Crazy lines you hear from people at car shows

yea my buddy has a sweet black Monte SS with tan gut. Were pulling that pos 305 out and tossin it in the trash this winter! Turbo six engine and trans will be in there. He's been buyin parts for over a year now. Little here, little there.. but it's going to be totally rebuild and new everything! Should come out real nice. The cool part is when I'm at a show or cruise with him I'll be able to say.. now there is a Monte SS you jack a$$ and it's a rare one with a 6 cyl. in it! That should send them on their way head shaking! :D

fcheshir said:
Going through Mac Diners (McDonalds) last weekend I got asked if I worked at Jiffy Lube... phhhht! :confused:

My wife gives me crap about that all the time....You and your car with the Jiffy Lube emblems.

I was the first in line at the track last year waiting for them to clean up an import that blew up at the starting line. I was chatting with a guy that had an 87 Cutlass with a 350 in it. He asked me when I was going to put a V8 in mine :rolleyes: I ran a my 12.6 and then wached him run a high 14. I should have responded,"why put a V8 in it, so I can make it slower?" Lol

now there is a Monte SS you jack a$$ and it's a rare one with a 6 cyl. in it!

you can make up some story about it being a pilot car for when they were considering puting the turbo v6 in a monte or something like that.

stop crying the monte is a better looking car anyway so take the compliment gracefully and say thanks.

if the monte carlo came with the turbo 3.8 from the factory you would be complaning about your car been called a regal.

I personally find the Regal to be BY FAR the best looking G-body....followed by the Grand Prix/Cutlass followed by the El Camino followed by the Monte SS and then the regular MC/Malibu.
So, to me it is an insult...not only that, but GN's have far more value than a Monte.
On top of that, you don't go telling someone about their car - they SHOULD know better than you what their car has.

PS: The Monte did come with a turbo 3.8...it was just an underpowered carbed turbo setup just like the Sport Coupe Regals and Le Sabres.

dentmasters01 said:
actually, they DID make "a few" 88' grand nationals. They tried to keep the name alive and they were n/a, with gn emblems and the hood flipped up from the back. Think the count was like 150 or some low production # like that.

i had a lesaber t-type ran strong to, what i loved was that the hood opened up backwards(?) i loved it until i got creamed by girl on a cell phone, but i got no complaints, i walked right out , not a scratch.

you can make up some story about it being a pilot car for when they were considering puting the turbo v6 in a monte or something like that.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with my Cutlass. Having a sign made up and all. It is already a 442 clone and when I did take it finally to a Goodguys show I got a lot of looks and ?s about if the 442's came turbocharged. A few people didn't even notice it was a six they thought it was an 8. The best part to me... quite a few people recognized the engine as a GN engine. Not as many realized it was a clone :rolleyes: I still have the column shift and the rear plush seat.

On a slightly related note; if you think the Monte thing is bad, try having a Cutlass that says 442 all over it and people think it's a Regal. I even have one friend who is into cars and knows exactly what I have but still calls my car a T Type.
Worst one yet...." ...does that have a 442 in it ?..." . I just laugh and say better. Sometimes I say its a clone and only has a v6. If you don't know, no 442 ever had a 442 ci engine nor did Olds make one.

Anyway, fun reading some of your posts. Just remember to take it easy on some of the kids out there as you could be the one to help turn them onto cars or turn them away by being a jackass.

Same crap different cars...

You should hear what Fiero Owners have to put up with, 10X the BS.

Most people don't have a clue, even owners themselves.

Unless you do the research, or your a die-hard enthusiast, your clueless.

Dude trying to impress his girlfriend walking up to my friends '83 Regal with a Stage-1...(it's old school with big round chrome aircleaner and "Stage-1" decal on it) "Thats a Grand National <blah blah blah> came with turbo charged V6...<blah blah blah> <then getting closer> hmmmm I don't see the turbo", I've got my arm on the roof, asks if it's mine.
Me; Nope, my friends.
him; Why did he take off the turbo?
me; This was a regular Regal, never had a turbo.
him; The regular Regals didn't have turbos? What motor is this?
me; 455
him; Is that a V8? <coulda knocked me over with a feather>
me; Uhh YEAH!
him; What year Regal? <me; 83> Wow, I didn't know they still made 455s in '83!
Heres your sign! Of course I schooled him after that.
Once in a while he gets "is that the original motor?"

Another time, same car, BTW he has GNX fender vents and a turbo hood (sans emblems of course), is painted a champagne/rose-ish color and being a Limited has
the half vinyl roof. People ask if it's a "real" GN (sometimes GNX) or a clone.
We've over heard them talking to one another saying "these originally had a turbocharged V6.." and, " I or my (fill in the blank) had one just like it and it was FA-A-A-A-A-ST"
Us: Oh you swapped in a big block?
him; Wha...oh no, it had the original 350 <original 350, sure ya did Sparky> and had the special chip for it. It would run 150 all day long."
This same friend also has an '87 T and we've heard all the same stuff about twin turbos, FBI chips, rare limited V8 turbos.

In a gas station once I was filling my washer bottle in the GTP when some wanker asked how much more over boost I can run with that. I was like "what???". He pointed to the washer bottle while I was still pouring and said again, "how much more over boost can you run with that? <still a puzzled look on my face he added> THAT, Your water/alcohol injection." I thought about running him over to prevent him from reproducing but held up the now empty bottle and rather coldly said 'this is washer fluid, I use it to keep my windshield clean.'
Had one guy insist the rear wheel drive version was better, this after I confirmed he was talking about the mid/late '90s (mine is a '98) models. I should have run him over with the water/alcohol guy.
A guy at a muffler shop told me how his boss would leave the belt off the supercharge on his Bonnie SSEi for better mileage and less strain on the engine, only throwing it back on when he wanted to have some fun.

I'm always asked if my 9C1 Caprice (po' mans Impy SS) still has the special "cop chip". If it's a 'normal' person that just picked up rumors I explain it all, how there is no removable chip also how PCMs are programmed and that it's the same engine/programming that their Aunt Mildred could've had in her Roadmaster wagon.
If they seem like a putz I act like I'm letting them in on a secret, telling them the cops said I could keep it if I promised to only put in at the race track. I also tell them a friend works at a wrecking yard and took a chip from an FBI car that has an even more powerful chip and how that one made the car so fast it almost burned up the engine so I gave it back.
There's also the usual "those have the Corvette engine", group of dingleberries.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

olds443 said:
Worst one yet...." ...does that have a 442 in it ?..." . I just laugh and say better. Sometimes I say its a clone and only has a v6. If you don't know, no 442 ever had a 442 ci engine nor did Olds make one.

Yup! It originally stood for 4-speed, 4-barrel(carb of course :p), and 2-exhuast pipes :)

My wife thought about getting a Cutlass and doing a turbo conversion....but she decided she would probably, when it was all said an done, put a regal front clip and regal taillights so we decided not to buy a cutlass :)

My dad used to tell people when asked what year our 66 GTO was that is was a "6". They would then say "76?" He would follow up with "dumbass! 66!" then walk off.

Once my Dad was talking to some genius who started going on about our 65 Fairlane (289 powered automatic). Anyways he was acting like he knew all about all Fords and asked if it had the 390 still. He thought it was a GTA which came out with the new body style in 66 and 67. It even has the fender badges on the side that spell out "289". So Dad begins to tell him that it has a 428 Cobra Jet and 4 speed, that he had swapped out the 390 for. The guy was just salivating at the thought... he wanted to see under the hood but for whatever reason didn't, I think one of Dads friends came up.

Funny thing is when I was a kid my Dad had a 66 Fairlane GTA that he bought with a blown up engine and he put a 428 CJ in it. He took it to Sears Point and drove it to work daily. When that engine wore out he was able to get a Boss 302 and swap it in. He still likes to tell how the Boss was faster, I guess it liked the 4 spd and 4:11's better.
The GTA was cool, total sleeper. dark green with magnum 500 wheels.

huh. I didnt know that there were GTA Fords or 390 Fords(Though that was jsut an AMC thing) :p
But then again, I've only owned a 93 5.0 LX Mustang :)

Mustangs and Fairlanes only. GT was for the manual trans and GTA's were automatics.
I have been checking out those AMX's more and more lately, I really like them.

good luck finding one. i still kick myself everyday, I was in the navy and had my 68 baracuda. on one of the base car sale lots, we called it the lemon lot, there was a pretty nice i believe 69?? AMX, not positive, anyway it was black, had a 390, 4-speed with the track pac rear end, 3.90 gears i think. 4k. this was before i knew they only made like 10 or 12k of those cars total and who know how many with that combo. i should have snatched it up, oh well i guess we all have the one that got away story.

Yea I'm dragging this old post up again.....
So today I guy asks me about my T Type and then it hits...
"Yeah they made alot more of these. They only made 765 Grand Nationals... you know why they only made 765? Because the Recaro seats they came with,they could only get 765 pairs":rolleyes:
I immediately thought of this post and the others like it. I didn't correct him as I didn't know him and he seemed to be the I know everything type. Idiot (not just for the GN comment, Idiot in general).

He must be right. Didn't you know? There's a whole chapter in Kirban's book about the "Recaro:"seats. :rolleyes: Lol, where do people come up with this stuff?