87 engine swap in 84 T-type?

Rob84t-type

Hello everyone I'm glad to be a part of the forum!! I'm kinda new to turbo regals so please bare with me and my questions if you don't mind lol. I have 1984 T-type with the stock hot air motor that I want to swap out with a 1987 Buick grand national motor that I own. The 87 gn block has the complete engine harness but I don't have the 87 ecm I only have the 84 that's inside the car, but I also have an ATR racing intercooler, a 3.5 inch ATR downpipe, as well as the te49 turbocharger to go with it. That being said, is it an easy swap? What else do I need to swap it with? Will the engine harness from the 87 be compatible with the 84 body harness? I'd appreciate the help thanks!

I will save you some grief and highly suggest you do not re-use a 30 year old engine harness. If your going to upgrade to the 86/87 lc2, contact Caspers electronics for a new harness.

Alright I'll look into it and I appreciate the suggestion! I looked it up and it's around $1200 little expensive but not too bad. What else do you recommend?

Alright I'll look into it and I appreciate the suggestion! I looked it up and it's around $1200 little expensive but not too bad. What else do you recommend?

It’s not cheap, but well worth it in the long run. Chasing electrical gremlins with these cars is not a fun job. You’ll need an 86/87 ECM with a chip too. Not sure about the 84 body harness compatibility with the 87. I would verify that the 87 engine is sound before dropping it in the 84.

I did this engine dropped rite no probs. Did have some harness issues, I used the old one from the 87. At the time i didnt know caspers had a new one. Basically the same car just two years older. Take your time do a bunch of little things while you have the engine out,esp lots of cleaning. Big diff in the way it will run for sure.

Switch out the motor mnt, tranny mnt. Either poly or regular,stuff like that while you have it apart. I know it takes more time and money but way easier now than later.

No not really. I switched the 87 to the 84. Pain but with engine out made it easier. I also switched all body mnts and gas tank and lines. All brake lines,pretty much everything cause the car was rusty and dirty underneath,maybe yours is ok? Lots of work that just led to more work plus if remember the fuse panels are little different,took awhile to get all the power to the correct places. If it doesnt start at first check and double check and double check the fuses.

I also did a 1986 engine/ecm into a 1984 t type. It was 15 years ago, but I don't remember too many issues with it. My a/c didn't work anyway so that was one aspect out of the way. I think most of the body wiring is the same or very similar.