External trans cooler

I run through the F body radiator then an external cooler in front of fmic and sometimes wonder if it is too cool. I have a sensor in the pan and most often it does not read above 140. If playing around a little or driving in town it will reach 160 or 180.

I think you should be very careful.
There is alot of koolaid out in the world.
What size and type of tranny cooler did don sell you?
There has been no mention of this very important thing.
2860DE22-0196-4352-8424-825FF9E690A0.jpeg
BDAEB934-7D5B-4A4E-8BAB-653C7F6D7C9E.jpeg
53188F25-BD77-4666-A468-6806872733E7.jpeg
FAC924D7-9FD4-4397-8519-1B20B0E5F35E.jpeg

A good question to ask yourself...which can absorb more heat? Water or air? Some intercoolers use water cooling...food for thought. I run my 3400 NLU through the radiator and see 150-160 cruising at highway speeds, and use a Derale 13760 trans cooler horizontally mounted between the air dams running the fan as a puller. Pushing the fluid up(against gravity) seems to allow it to be cooled better. Maybe it's because the fluid is being slowed down and is able to have more heat extracted from it. Next thread...which oil is better. :D

Last edited:
You never dropped the specs of the Cruz cooler.

The Derale 51606 stacked plate I have is 2” D, 6-7/16”H, & 13” W. Good for 32,000 BTU’s an hour.

Seems to work pretty well for my set-up.

You never dropped the specs of the Cruz cooler.

The Derale 51606 stacked plate I have is 2” D, 6-7/16”H, & 13” W. Good for 32,000 BTU’s an hour.

Seems to work pretty well for my set-up.
I did, it’s whatever this is. Didn’t get specs.

It's YOUR car. We can all have opinions, but in the end, it YOUR car.

I live in Phoenix. I don't need the radiator heat, especially in June - August. Actually, I don't even need it in January..... ;)

'Nuff said.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
While this is true, it's also true that he his a 18 yo kid with limited funds.. that said he doesn't need to spend $ on things that are not necessary and $350 for a trans cooler is W A Y not necessary... but you are right.. it's his car..

Don't get me wrong ^^^^^^^^ I agree 100%.

I may be wrong, but TireFryer is a young man trying to make the car he purchased run the best it can.

It's HIS decision where he spends his money, but from what I've read and seen so far, he's as good at this game, so far, as more than the bulk of us.

He spends his money wisely.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
While this is true, it's also true that he his a 18 yo kid with limited funds.. that said he doesn't need to spend $ on things that are not necessary and $350 for a trans cooler is W A Y not necessary... but you are right.. it's his car..
I thought that as well at first myself. HOWEVER after my cooler the Aeroquip lines & fittings added a decent amount to the end cost. Maybe not $350 but a bit. Not to mention there’s no detail on Cruz’ cooler.

I appreciate the kind words. I just bought it as a friend of mine killed his trans after keeping just the rad cooler and a 3400 stall converter so I thought hey I have some cash to spend (grad money) and so I bought the biggest air cooler I could find. I just paid 2200$ to get the trans redone and I don’t want to ruin it even though it has a 3 year unlimited mile warranty. I’d like this to last through college. Then I’ll tear it down and get it all “right”. I don’t know a ton and I still have tons to learn.

Actually you didnt
There are no specs at all and that is vendor stuff I have seen throughout the years.
Just get this cooler,turbo,converter,computer,camshaft,valve springs,etc and the list goes on.
Dont buy anything untill you know what it is.
They have ratings for a reason.
If you want a cooler and want to understand more about the tranny contact dave husek.
He will discuss it with you and wont try to sell on mystery coolers or anything else.

I appreciate the kind words. I just bought it as a friend of mine killed his trans after keeping just the rad cooler and a 3400 stall converter so I thought hey I have some cash to spend (grad money) and so I bought the biggest air cooler I could find. I just paid 2200$ to get the trans redone and I don’t want to ruin it even though it has a 3 year unlimited mile warranty. I’d like this to last through college. Then I’ll tear it down and get it all “right”. I don’t know a ton and I still have tons to learn.
Typically when you lose a trans the cooler gets flushed or junked lines blown out and cleaned and anything else that is associated and the converter gets sent out to get cut open and refreshed.

This is a lot of cooler for the price. It's rated 29,200 btu's. There's a lot of choices, both with and without fans. H7B | Tru-Cool

After scowering the internet I believe it is this. H7B | Tru-Cool, has the same dimensions and bumper of plates or rows. I found others that were similar and it’s anywhere from 29,000-32,000 btu. Sorry I didn’t do research, others use this cooler with big success. Might not be the best but it’s what I have. In the future I’ll be sure to post up or find real specs before buying

I have this one on my Car since 2012 not using the Radiator Cooler.I have an Art Carr Non Lock 19930 and use Amsoil Tran fluid.The Fluid is pink like the first day it’s been put in 10 Years.

Attachments

• 9F41FDE4-2E6A-4368-BF38-90CC63229B84.jpeg
    9F41FDE4-2E6A-4368-BF38-90CC63229B84.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 85
Im sure Don dont make his own trans coolers, its probably re-branded like most others do, theres about only 7 manufacturers and 40 different named coolers so most are the same company...Cruz's looks like a B&m, Hayden or Dorman