E-Bay Cars

87GNat

Dont Let Em Grind Ya Down
I paid 15 for mine. It had all the receipts, and I couldnt have built the car for that.

Mine I bought totally stock with nothing wrong with it, and it was beyond mint. I said I wasn't gonna modify it and people told me not to then had people tell me modify it. Well mine is modified. Most people who buy these cars are gonna race it, not all but most, and then they will get the itch. They will begin being on the boards researching and start out modifying the air filter, then they move onto other things. The fact is, I am extremely confident, if I had a whole weekend with no interuptions, I could put mine back to complete original. I even have the numbers matching original block with the stock cam pistons etc. I have everything down to the AC delco hose clamps.

Bottom line is I wanted to have fun with my car. However every little piece I took off, I saved and kept. Which is why I didn't have any problems modifying mine because of that fact. I can and have the option to put mine back to 100% original. So I would say modify it, cause if it came down to it and you had a buyer who said I want a original GN with no mods, you could put it back to original. Hope this helps.....

Resale value isn't everything. Life is short. If you're "battling yourself" every day because you want to modify the car but worry that it won't sell for top dollar down the road, you have to decide what's more important to you. Did you buy the car to build it up and enjoy it or was it solely a financial investment?

I got my car completely stock and had family, friends, and everyone else tell me not to touch a single bolt on the car because it was in such great shape and would be worth more stock. But I do not enjoy a car through leaving it sit in the garage collecting dust, never getting to turn a wrench on it. I got this car to have fun. I never plan on getting rid of it so what do I care if my modifications make it worth less. These days the same people who told me to never mod the car are always impressed when I install something new, asking how fast the car is now, etc.

It is true that many people on the market (including myself back when I was looking for mine) will not want a modified car because they don't know who did the work or if it was done well. Other people will just want to know who did the work and how long ago it was done and it won't stop them from buying the car.

If you want to mod the car, mod the car. If you want to keep it for resale value, keep it for value. If you want to mod the car and still sell it for good money later, do quality work, keep records of who/when/where did the work, keep old/stock parts safely boxed up and organized in case you want to switch back or if the next owner wants the old parts, and you should still get a pretty penny for it. As these cars get harder to find, people will have to be less picky about whether or not it's 100% stock. Beggars can't be choosers. If someone wants your car they will buy it.

As evident in that eBay listing, even a car with modifications will sell if it's in good shape with quality work and a record of what's been done to the car.

I just have the feeling that a stock GN may, one day, be as valuable as an early hemi car. Look at what those cars are going for stock.

I did not buy for investment but it is allways a factor.

Im thinkin bout buying a t type and modding that and keeping the GN nice and stock

I just have the feeling that a stock GN may, one day, be as valuable as an early hemi car. Look at what those cars are going for stock.

I did not buy for investment but it is allways a factor.

Im thinkin bout buying a t type and modding that and keeping the GN nice and stock

Thats a good and reasonable option but like I stated before as long as you keep each and every part you can put it back to original and no worries. Instead of spending the money on a T, spend it on good and safe mods for the GN, keep all the parts and 20 years down the road you see they are going for 500,000 or more, then take a weekend put your original parts back on it and you'll be perfect.

Be like me, buy a donor motor, build it pull yours and drop it in. Then everything will be 100% original.