Cylinder sleeving

turbotwister

FAST COMPANY PERFORMANCE
Hi,
I'm having my cylinder sleeved in my stage 2 block. I'm confident in my machinest's ability to do the job but any info you guys could give me would be beneficial.we were wondering about sleeve thickness.any particular manufacturer should I use?any tricks that might help on a stage 2 block? It is a 3.830 bore engine.

Thanks,Nick

Just find a machinist that takes pride in his work. Run your fingernail across the mating surface to make sure you won't have head gasket sealing issues.

The only manufacturer I know of that makes Buick V6 sleeves is Darton.

There are quite a few companies that makes sleeves for the buicks. Once the machinist installs the sleeve and then machines the head surface, you should barely even notice it's there.. if you can even tell it's there.

Here is a sleeve I bought from LA Sleeve for the Buick V6. It was longer than needed so I cut it in my lathe. This sleeve had a flange at the deck surface which makes it nice. I bored the cylinder, cut the counterbore at the top and then honed to get the proper press fit. If it is done this way no sealer is needed when you press the sleeve in place. This installation process was recommended to me by the rep at LA Sleeve.

And Etiket is right.... a sleeve done properly is hard to see.

A custom sleeve is an option........an expensive option!! Mellings, LA Sleeve and Darton can all supply custom sleeves.
Picture 013.jpg

Last edited:
All the sleeves I've done were the non stepped type. You don't buy "Buick" sleeves, you get one with the bore and wall thickness you want.

Basically bore the hole, pop the sleeve out of the freezer, press it in, then use the boring bar to top the sleeve flush with the deck.

Sleeving is actually a lot simpler than most realize.

thanks for the advice guys.there was actually no need for me to even inquire about it.my machinist knew exactly what to do as you pointed out earlbrown.having a compident machinist you can trust is the most important part.

That is the entire trick. Paying someone to do a job means nothing if they don't feel like doing it right.

Which kidna explains why I do my own machining. lol