External trans cooler

TireFryer

The New Kid
I’m getting ready to install my cruz performance tranny cooler, I was told by him that I need to just run that cooler and forget the rad cooler as this massive one (that I’m mounting in front of the ac condenser, yes the lines are long enough) will cool better than the rad ever will. I have a 3200 old school vigilante converter and I don’t want to mess up the tranny with hot fluid temps. Is the top port on the trans the “out”? If you are telling me “run both, I want like actual temps. Because cruz himself said run just the external.

Thanks

Is the converter lock up or non-lockup?

That's the determining factor. The NLUs put enormous amounts of heat into the system, so much so that they'll actually heat the coolant instead of the coolant cooling the transmission.

If that's a lockup converter, keep the radiator loop, plumb the external in after it.
If you're NLU, eliminate the radiator loop.

Top port at the cooler is out, bottom port is in. That way the system bleeds itself if air gets in.

This is a very 50-50 subject. I run mine in series with the radiator. Some say in colder temps the radiator will help bring the trans temp up a bit quicker.

I go from trans to bottom of rad, out of top rad to bottom of external cooler, top of cooler back to trans. I also ran my lines through the frame for a cleaner look.

I used the biggest one I could get and zip tied it to the cross braces. I used an F Body rad setup so there was no oil cooler in the rad. Stayed nice and cool via what the trans temperature gauge told me.

Multi disc I think. Weighs a million pounds
4429E29E-53E1-4593-8E6D-181DC137D5A4.jpeg

Think those came to up to a 7 disc and can be locked for racing. A local went 10.3 at 134 with a multidisc. Slip came in around 2-3 percent. He did it with a 2800 and came off the trans brake at a God awful boost number.

I run the same set up as Chuck, but I have an FMIC so I have the cooler mounted in the old scoop area for the Stock IC. No need for using the radiator.

This is a very 50-50 subject. I run mine in series with the radiator. Some say in colder temps the radiator will help bring the trans temp up a bit quicker.

I go from trans to bottom of rad, out of top rad to bottom of external cooler, top of cooler back to trans. I also ran my lines through the frame for a cleaner look.
^^ x2
Is the converter lock up or non-lockup?

That's the determining factor. The NLUs put enormous amounts of heat into the system, so much so that they'll actually heat the coolant instead of the coolant cooling the transmission.

If that's a lockup converter, keep the radiator loop, plumb the external in after it.
If you're NLU, eliminate the radiator loop.

Top port at the cooler is out, bottom port is in. That way the system bleeds itself if air gets in.

To get the air out.

04687FCF-F259-4693-80D5-12ABF8FFC07D.jpeg

Eric can lock it via his chip for racing.
My 6.1 chip can lock it. I never have yet. I have a 3200 stall. I’m worried it too loose and someone told me it’ll be junk past like 400 horsepower because it’ll slip too much. Spools the te62 insanely fast and it pulls hard from my butt dyno.

My 6.1 chip can lock it. I never have yet. I have a 3200 stall. I’m worried it too loose and someone told me it’ll be junk past like 400 horsepower because it’ll slip too much. Spools the te62 insanely fast and it pulls hard from my butt dyno.
Go back amd read post 8. I think that locals car was making more than 400HP. If it's a 5-7 disc lock it at the track.

Not trying to start a pissing contest but i seriously doubt that Cruz knows more about a 2004r than Dave Husek..and he suggests you do the opposite, run it through the radiator.
While I do agree with this statement, I can understand certain viewpoints as they don’t live in super cold climates so it may be less of an issue. Like I said it’s a 50/50 subject.

I’m no transmission pro by any means but I’m not sure there’s a wrong way to hook it up. I’m a series w/radiator guy but I also live in CO & drive it in colder temps. Not sure if you bypass the radiator & just use the external that it has any detrimental effects.

I mostly drive in 70+ degrees. I’ll see how much some extra lines would be to run both. Anyone know the fitting size for the radiator?

I know i was in this debate in the past,but the 2004r is best ran through the radiator for optimum cooling, i have many other cars with various other tranny's that have stand alone coolers but not the 200, and yes discussed this with Dave many times.
Not saying the stand alone wouldnt work the cooler would have to be massive then you run into possible pressure issues, but its not the best way the 200 hates heat more then any other trans. Run a temp sensor in the pan both ways you will see the difference. you want it a little under engine temps not too cool either.

I’m getting ready to install my cruz performance tranny cooler, I was told by him that I need to just run that cooler and forget the rad cooler as this massive one (that I’m mounting in front of the ac condenser, yes the lines are long enough) will cool better than the rad ever will. I have a 3200 old school vigilante converter and I don’t want to mess up the tranny with hot fluid temps. Is the top port on the trans the “out”? If you are telling me “run both, I want like actual temps. Because cruz himself said run just the external.

Thanks
I think you should be very careful.
There is alot of koolaid out in the world.
What size and type of tranny cooler did don sell you?
There has been no mention of this very important thing.