Did this hurt my tranny?

bkoons

I recently sent a torque converter in to change the stall rating. When I got it back it slipped on real easy... thought I was just lucky and went about my way. Got it all buttoned up and went to take it for a drive. Low and behold no forward or reverse! Turns out, when it was restalled, they used 30 spline internals. My question is, any chance this hurt my tranny? I didn't hear any unusual noise, and only ran it long enough to verify fluid level and that it was pumping. No metal in the fluid and the input shaft looks okay as did the splines on the converter. Is there enough clearance between the two spline paterns that they wont contact?

no youll be ok. The 27 spline shaft pretty much floats in a 30 spline convertor,I wouldnt worry

i did that once,wasnt funny either customer was very upset .had d5 boxes with restalled 700s in them:mad:

I was accidentally sold a C6 converter instead of one for a C4.
At least it taught me to pull out the input shaft and verify that
I have the correct converter. :)

Thanks, Glad to here that I don't have much to worry about... and that I'm not the only one. I didn't think it was funny either... especially after paying premium shipping (both ways) so I could get it back and installed in time for the final race of the year. It was right about midnight the day before the race when I got it down off the stands. At least yanking your tranny in & out is such an enjoyable task.

As for the cost, I suppose it depends on what you have for a converter. I think there are places that restall stock converters or take em on exchange, but I'm not sure who. I bought a new 9" last year and the vendor does it for a reasonable price... not that the cost of the converter is cheap though.