Dead '83 turbo 3.8L motor... anything worth saving?

84ZZ4

So far I've pulled off and set aside the upper intake (with turbo attached) and the lower intake. I plan on trying to get the crank out but I'm doubtful about its condition. I think the motor might have spun a bearing.

I don't want to toss anything out that someone on the board might be able to use, so is there anything else on this motor that might be worth keeping?

Forget to mention: Any of the turbo specific stuff on the car is coming off as well, as soon as I figure out what it is, or someone tells me :)

The 3.8L stuff is getting replaced with a N/A Buick 455 that I have lying around. It won't be turbo any more but at least it's a BUICK motor.

Ron,

If it's not badly warped where the camshaft button goes, the timing cover/water pump assembly is worth keeping. If you have room, the heads might be worth saving. I didn't save mine unfortunately. Save the oil return line from the turbo. Seems that was the most sought after part when I was selling my stuff.

Jerry

I would sure like the .63 exhaust housing off that turbo....Please e-mail me at oldsmedmobile@yahoo.com if its available.....And let me know if there is anything specific that you are hunting for. I live in Phoenix and there are still a few old cars around....Thanks..........:)

'83 turbo

I had a difficult time finding the computer,ESC, knock control device CCC?, and wiring to make these electronic controllers work with the engine. When you put the 455 in, you won't use this stuff, but the wiring may be a part of your car, and difficult to take out.. But hang on to the electronic boxes!
You could get a 4.1 and put your turbo stuff on it, you know.

For anyone that's interested, I posted the parts for sale at http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91819

I have not been able to find ANYTHING wrong with the motor yet except for the slightly blown HG... no spun bearings or anything. I suppose it is possible the coolant got in the oil via a cracked head or block, which is why i'm guaranteeing those parts. Don't wanna sell anyone junk.

Drop me an email if you see anything you need.