Dave Bamford's 4.8 LSX Conversion

Reused all stock rings,opened both to .028

keep an eye open for excessive blow by, when opening up the stock rings that have already been seated to a larger gap you will encounter more blow bye as the rings will not seal as good as they did from factory. I did this on a 53 im using and i regret doing it

pointing the truck manifolds upward... stainless works has some nice ls headers that look like they would clear, if I sell my single setup, im going that direction, and on3 turbos. Like the game plan here!!!!

here is a pic of the stainless works up/foward headers
2011-04-30_19-56-36_507.jpg

Where did you get the parts for the corvette accessorys and did you change the harmonic balancer? i am very interested in the numbers on this motor. i think it is going to be impressive to say the least..good luck......Bob

Search "nook and tranny" on eBay he has the accessorys you will need. I replace the water pump,alt and ps bracket and balancer. These were from a ls3 corvette.

keep an eye open for excessive blow by, when opening up the stock rings that have already been seated to a larger gap you will encounter more blow bye as the rings will not seal as good as they did from factory. I did this on a 53 im using and i regret doing it

Thanks for the tips! If I have to pull the motor to make a few changes it won't cost me 10k plus each time, because someone was still learning on my dime.

What would you recommend with new rings?

What would you recommend with new rings?

fresh set of rings then yea try .027.
honestly if your using a JY motor then i wouldnt touch it, even rod bolts arent needed in the later yr motors.

also dont beleive the HR article. I took a JY 4.8 to 26.5 psi and it bent the rods then next pull it exited out side the block. Rod bolts didnt seperate, the rod snapped in half after bending. The load on the street/track vs a engine dyno is totally different. the 48 that exploded was also a weak rod motor. the 05+ motors have the stouter rods[this is true for all of the LS motors. Only motors with stout rods prior to 05 are the Lq9s/Ls2s

So how do you do the wiring harness

I am going with a big stuff3 LS1 box and stand alone harness. The factory ecu can be used and tuned using HP Tuners software.

GM performance parts also has stand alone harnesses and ecu package pretty cheap.

Thanks Dave..those are a little more affordable and frees up more room for sure....................Bob

Is it easy to build your on outta stock and tune with HP tuners

Dave, i was hoping you was going to try and make the truck manifolds work..it would make for a cheap hot side..i hate to see them turned up but down and forward is ok.......Bob

Had to turn mmine up, and forward. They clear the steering shaft, but they are not in my GN. Nice setup!

Attachments

• Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 075.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 571
Dave, i was hoping you was going to try and make the truck manifolds work..it would make for a cheap hot side..i hate to see them turned up but down and forward is ok.......Bob

We are still using the truck manifolds. When I said going in for headers I meant turbo system being plumbed. Hope to have some progress pics this week!