Consensus of using flow master mufflers?

49-blues

What's the option of using flow master mufflers on our GNS ? What are the better mufflers to use?

If you already have them, and like the sound and performance, leave them.

The norm for a turbo car is straight thru mufflers for making the most power and quickest spool.

Another member sent me this. Should help you decide.
MufflerComparisionChart.jpg

Backpressure saps performance on a Turbo car.

If you like the sound and just drive the car around or have a dump for the track, FM's are fine. If you go to the track, Flowmasters will show up on a timeslip vs. a straight though muffler.

Flowmasters are not the best flowing mufflers for sure but do not believe all of the hype about them here on TB.com. I have a mid 10 sec car with FM's and the car will run the same thru the mufflers or with an open downpipe. My car has dual 2.75" exhaust(old BGC) and has dual 3" FM's which flow enough to support mid 10 sec power. If I was running a single 3" with a FM that would likely be an issue and something like an Ultra-flo would be a better choice but will duals they flow plenty. Some of the guys here think just transporting Flowmaster in the trunk will slow down your car 3.5 seconds automatically.

Reactions: BMR
I just put a Pypes system on last week. The Race Pro mufflers are very quiet and are absolutely straight through (one end is offset but oh well, you can see right through them). It is amazing how quiet they actually are. I cannot imagine a better muffler with sound control like this.

I had flowmasters years ago and they cost me 40 HP on the dyno. You need muffs that are straight thru not muffs with baffles. I use to run hookers that were straight thru it was good until it rotted out. I run Pypes now best bang for the buck.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm another one that had the flowmasters and upgraded to something better flowing. I was losing 6 psi through the flowmasters. They sounded great but in my application I was leaving power on the table when running through the mufflers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my ATR stainless exhaust with straight through mufflers.

To bad they went out of business they made some good hard parts.

I wish they were on the chart above so I could get an idea of how they stack up against the newer offerings.

I had a car with flowmasters and leaky header crossover connections, when I installed the Pypes the car slowed down-- because the Flowmasters had back pressure to offset the leaky crossover connection. I fixed the crossover connection next and all is well.
So I guess if you have leaky headers get flowmasters!:LOL:

What Pypes muffler P/N's are you guys using, and what are the dimensions? I assume 2.5" inlet? I see they have 3 models of mufflers: Race Pro, Street Pro & Violator. I like the looks of those, might look into something generic-fit for my Torrent GXP as well.

Race pros are supposed to be the best flowing and ironically also the quietest.

two things.. not all straight through mufflers flow the same. and a good friend of mine went 140mph in the quarter with flow masters at the end of the factory y pipe... not sure which ones and how much power he lost, but still they supported 140mph...

I'm not an advocate of FM's though.

I went with the Pypes 2.5" but did not use their mufflers, I installed Dynomax VT mufflers. Love the sound and no drone. There is a video clip at the bottom of my signature.

Bryan