Diag my engine noise

86Nick

Not your Grandpas' regal
Trying to sell my T and need help diag this engine noise, to tell buyers. Please pm me for video link if you can help. Noise is present on intial start up

Well,

What does it sound like? eg: tick tick, pop pop, grind grind, help help.:eek:

Need clues to play the game.

However, even without clues, I'm going to submit my early guess and say blown out felpro exhaust manifold gasket.

Now, go check it with a stethascope and see if I won.:cool:

NEXT...

Dr. Mike B.

What does it sound like? eg: tick tick, pop pop, grind grind, help help.:eek:

Need clues to play the game.

However, even without clues, I'm going to submit my early guess and say blown out felpro exhaust manifold gasket.

Now, go check it with a stethascope and see if I won.:cool:

NEXT...

Dr. Mike B.

sent you a link to video

Got the link.

This should be fairly simple to diagnose. You need to find out where the noise is comeing from. Is it the left side, or right. Then narrow it down from there. A stethascope is the best way. You can also hold a screwdriver against different parts and "feel" the noise. I'd start with up and down both valve covers. From just listening to the vidio, it kinda sounds like valve train. Like maybe a broken rocker arm, wiped lobe, or a lifter not pumping up. "If" the noise is from under a valve cover, take it off and see if all the rocker arms are going up and down the same. A broken rocker arm should be obvious. Let's start with this before I get too far ahead of myself.;)

What kind of lifters do you have?

Let us know.

Mike B.

Lifter Noise

This should be fairly simple to diagnose. You need to find out where the noise is comeing from. Is it the left side, or right. Then narrow it down from there. A stethascope is the best way. You can also hold a screwdriver against different parts and "feel" the noise. I'd start with up and down both valve covers. From just listening to the vidio, it kinda sounds like valve train. Like maybe a broken rocker arm, wiped lobe, or a lifter not pumping up. "If" the noise is from under a valve cover, take it off and see if all the rocker arms are going up and down the same. A broken rocker arm should be obvious. Let's start with this before I get too far ahead of myself.;)

What kind of lifters do you have?

Let us know.

Mike B.

I agree with the above, definetly sounds like lifter noise which could be caused by many things, bent push rod, hydraulic lifter not pumping up......etc. Find the side thats tapping pull the valve cover and go from there!

did you go with a roller cam on the rebuild? has it been making that noise since the build. roller lifters are fairly noisey on start up and while warming up.

Tale a 2ft peice of brake line or fuel line, clamp a couple feet of vac hose on it, stick it in your ear & start looking for the Exact Spot the noise is loudest. Works every time!

noise

Sounded like 2 different noises to me one the lifter or rocker for sure the other was deeper more like a rod bearing

noise does go away once it runs a bit, but once you throttle it it comes back

Well!

Anything yet?

If you've got a magnetic oil drain plug, take it out and quickly stick your other finger over the hole (preferably not scalding hot). If your drain plug looks clean, quickly stick it back in. This is good news.:) If your drain plug is covered in metal and looks like a Chia Pet, you most likely wiped a lobe. At this point you might as well let the oil drain out of the motor, because it needs to come apart. This would be, not so good news. :(

Still, I'd start with a stethascope. They're ten bucks at most auto parts places.

Let us know.

Mike Barnard