Diesels.. what your fuel milage?

'02 Cummins (Dawdge)

Stage III injectors and some other bolt ons...
enclosed towing:
12,000K + lbs., 80+mph...10mpg
open trailer:5,000 lbs, 80+mph...14mpg
city:<80mph 18mpg ;)

3:53 gears (the way to go, especially if driving long distances)

40K on the ticker, just starting to loosen up;)

98.5 24 valve Cummins Quad cab 2WD auto/3.55's:

Towing 4400lb enclosed trailer + 3800lb race car at 70-80 mph we get about 14.5 mpg. We are going to look into speed rated trailer tires, because they don't seem to like it as much as the Ram does (it loves 70-80 mph while 55-60 sucks - gear hunt).

Around 18 mpg without a trailer (we don't use it much other than towing).

With my '97 Club cab V-10 Ram (Auto/3.55's) we'd get from 10-11 towing the same trailer, while my 6.0L (4.10's) Yukon XL gets 9-10.

2004.5 chevy silverado duramax extend cab shortbed 4x4 with allison 373 rears.around town 15.5 to 18 highway 18 to 21.i drive 70-75 all the time:) thats with just the truck

You have to live in your truck to save money with a diesel.Or keep it a long time who does that now days?I can buy alot of gas for the price of a diesel motor.That just my thoughts.

Originally posted by KevinBroadwater
You have to live in your truck to save money with a diesel.Or keep it a long time who does that now days?I can buy alot of gas for the price of a diesel motor.That just my thoughts.

Spoken by a true dyed in the wool gas man!! ;)
As a rule, diesel engines will outlast the typical gas motor by a factor of 3 to 1 (given the same level of care).
The fuel mileage differences are obvious, always significant'y better in the diesels.
And because just about every diesel on the road these days is turbo charged, the power/weight difference goes to the diesel again.

You guys will get a kick out of this one.

I have a 1/2 ton 1982 chevy w/a military 6.5 that I put in it a few years ago that I purchased at a government auction for $800. put a 700R behind it and have 3.08 gears. open highway mileage is over 25 MPG at 70 mph. The best part about it is that I only have $2,000 total invested in the truck. It is a work truck. Suits my needs. And is easy on the wallet with no vehicle payment. No rust either!

Obviously you'v enever really looked into it. Nothing hold valuel like a diesel either. I bought my truck for 25k 2 years ago, I was offered 25k on TRADE IN the other day for it. I wouldn't get rid of it though. I

t's a 2001 24v Cummins 4x4,
Adjustable Edge Comp box, 40-120 HP 150-350 tq
Full 5" exhaust Big open air filter. Pyro and boost gauge

Always on level 5=120 hp
35" tires small lift
17-18 mpg highway
14 around town, with my foot in it "with the smoke blowing black as coal"

Here is a pic

Gas is cheaper oil changes are cheaper don't by tires as much.:) You have to keep your truck hooked to the wagon all the time to make it worth while.For the average guy not worth the extra money.
Yes it is probaly 3 to 1 but I know I'm not keeping a truck for 3-5 hundred thousand miles.
Thats my 2 pennys of info.

Re: 2004 Duramax

Originally posted by Raven
I have an '04 Chevy Crew Cab, Short Bed 4x4 with the Duramax (LLY code) and the Allison auto. The truck also has limited slip and 3.73 gears.

My around town driving usually comes in around 16 mpg with highway driving around 19-19.5 (unloaded). I drive 70-75 on the highway.

Towing, it varies but the worst I've ever got is around 16 Hwy towing a big enclosed trailer.

Your unloaded MPG is close to mine. Truck wieghs in at 7200LBS and gets typically 17.5 combination city/hwy mileage and 19.5 to 20.5 MPG HWY.

12 to 13MPG towing enclosed car trailer(9500LBS). What are you doing to get 16MPG???????:confused:

It all may work out in the wash but after owning gas vehicles all my life I'm glad I got a diesel. I'll never come up short on power and have ALL the truck I'll ever need. Basically just change the oil, fuel filter and other basic maintenance a gas truck needs and I'm good to go. No tune ups, no spark plugs and 300,000 OR MORE miles before this engine gets tired. I'll buy a diesel truck from now on....

Gas is cheaper oil changes are cheaper don't by tires as much.:) You have to keep your truck hooked to the wagon all the time to make it worth while.For the average guy not worth the extra money.
Yes it is probaly 3 to 1 but I know I'm not keeping a truck for 3-5 hundred thousand miles.
Thats my 2 pennys of info.

Your gas is cheaper statement is only true in the last 6 months. Before that, all the fuel I bought on my travels was either equal to or slightly below the cost of regular gas. And had been that way for many years.
Unfortunately, the oil companies are now out to stick it to the truckers and diesel prices are at or near premium grade gas prices. Hopefully that wont be true for very much longer. Same thing happened about a decade ago, and only lasted for about a year.

Unfortunately you are terribly misinformed about diesels in general, especially modern day examples, but that's OK. I chuckle every day I watch a "gasser" suburban going by, knowing his/her fuel costs and mileage are soaking them something fierce.

Se we'll leave it at that.

I just did a road trip from Chicago to Detroit. 335 miles. I got 310 miles on 19.5 gals= 16mpg @ 80+, no trailer on the way up. Guage was on E big time. On the way back, pulling an empty aerodynamic brick, 24' enclosed trailer, we got 360 miles, the gauge is still above E. Averageing 65ish.
I guesstimate I got 18 pulling a load @65 vrs 16 doing 80 empty.
I paid $2.09 in the North burbs of Detriot. I did see diesel for $1.92 at one place on thje way back. Gas was around $1.89 I think