Cotton's Or Cas's

TEST MY 6

Not trying to start a war here but was looking to get some insight or experiences with either of theese vendors FMIC'S for use on a street driven TR as it will affect my choice of purchase.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Cottons FM is definately the biggest one from what I have seen. The CAS is also a very good unit and if you get the V2 it is black and almost undetectable from behind the grill. Personally if I went with a front mount i would go with Cottons because of sheer size and I think it would look real nice behind the black grill of a TR. You cant go wrong either way though so pick your poison!:D

FM

Jack Cottons FM is a very nice unit and it DOES have a provision for the sway bar if i'm not mistaken. i'm sure CAS has a good unit, but I know FIRST hand that Jack is a great guy, spending WAY too much time on the phone talking to people with concerns on their TR/GN's. :D

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
-> got SLICKS?
-> got WHEELS ?

I have been running the Cotton's mega FMIC for about a year. Love it. It is so big that most people think they are looking at the radiator core and not the IC. Fit is great, installation is a breeze. I run 11.2 @120 with it and i know it will take anything i throw at it.
Mitch

The CAS uses later core technology and should provide better charge cooling. If you want a really big one, go to the V1.

On the other hand, if you have been following the other threads on front mounts vs oem location mounts, you will have noticed that most that have some actual experience say the V4 will perform as well as a front mount until one is well into the tens and there is no penalty involved with cooling system issues.

Without a doubt run the CAS. Tony is the only one that actually designs these and has the tooling for the newest in core technology, extruded tube and fin. Cottons piece might be big, but CAS has 3 front mount sizes and Cottons cores are spearco, or bar and plate. That core has been passed twice due to newer technology. 1) tube and fin 2) extruded tube and fin.

My V2 fit fine with the sway bar, and Cottons piece is designed after CAS so they bolt up and fit the same. They are also priced very close to each other. CAS is the only vendor with flow numbers from a flow tunnel though. CONFIDENCE comes to mind on this issue also.

I recently bought a CAS V2 and love it. It made a huge difference in performance and like others have said, it is very stealthy. My engine temperatures increased alot and I had to install a better fan. I installed the dual fans from Ramchargers and man, now we're in business. So expect another cost for fans if you haven't upgraded already. I can't speak Cotton's intercooler, but I do like Jack alot, LOL.

The PTE FMIC is also a pretty nice unit (I've seen several guys go 4-5 tenths and 4-5 mph faster with this FM). Many guys think the V2 and Cotton's FM are better, but I doubt that very much unless they are going 6-7 tenths and 6-7 mph faster. :rolleyes: IMO, you can't go wrong with just about any of the aftermarket FMs sold for our cars, but as Steve mentioned why get a FM when a V4 will work just as well until you're running well into the 10's.