Desktop Computer help

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Let me start off with, i'm no computer guru. I learn enough to keep our ancient machine running.

I have the malware bytes free and super anti spyware free, and have been using the cc cleaner. These seem to keep our old machine running xp moving along. I updated each of these last weekend and ran them but when I updated the cc cleaner the machine would shut down and reboot. so I deleted this program and went on my merry way.

today I downloaded the freeware again and it did the same shut down and reboot. Is there something wrong with this software or is my system just too old to take advantage of it? It worked well up until the last update last week end.

Thanks for any help.

Have you tried to download CCleaner professional 14 day free trial?

There are some CCleaner downloads that are not safe to use,Norton catches them for me and i just try another one. I like CCleaner been using it a long time.

XP? Man good OS but time to retire it lol. I'm sure your aware there are no longer any security updates for it right?

Wouldn't be using it for any kind of online purchasing / taxes, etc. But that's just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like lol.

Personally I really like widows 7 professional. Hopefully windows 10 fixes the issues with 8.1.

I have been using it for years. It just started acting up with the latest "update". I've been getting it from the piriform site.
Maybe I can find an older version to try.

When I say update I'm talking about security updates from Microsoft. They are no longer providing them I'm sure your aware of this. There was quite a computer community disturbance in the force about a year ago...

Windows XP is what i use. And Piriform CCleaner latest version.

I go to control panel,add and remove programs,and look under support for CCleaner.

I use nothing by Malwarebytes Pro on all my 'puters. They all stay clean and the program is minimally invasive.

XP? Man good OS but time to retire it lol. I'm sure your aware there are no longer any security updates for it right?

Wouldn't be using it for any kind of online purchasing / taxes, etc. But that's just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like lol.

Personally I really like widows 7 professional. Hopefully windows 10 fixes the issues with 8.1.
We had a windows 7 machine but the hard drive crashed and I wasn't able to get it going again so I got the older machine with the xp up and running again. Maybe I need to try to get another hard drive and get the 7 going again . I'm not much on the stuff newer than 7. My mil has a laptop with something newer and man I just could not navigate that thing.
I am getting pretty good at regular backups to a DVD and a thumb drive to not loose photos like in the last crash.

I gave my mom an XP desktop that I upgraded from so she could surf the net and shop. It finally died and would freeze after booting up. Nothing on the HD fortunately. Even froze in safe mode. Just comes time to get another one eventually.

I keep an eye out. These last few I've bought have been refurbished including this one about 10yrs ago. This is on its second or third power supply.
Since CompUSA shut down their retail outlet and frys just hasn't had what I want in a refurbished I haven't pulled the trigger on one.

You can get some nice refurbish deals online at tiger direct. Just set my dad up this year with 2 windows 7 pro desktop towers. I think they were 350 a piece. Windows 7 pro, 1TB hard drive, 8GB ddr3, in a HP 8000 series tower which has like 10 USB ports 4 of them on the front. Nice deal. Its been like 8 months so idk what they have now

I like to go into retail places with cash and beat them down. Doesnt work near as well on the interwebz.

You can find some good deals for refurbished computers online. The one i'm using now i paid $110.00 shipped about 4 years ago. I've had new ones and they didn't work any better or last any longer.