One had super low mileage (like 3K), and sold for ~$800. It had been lightly hit, and most of the repair was completed.

DAVID C said:
They used to put the Buick 3.8 in ~'76-'80 RWD Sunbirds, Starfires, & Skyhawks. I'd think it would be easy to squeeze the turbo in there and still use the original motor/tranny mounts. Dave C.

Had a Monza with the 3.8. Saw a few on ebay last week. Light body plus alot of hp and torque equals fun to drive. :cool:

Small trucks are definately not on the "easy to do list"

-scott wile

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 744