Dodged a bullet.....Always push the test button ...thats what it's there for.

Hyboost4Banger

Trannybreaker to be
Taking advantage of a rare 40'f dry pavement winter day I decided to take the car out for a nice Sunday drive. My alky bottle has been dry since last outing. It's been about two weeks, and I know my pump head leaks.....so I filled up the bottle and warmed car up. Car ran so good two weeks ago....Razors kit is so awesome! Headed out.....drove about three blocks....nailed the gas in 1st gear.... car felt weak...noticed alky LED working...nailed it again.........watching the O2's........ .40 dropping to .02. @ full boost. ( yes, that's" point O-2 "....should be .75-.80) What the heck?! ....tried 2nd gear...third gear....richened it up a bunch... then tried 4th gear.....big ..... huge.....back fire out tail pipe and 224 counts of knock!!!! Pulled car over, stopped and idled. Opened hood. Checked bottle. Yep, still full. Pressed test button . Nuthin ....but LED on bright...... Pressed and held test button again (as thoughts of plugged fuel filters and weak fuel pumps ran through my head).....after a few more seconds engine ran rough and O2's pegged .96.

DOH!

Morale of story: Don't be like me...... Always push your test button. Purge your lines and pump before you hammer on it. Make dang sure your alky is working." Thank me lucky stars! "I didn't pop something expensive...especially since I run 30 plus psi.

Now car runs great! (Pump still leaks)

Mark

Mark - Thanks for the story.

Since my car is not used everyday, I do exactly as you mention every time I do drive it. I press that test button at idle until the car stutters :D I want to make dang sure that all those lines are full of methanol!

Ya wonder why I put a test button there ;)

Thanks for sharing. Once primed, it shouldnt lose prime. But a fter a few days of sitting.. anything is possible.

Yes it is! gravity sucks.

Hey Larry,........
I wanted you to know...... I took a cue from you and have been running 2 nozzles. A M-15 and a M-10. My car is a methanol ultra-sucker-hog!!!!

When I first started tuning I actually ran my container out. I may have set some sort of methanol consumer use record.... about 3 quarts in 20 minutes. I have since bought a 55 gallon drum to nurse my habit and always carry 2 gallons reserve as spare. My car is literally a raging mad animal !!. I run 35-psi. boost, the gain set on 3.pm . All 4 tires spin and all 3 diffs. scramble for traction when boost hits in 2nd (sometimes 3rd ( scary!)) on dry pavement. I need to equip the passenger seat with diapers...brave passengers have perma-grins and soiled shorts.

I can't wait till the track opens this spring....hope my tranny holds out till then...thinking about hitting the dyno to know how much power I'm making.

Mark

The consumption record is held by RedLine Performance in Canada. His Buick at 28 PSI went through 1 gallon in under 10 minutes of very spirited driving after initially installing the kit :D

Guess he was testing to see if the knock sensor was broken ;)

"Along with your new alky kit comes the "Depends" adult diaper for the unsuspecting passenger." ROTFLMAO

Larry, Jerry aka Lancerman called.. he says the car is "now flying" after doing the AEM. Gosh guess when he ran 10.89 it was slow..hate to see what flying is :D

Originally posted by Hyboost4Banger
Yes it is! gravity sucks.

Hey Larry,........
I wanted you to know...... I took a cue from you and have been running 2 nozzles. A M-15 and a M-10. My car is a methanol ultra-sucker-hog!!!!

When I first started tuning I actually ran my container out. I may have set some sort of methanol consumer use record.... about 3 quarts in 20 minutes. I have since bought a 55 gallon drum to nurse my habit and always carry 2 gallons reserve as spare. My car is literally a raging mad animal !!. I run 35-psi. boost, the gain set on 3.pm . All 4 tires spin and all 3 diffs. scramble for traction when boost hits in 2nd (sometimes 3rd ( scary!)) on dry pavement. I need to equip the passenger seat with diapers...brave passengers have perma-grins and soiled shorts.

I can't wait till the track opens this spring....hope my tranny holds out till then...thinking about hitting the dyno to know how much power I'm making.

Mark

Awesome!

I also noticed some nice improvements with the dual nozzle setup. Its alot easier to keep the car nice and rich. Ive actually got my gains set a little differently than yours. I have the blue gain knob all the way. But, I have the initial set at only around 10-11 oclock. This gives a low initial alky amount, with a very fast ramp up with boost. My turn on it about 7-8 psi.

And yes...youll use alot of methanol when youve got the sucker turned up! But, its still so cheap that it hardly matters. Razor measured my setup at 170 psi output pressure through the twin nozzles on the dyno! I caculated the flow rate out and if memory serves it was something a little over 210 lb/hr at full song. Thats roughly 32 gph, so if I was on the Bonneville salt flats I believe I could drain my 84 ounce stock washer tank in 1 minute and 14 seconds! LOL.

I am planning to crank it up to about 35 psi boost as you have, so I anticipate adding some initial gain as well. It turns out that when on the dyno last time, the boost was falling off prtetty badly up top. It was spiking to 30-31, then dropping to 26-27. I didnt know this until I actually drove the car on the dyno. So, I think I was getting cheated out of about 50 hp. I think I have the problem fixed (the wastegate was just too weak.....I tensioned the sucker up tight now) so hopefully I can now hold more boost. The problem is, I really cant tell conclusively without going to the track or the dyno as I have to do street tests in 4th gear. Running 4th gear up means 140+ mph which I am not comfortable doing on the street (call me a wimp). This turbo rocks at high boost.

Originally posted by Razor

Larry, Jerry aka Lancerman called.. he says the car is "now flying" after doing the AEM. Gosh guess when he ran 10.89 it was slow..hate to see what flying is :D

That Lancer is sweet! And yeah....the man is sick if 10.89 doesnt count as flying :D Ill be happy with an 11.89 in my pig (as long as I have typically dyno queen mph :D )

Yep. 35 psi. , maybe 36psi. It's hard to tell. My autometer
sport-comp guage only goes to 30 psi. , the needle swings past 30 psi. to about the "OST" in " BOOST". So I guess so. The really great part is....... I get a full 30-35 psi. @ 2900 rpms in 5 th gear, about 3200 rpm in 4th. , 3500 rpm in 3rd. I start injecting methanol @ 2.5 psi. to pre-spool my Forced Performance ball bearing GT 3052. I'd run 40 psi. if I could. (and that may be next...or maybe get cams.) I need to find out where this turbo is happiest. (I've only raced it a couple of times @ 27psi. w/no meth. but DIY kit w/washer fluid & ERL nozzels ) I'd have to monkey with the WG spring, as it is now the least amount of boost I can run is 21 psi. I'm not sure I want my min. boost higher than that. {No Valet's!}. Right now @ 35 psi. the car feels so flippin' fast it should be illegal. It's never felt this good. Hugely Addictive!. Point and shoot...and watch where you point it...you'll be there in a hurry!. My poor stock brakes are taking a beating.... ....went through 5 gallons of meth last week too.....only drove on the dry days... about 20, super-fun, AWD, all-season, automatic-rotation, tire burning miles.

:p Mark

Youve got guts to load that car up from low rpm in 5th gear! I did that a few times when I had a fast spooler. After doing a few low rpm 4th gear high boost pulls and the driving normally I found the trans didnt want to leave a gear. When I checked under the car I saw a nice big crack in the case!

AFAIK the FP3052 uses a GT30R compressor and turbine wheel. The FP3065 is a GT30R turbine wheel and a GT35R compressor wheel.

You're on the stock 1G shortblock at 7.8:1 compression, right? I'm helping build a friends 94 GSX, we're using a G4CS block with pauter rods, custom 8:1 CP pistons, and a T70 turbo with a P-trim wheel and a .68 A/R housing. I can't imagine how much horsepower this motor could make at 35 pounds of boost on pump gas, that is absurd!

i was really thinking about just buying two kits from razor never really hard of any dsm guys running alky i made a few posts and rea a few on buschur and some guys were really up in the air about the gains of running alky???

hyboost what do you think about running alky on a basiclly stock 1g dsm and maybee 19 or 20 punds of boost, just dp and eghuast and the fuel pump and a reg? will the 450s hold up and the 14b?

Originally posted by forcefedhatch
AFAIK the FP3052 uses a GT30R compressor

OK.....so must be this compressor? This map looks similar to a TO4E 50 trim wheel, yet seems to be able to make more power than the map would suggest.

gt30rcompress.gif

Originally posted by forcefedhatch
AFAIK the FP3052 uses a GT30R compressor and turbine wheel. The FP3065 is a GT30R turbine wheel and a GT35R compressor wheel.

You're on the stock 1G shortblock at 7.8:1 compression, right? I'm helping build a friends 94 GSX, we're using a G4CS block with pauter rods, custom 8:1 CP pistons, and a T70 turbo with a P-trim wheel and a .68 A/R housing. I can't imagine how much horsepower this motor could make at 35 pounds of boost on pump gas, that is absurd!

Yes. I am completely stock...( oh...except for the Greddy oil filler cap....bling!bling!)... .......I have never even had the valve cover off! I feel pretty damn lucky. Only paid 440 bucks for the car....(with a blown tranny) It looks stock. Full weight, A/C, all season tires. Suprises the ZO6 and SC Cobra guys every time. With the stock 14b turbo I went 12.6 @ 110, this was on race gas before alky. I have 109k miles on engine. I change my Mobil 1 synthetic oil every 500 miles....I've gone thru many clutches, 1 rear end, and have LOTS of supporting mods. Huge intercooler, custom intake pipes, 3.5 mandrel bent exhaust, AFC piggyback, GM MAF translator, TMO stutter box chip and EPROM computer. The FP 3052 turbo and Julio's kit really put the icing on the cake. Woke the baby! If this engine ever goes I'll build me one of those Hyundia 2.4 (G4CS?) bottom ends. Like what you're doing. Although I'm not sold on running 35 psi. on one yet. Does the 2.4 have the piston oil squirters and the crank main bearing web girdle like the 4G63 2.0 ?

Mark

Originally posted by 85 TR
i was really thinking about just buying two kits from razor never really hard of any dsm guys running alky i made a few posts and rea a few on buschur and some guys were really up in the air about the gains of running alky???

hyboost what do you think about running alky on a basiclly stock 1g dsm and maybee 19 or 20 punds of boost, just dp and eghuast and the fuel pump and a reg? will the 450s hold up and the 14b?

Right off....Turbo car=Turbo car. Does not matter if it a "Buick" or a "Mitsubishi". Alky is a turbo"enhancer"............makes the turbo work better....and will work on ANY turbo car.

I personally think it's the best thing you could ever do for your car! It will make the most power for the buck. If I was to do it all over again,... the alky kit is where I would start...(hint: DIY, non progressive kits don't work as good tho ).......Who cares what Bushur thinks?!!!!...they don't run alky in their cars and have no expirience with it. A lot of people don't know about the benefits of alky. I would highly recommend it for you,.... the Alky will make up for your small stock injectors,...( maybe eliminate pesky fuel cut? )..... compensate for the small side mount IC iniffeciency,...... and cool the tons of hot air the stock 14b turbo will produce @ 20psi......however, you still need an AFC or some way to control fuel. (You may actually have to lean the fuel out with the alky). Power comes from tuning. Get yourself a Datalogger or wideband. Tune. Tune. Tune. It wil payoff. Guaranteed.

PS. I picked up another broken '91 Talon AWD that is completely stock, simular to yours. ( for my wife..only she doesn't know it yet ) The first plan is to get it running ( this week ) then install Razor's PAC kit as a expirement just to see what it can do for a complete stocker. I'm betting it will be awesome! I'll report back to you with results.

Mark

Originally posted by 4sfed4
OK.....so must be this compressor? This map looks similar to a TO4E 50 trim wheel, yet seems to be able to make more power than the map would suggest.

gt30rcompress.gif

Larry,

I need to take a class on how to read turbo compressor maps.:confused:

I took a chance getting the FP 3052. I trust Forced Performance. ( check out "World's fastest DSM's" list, FP turbo's are all up at the top.) I studied up on FP 30 series testamonials.....drove one car with a FP 3052 ....Bang! SELL ME ONE NOW!. This turbo seems to have the elusive turbo "snap" when boost hits. Some turbos don't have it. They just build boost slowly, never really "snapping". Supposedly the FP 3052 is equal to the FP "red" in all out power....(no snap) but spools like a small "16G" ( good snap, low power).

Mark

Originally posted by Hyboost4Banger
Larry,

I need to take a class on how to read turbo compressor maps.:confused:

I am by no means an expert. But, they are pretty easy to get the hang of if you use a basic assumption. (This assumption, which is 10 hp per lb/min of rated flow, gives you an idea of the max power a given wheel will support, give or take. And, even if the 10 hp/lb/min assumption isnt 100% correct for a given car, it doesnt matter much as long as one is consistent when comparing compressor maps. )

Basically, when I look at the GT30R map, I see a compressor that looks like its good to maybe 525 crank hp, or more or less similar peak flow to the old school TO4E 50 trim. It also doesnt look like that wheel will support 35+ psi at 500+ hp without boost dropping. Yet, your car is flying with it and is able to hold 35 psi boost all the way out. The TO4E 50, which looks similar according to the maps, wouldnt come close to doing that on my car and would only make about 400 whp. Boost wouldnt stay higher than about 26 psi up top. So, sometimes the maps are only for general guidance.

I took a chance getting the FP 3052. I trust Forced Performance. ( check out "World's fastest DSM's" list, FP turbo's are all up at the top.) I studied up on FP 30 series testamonials.....drove one car with a FP 3052 ....Bang! SELL ME ONE NOW!. This turbo seems to have the elusive turbo "snap" when boost hits. Some turbos don't have it. They just build boost slowly, never really "snapping". Supposedly the FP 3052 is equal to the FP "red" in all out power....(no snap) but spools like a small "16G" ( good snap, low power).

Mark

You want snap!?!? This SC6152S (uses the GT35R, aka GT40 56 trim compressor) has it is spades. It will lag down low, then come on like a freight train. It goes from 8-10 psi to 30+ in a blink. It makes the car undriveable at high boost even on drag radials. (But, I think its cool anyway :D )

It sounds like your GT3052 spools faster though, yet is still able to make some excellent power and might be a better 500+ whp turbo. I am far too cheap though to use a "real" GT turbo! When I found out I could buy two of these Precision GT hybrids for the cost of one "real" GT turbo, I couldnt help but go with the cheaper alternative.

You should get that thing on the dyno and report back!

I just went to forcedperformance.com and it looks like their FP58 is the same as what I have on my car with the exception of the turbine housing (as mine is a 0.63 a/r and theirs is a 0.49 a/r).

Its funny.......so many names for the same dang turbos!