Do i really need a oil cooler for my gn , throw my oil cooler away to get a trasmission cooler?

i have 42lb injectors with stock turbo what kind of turbo can i step up too? with stock convert?

I'd maximize the stock turbo first before I go changing it out. The stock converter was meant for it, and although you can get away with stepping up a little in size, your spool time will be affected, unless you go ball bearing...then ignore everything i just said. :)

Also depends on how you use the car. Spend lots of time on the highway? Long drives? Oil cooler will keep the oil temps down on the highway.

Short trips? Cruise nights? Dragstrip? What's the oil cooler gonna do for you there? Not much....

Sustained 70-80 MPH runs in the summer heat have always had my oil temps creep up and the result showed lower idle psi when I ran withOUt a oil cooler.
Typical results in industry is the oil temps run 20 degrees hotter than you coolant temps.
SO if you make a WOT pass, beat on back to back, hot dog it, idle in traffic, run sustained speeds and the coolant gets up 190 plus and stays there and takes a while to recover and your oil psi drops then you can bet the oil temps are up and you need a cooler. IMO all turbo charged cars should have them. There is no down side when installed correctly.

Wanna bet?;) All the TR's from 78 to 83 didn't have 1 but in 84 they started using them. Quite a few people have removed them and never had an issue. There's really not going to be a problem if you want to take it off.:)

ive never seen an 84 0r 85 with an oil cooler. I heard they added it in 86 when the 3/36 warranty was introduced

Sustained 70-80 MPH runs in the summer heat have always had my oil temps creep up and the result showed lower idle psi when I ran withOUt a oil cooler.

I see the same. When I make a long highway run, my oil pressure comes down a bit. Might idle at 20 instead of 25. Any other time it doesn't seem to matter.

Typical results in industry is the oil temps run 20 degrees hotter than you coolant temps.
SO if you make a WOT pass, beat on back to back, hot dog it, idle in traffic, run sustained speeds and the coolant gets up 190 plus and stays there and takes a while to recover and your oil psi drops then you can bet the oil temps are up and you need a cooler. IMO all turbo charged cars should have them. There is no down side when installed correctly.

How dare you inject first hand data into an oil thread!!!!!!

....and that sounds about right. This is when my car hasn't been up to temp long. Notice the trans is actually pulling heat out of the radiator instead of the other way around.

temps-jpg.185740

That is with the temp in the low 70's cruising around the back roads with one quick WOT burst. If you look closely you can see when I kicked it. The IAT jumped up since the water pump started spinning faster. The coolant temp dropped just a smidge but the trans and oil started creeping up. (and that was just from a 2 or 3 second blast)

Where do you have your trans temp sender located?

The factory didn't use synthetic oil either. With synthetic, I like a hotter oil temp for burning off contaminates. It's all opinion but I seem to break something on my car long before hot oil ruins the bearings. I removed my oil cooler to avoid an oil line rupture but agree it should be fine IF properly installed but driving 10k per year, I know the oil line will fail eventually.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have an oil cooler in my truck. It was weeping from the fitting joint. Luckily I noticed it. A few more hours of driving and it would have blown off and killed the engine. I eliminated the cooler in my T. The only issue is the damn leftover oil dripping out the radiator fittings. Can't find a plug to match those silly fittings. I just stuck a rubber plug in them.

Need An Oil Cooler?

Not an expert, closer to an idiot! o_O

When Bobby at RPE built my motor he said "there won't be any oil cooler and you don't need one." Huh? :confused:

What am I going to tell Bobby? "Bobby, you don't know nuttin' about motors!" LOL Right!

Otto works on the motor the other day and says I don't need an oil cooler. Do you need an oil cooler? I don't know.....

....but I trust Bobby and Otto. So I don't run one. My 'cooling system' is set up to work good - I'm sure that helps.

All these cars are a bit different and driven in different conditions so I could see using a oil cooler - no real downside.

Hose blowing off? It could - any hose could. With cars like these you need to be on top of all your hoses and connections

all the time. Once a year check is not enough. I always open the hood and check things before I drive it - every time.

And check under the car. Like pilots on a pre-flight check. LOL :) "on my Jet Smooth Ride........" (a song I like)

[quote="How dare you inject first hand data into an oil thread!!!!!!"

Can you believe that!! What's the matter with friggin' people today! Sheesh.........What are these people thinking? I guess their not.

Every time I see one of these treads I always imagine a parallel.....

Imagine none of us had water temp gauges and we had no idea whatsoever how hot the coolant was.....

How many people would be saying "I'm going to run without a radiator. Even though I don't know if my coolant is too hot or not"?

This makes me want to put my oil cooler back on. I took mine off when I installed the PTE turbo saver. How would I plumb that along with it?

[quote="]Every time I see one of these treads I always imagine a parallel...."?[/quote]

More like apples to oranges. Millions of daily drivers running without oil coolers - some hundreds of thousands of miles - no problems.
I am not aware of any water cooled daily driven internal combustion engine cars running without a radiator. Some things you just HAVE
to have.

If anyone is worried about the hoses blowing off etc. just install a set of braided teflon and be done. With a 3,000psi rating, I doubt you'll have any issues. That is what I plan on doing. :)