Crazy lines you hear from people at car shows

Even worse than general public who think they know everything about GNs, is someone with a GN and doesn't know crap about it. I can remember any exact stories but I know I have talked to a few GN guys at shows and ran into several that probably didn't even know the car was a V6.

72firebird said:
Even worse than general public who think they know everything about GNs, is someone with a GN and doesn't know crap about it. I can remember any exact stories but I know I have talked to a few GN guys at shows and ran into several that probably didn't even know the car was a V6.

Wow now that's bad! When owners don't have a clue. I ran into a few that were off on some things so I know what you mean there! That's why I enjoy the shows and cruises. I take them as a plus not a minus. I like to school and teach these people about the cars. Gives them greater respect for them. And stops them from going around talking all the wrong things to others..

Another Example.. I was at a cruise. Standing off to the side looking at some cars but in ear shot of mine.. 4 kids walked up and started talking about the car. 2 of them were getting some things right and 2 of them were lost in another world about the cars... Well I walked over, answered their questions for about 15 mins. and set them straight... 3 months later I'm at a show 50 miles away from that cruise.. 6 kids walk up 2 of them were ones I ran into and schooled at that cruise I talked about above. Well when their friends started flapping their gums about this and that on the GN's and were totally wrong the 2 kids I schooled previous put the other kids in their place by telling them the real story. And it was all the typical things.. they came with V8's The police owned 100's of them, They came twin turbo etc, etc,.. I walked over and shook the 2 kids hands and said good job.. you set these "know it all's straight" Their friends gave up after having me there to confirm what the 2 kids were saying was all true...

Same 2 kids I ran into them near the end of the season.. They said to me they have been setting people straight all summer going to different shows and cruises. They couldn't believe how many people were totally wrong about the turbo Buicks. They even school some old fart big block lawn chair sitting guys. So now these kids are new admirers of the turbo Buicks and know all the true things about them. They also come on the boards and read up on them from time to time as I always tell people to check out alll the turbo Buick boards to learn more. And that is the reason I sit in my lawn chair behind my car at a show or cruise rather then opening my wallet and letting the money flow out a quarter mile at a time :D

.....last summer, I was about to pull out of a parking spot at a grocery store and an older guy in a new 'vette pulls up along side me. He says " what's that gauge on the hood?".....I say "it's a clock"...he says " why is it mounted outside the cabin".....I say " Buick engineers decided it kept better time when mounted outside "....he says " that's a good idea....come to think of it, I've seen some others Buicks with the clock on the hood"

.....ignorance has no boundries....

BigDaddy said:
.....last summer, I was about to pull out of a parking spot at a grocery store and an older guy in a new 'vette pulls up along side me. He says " what's that gauge on the hood?".....I say "it's a clock"...he says " why is it mounted outside the cabin".....I say " Buick engineers decided it kept better time when mounted outside "....he says " that's a good idea....come to think of it, I've seen some others Buicks with the clock on the hood"

.....ignorance has no boundries....

LOL I'll keep that one in mind.. I like it! :D

I prefer to go around at car shows and cruise nights and talk to people about their cars.

After you read all the placards and window papers etc., you look at the mods. such as fuel cells, monster tachs., dual quads tunnel rams, huge tires, etc., then you ask the owner what it runs.

Obviously it's a car that's never seen rain or driven anywhere but to and from a "show" but they ALWAYS say it "should" run 10's all day. :D

Don't ever bring a WE4 to a cruise night and stay with the car. :eek: :D :p

true

salvageV6 said:
Don't ever bring a WE4 to a cruise night and stay with the car. :eek: :D :p

yeah thats for sure. Some idiot will say oh not quite a grandnational huh? :frown:

Hammer231 said:
Yeah, when they start talking about the V8 option or twin turbo option GNs that's always classic. I had a guy try to convince me once that the hot-air 84-85s were quicker than the 86-87s. This guy was thoroughly convinced of this.

My favorite one is....My next door neighbor had one just like it,only it was a 4 door......

Kid at a car show looking at a friends GN: "look man these things were factory supercharged,there it is" while pointing at the alternator.LOL

Had to set him straight and tell him it's TURBOCHARGED and that is an ALTERNATOR.He said well ok,I don't know nothing about cars anyways.Then I asked him why he bothered to open his mouth then and let all the stupid fall out?

Should've seen the look on his face.

Just saturday night at the club race night,some old dude comes up to a friend and I and looks down the line of GN's and T's and says "sure looks like the chevies still rule the dragstrip huh?" to that I said ummm yeah OK.I didn't know if he was putting us down or trying to say they were monte carlos's.I think the latter because when he looked down under the hood he made a funny face,never said anymore after that.

Going through Mac Diners (McDonalds) last weekend I got asked if I worked at Jiffy Lube... phhhht! :confused:

I got tired of all the comments and stopped going to shows till father in law bought a 66 vette now I take him along and park the car and walk away. I just cant stand stupid people. Somedays Im one of them. I did ask my father in law how he liked all the people walkin past his car and talkin about mine just to get his goat. Hahaha.

Well I try to hit the local "shows" (two a week in our area) and get a kick out of all the misinformation out there. The best one HAD to be at Jiffy-Lube running low on time and a buddie's son works there so went to get the oil changed and one of the "Management" walked out to ask which office I worked for :confused: ???? I saw where he was going so I had to run with it. :biggrin: I told him I was from the main office and was doing random procedure checks!! (Buddies son about to burst in the pit under the car). He tells me "Oh I heard you may be around. and my car got the most TLC from anyone other than myself ever. I couldn't help it so just after I payed I told the guy what was up and that I was just pulling his leg. HE got PI$$ED :mad: !!! My buddies son was fired for "being in on the whole thing" :confused: I think if you cannot see that the turbo 6 emblem is GOING THE WRONG WAY and are to stupid to know the diffrence OH well. I had a great laugh from it. by the way buddies son got a better job just 3 days later so all is good.

wow some of you guys must have been born knowing everything about every car ever made becuase if some one doesn't know what type of car you have they must be stupid.
i don't know a lot about things out side of my personal interest as i am shore if i was at a mustang car show i would be lost because i don't car for fords;
as some of those peolple might have been mopar or ford people.

You have a point, but the difference between myself and those that make stupid comments is that when I talk about something I don't know about, I try to make it clear that I am not sure of what I am saying, and usually just avoid statements of what I believe to be fact preferring to ask questions instead.

It would be like me going to a dive shop and trying to tell them what regulators do and which one is the best rather than me asking what they do or phrasing what I think they do in the form of a question.

Say for instance I know what a GN is but im not sure what kind of engine or turbo combo they come with but I think they came with twin turbos

"Hey man, did these cars come with twin turbos? thats what I've heard"

not "These cars came with twin turbos!"

fcheshir said:
Going through Mac Diners (McDonalds) last weekend I got asked if I worked at Jiffy Lube... phhhht! :confused:

I always say Yes! I am glad you noticed. In 1987, Jiffy Lube purchased 20,000 Buick Regals and modified them to their exacting specifications. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one.

If I can keep a straight face it works.

phillyturbosix said:
I always tell people I have the Jiffy Lube addition Buick Regal. :biggrin:

reminds me of an eBay listing I saw a few years ago. it was for an apparentlyed used t-shirt that was white with "Buick" accross the top in red lettering and the power 6 logo in red below that. The Power 6 was solid red, not orange and yellow so that must have "confused" the seller (yeah, right). Anway the text describing the shirt read something like:

....white cotten shirt with Buick and Jiffy-Lube logos in red. Own a piece of racing history with this shirt that commemorates the partnership of these two great companies...blah, blah, blah..

I wonder if anyone ever set the seller straight?? :rolleyes:

no-nos said:
i've heard most of them but my favorite one was " i should have gotten the 88 instead of the 87" :rolleyes:

and why don't you buy the one with the v-8 in it :eek:

i give-up :confused:

actually, they DID make "a few" 88' grand nationals. They tried to keep the name alive and they were n/a, with gn emblems and the hood flipped up from the back. Think the count was like 150 or some low production # like that.

I believe you're referring to the LeSabre Grand National. totally different platform - front drive, n/a, etc. seems like it would make an excellent daily driver, although maybe to rare? :cool:

i was in class and we went out on a break and i was checking my oil cuz i have a slight leak and a guy said to me what kinda engine is that and i told him and his reply was man you should take that out and put a 305 in it i bet it would rip. I didnt say anything just thought to myself wow

hey Jim.. how about the kid at Smithville who thought your TTA was a GTA. And went so far as to almost argue with me about it. LOL...