Dump the gear and go timing chain?

Donnie,
As long as you have been around here that is little hard to believe..
Gary
I've run coated bearings with a geardrive, so I've never had the chance to see how they do with a chain. I guess now, I would never run an uncoated bearing with a chain or belt drive. With a geardrive, it's not as critical. I run plain HD cam bearings with the geardrive.
I make it a mission to learn everyday.

Dont fight it Gary:) He will suck you in with a question and then argue with you about the answer you give..

When ive looked at the car it had a stage 2 front cover so it couldnt have been belt drive unless it had a wet belt system?
I wont dispute what you saw , but Im more than positive that over the last 10 years + every time I have looked at that car it had a belt drive on it. Mike

I wont dispute what you saw , but Im more than positive that over the last 10 years + every time I have looked at that car it had a belt drive on it. Mike
Do you run odd fire with a belt drive? The reason i ask is Neal said he talked to comp cams and they said for some reason the odd fires dont like the belt? I still have the odd fire motor i want to build with the belt drive i bought from you.

Yes I run oddfire. One thing that makes mine different from most is Im driving a good sized fuel pump directly off the front of the cam. I believe that provides enough resistance/drag that it helps with keeping tension on the belt. A friend of mine used to run a Jenkins v6 chevy in super stock. It would eat belts up , so they eventually went to a gear drive. Problem was driving it around!! At low RPM that belt is not happy. It would always break the belt on the return road ideling back. I also idle mine at 1200+ RPM which also helps. The dannyBee belt drive also uses a 1.375" belt instaed of the jesel 1" belt and now were using kevlar belts on top of that.
Mike

I was looking at a used chain i have from 3 years ago when i freshened the motor and look what i found:eek: . This chain had 4 or 5 dyno pulls and maybe 5 passes before i took it apart:eek: Never even noticed the pin had slid part of the way out of the link. It looks like the end of the pin was never coined over right.You can bet im going to look at my new chain close.......Dam i wish i had my belt installed now...The chain i just took out had 60 or so passes and dyno time plus some street time and looked fine.If you click on the picture it gets larger.
DSCN1638.jpg
DSCN1636.jpg

Ok so what is the big issue using a gear drive again? I would think its 1000% more reliable than a chain?

After thinking about that in the shower. I thought they used pneumatic valving controlling it with solenoids somehow?? Are they pneumatic valve springs being pushed open by a cam?? Threw me off here!! Mike

Neither one and at the end of this summer im putting my belt drive system on...;)
Make sure it's wide enough and is the latest, greatest material. Since it seems the system is not perfected yet.

Make sure it's wide enough and is the latest, greatest material. Since it seems the system is not perfected yet.
Its the one i got from Mike so i believe its the latest and greatest and i like the shock loads being absorbed by the belt better than gears myself;) Im pretty sure its perfected sense all the fastest Buick guys are running them now:D