Computer Problem: Wrong BIOS

xlr8ngn

Well, I "update" my win 98 with 2000 and everything went smoothly. I went onto the motherboard website and supposedly got the appropriate bios and updated it through windows. Now, the computer will not load up windows. I can get to the CMOS setup utility and the basic BIOS utility. I have tried the fail-safe setup through CMOS, and tried recovering the BIOS w/ the utility but nothing works. It seems the chip is getting too hot and freezing also. The system health says it gets over 90 degrees C.

How do I update my BIOS without windows? All I have is the BIOS in an executable file for windows. TIA.

what MB and chipset do you have ? some of the older ones(you did say you were running 98) still have a bootable dos floppy exe that you can use..but you have to have a bootable floppy..

I have a bootable disk from 98. I put the right BIOS in there but nothing happened. It freezes before it goes to the floppy. I think it is a hardware failure because I am getting the black screen of death now. Oh well, time to buy some new stuff. It worked great for the past 4 years.

BTW, it is a gigabyte 7DXC MB w/ AMD.

I think she is done, but thanks anyway.

I would worry about the heat issue first. If the BIOS is reporting 90c, and the computer is locking up before Windows loads - you need to fix the heat problem NOW. Get some thermal grease, pull off the old heatsink/fan unit, clean it up, check to make sure the fan is spinning right, and reattach it CAREFULLY. Those AMD cores are extremely fragile.

What is the fan RPM showing in the BIOS?

N/M I read the rest of your last post. Probably smoked the processor - Save some money - get another AMD and replace it every year or so, or get a fast P4 and be done with it.