Comp Turbo CTRX Turbos, Let's Chat

Dynoman, can you talk about the details on the housing and post a picture, nice. I'll assume like .82 and v band outlet DP flange?

Can you comment on if they did a custom for you or if they already had the exhaust housing for us and it wasn't a big buck custom tag?

It looks like street/strip cars use the water cooling but oil less turbo. Air cooled is mainly for those with exposed turbos.

They can do the three bolt exhaust housings to fit the Buick. The last 58/58 I bought from them I had them use the stock exhaust housing. They were having a hard time finding those to build them. 4 bolts are no problem.

Curious...

You think HPT would sell their exhaust housing separately?
Could be a great combo even if you pay a premium for the housing.

Curious...

You think HPT would sell their exhaust housing separately?
Could be a great combo even if you pay a premium for the housing.
most likely they are not compatible.
I tried to get the ball rolling on that.
No go
There really is no need if you think about.
A 3 bolt .85 in the proper combo and a comp turbo setup we can make 1000hp with backpressure at 1.8 and...
The 3 bolt at is much smaller than a 4 bolt ar and does not flow the same
Ex:4 bolt .82 will outflow a pte.85 3 bolt.
When I push to 1100/1200 the backpressure starts to jump big time.
A 4 bolt or v band setup will drop that backpressure and can actually spool faster.
I've personally seen 3/1 on a 3 bolt.
It's not where the turbo wants to be.
So 4 bolting above 1000hp or even way below it is better as long as turbo response is there.
The turbo works much more efficiently,
Lasts longer,
Tuning window increases.
Charge temps can be lower.
There are host of advantages getting the turbo system to run in lower backpressure.
With these new turbos and the flow they can achieve with lower backpressure it's really the smarter way and cheaper down the road.
Big power low backpressure.
it's not the overall hp a person makes on a 3 bolt.
Looking at backpressure should be on the list for alot of guys.
wastegate control is a must

I was most curious about the wastegate being on the housing to eliminate the weak point of actuator. The combo of hubless turbo and wastegate on the ex housing would be a killer 2024 combo for this platform.

I was most curious about the wastegate being on the housing to eliminate the weak point of actuator. The combo of hubless turbo and wastegate on the ex housing would be a killer 2024 combo for
The wastegate needs to be in the header to give proper control and proper backpressure number of how the turbo system truly works.
The ex housing is after the headers and depending on the size/ar can give a false indication/reading.
So beware😉

The smart guys/fhys who want to get the most out of the turbo system do not run any kind of actuator😉
Co2 and an external wastegate will give complete control over boost and...... ..
Not have to react/and based solely to the manifold pressure but he ahead of it by applying pressure to gate😉

Thanks for the info, I was unaware that pulse control at the ex housing was inferior vs the manifold.

Concerning all these new turbos coming and running stock 3 bolt, T3, T4 or V band that are all different depending on brand.

I asked my fabricator if a multi turbo flange option was possible where you cut off a few inches below the main turbo flange, create a v band there (say Garrett) on the stock manifold and then make short pieces off that which puts any turbo flange on the turbo end you want so you can effectively run any turbo from that point forwards. I'm in this situation, I can only run Garrett turbo v bands but the idea above would allow anyone to run whatever turbo flange they wanted buy just creating the new turbo end piece to match. It would be the first unisex turbo manifold on the planet. LOL

Thanks for the info, I was unaware that pulse control at the ex housing was inferior vs the manifold.

Concerning all these new turbos coming and running stock 3 bolt, T3, T4 or V band that are all different depending on brand.

I asked my fabricator if a multi turbo flange option was possible where you cut off a few inches below the main turbo flange, create a v band there (say Garrett) on the stock manifold and then make short pieces off that which puts any turbo flange on the turbo end you want so you can effectively run any turbo from that point forwards. I'm in this situation, I can only run Garrett turbo v bands but the idea above would allow anyone to run whatever turbo flange they wanted buy just creating the new turbo end piece to match. It would be the first unisex turbo manifold on the planet. LOL
Those are called adapters😉
And anything to be made to fit if you know how to weld or have someone who can do the fab work.
In reality it's not a big deal to cut a header flange and weld on say a 4 bolt from a 3 bolt flange
A standard 4 bolt will bolt up to any 4 bolt ex housing out there.
It's the v band stuff that requires more attention😉
But that's not a big deal either.

Weld on adapters are great if you choose T4 to start, but V band isn't a unified size between brands so it's a mess.

Manifold side V band = Garrett
Maybe 3" of tubing
Turbo side V band = whatever you want

This way since Comp uses Tial v band size you swap out this double sided v band adapter for Comp, then say Garrett does a better hubless later on you go to Garrett etc and get a 2nd small adapter joint made.

The above will make it easier for us to jump to different turbo brands since the 3 bolt is a PIA for them all and not as efficient as you've stated.

You running T4 Spool?
V band is nicer for oil return, getting on or off quickly, lighter and room around the flange in general.

Weld on adapters are great if you choose T4 to start, but V band isn't a unified size between brands so it's a mess.

Manifold side V band = Garrett
Maybe 3" of tubing
Turbo side V band = whatever you want

This way since Comp uses Tial v band size you swap out this double sided v band adapter for Comp, then say Garrett does a better hubless later on you go to Garrett etc and get a 2nd small adapter joint made.

The above will make it easier for us to jump to different turbo brands since the 3 bolt is a PIA for them all and not as efficient as you've stated.

You running T4 Spool?
V band is nicer for oil return, getting on or off quickly, lighter and room around the flange in general.
I have a few cars🤣
I usually dont recommend v band stuff because the housings although lighter are much more expensive and there are other ways to get that weight advantage back.
If I was doing a twin turbo car from scratch I would do v band to save weight.
When you go with big singles they are very heavy due even with v band due to the chassis of the turbo.
one of my cars that is on a comp triple bb is a large frame on a 4 bolt twin scroll with an aluminum downpipe😁
I like the twin scroll 4 bolt stuff.
Below 1700hp
Then t6 😎

Are comps center sections larger like PTE or smaller like the Garret G turbos and the HPT?

With a T4 I ran in to issues getting a good fit with the oil return and other issues with some turbos. In other applications it would not be as hard to do but the orientation on our cars puts the T4 flange in a bad spot to run a big oil return line.

What I ran in to in my experimenting with Cruz headers with T4 flange and v-band downpipe:
  • BoostLab 6766 JB: Zero issues with oil return or v-band downpipe.
  • BorgWarner EFR with AGP Turbo T4 housing: No issue with downpipe or oil return; compressor housing would require modifying the water neck.
  • Garrett G30-990 from APT Turbo, T4: There was not enough room between the T4 flange and the compressor housing to run a return line; downpipe would also need to be modified for the Garrett v-band
  • HPT 6466 T4: Too tight to run a modified stock return line without it touching the T4 flange.
I went back to the good set of stock headers I had and used the 3-bolt HTP 6466 so I could keep using the external wastegate. While having the gate on the wastegate housing is not 100% ideal it is much better control than the stock style flapper.

the people I deal with
I try to save them from the troubles you have some across.
Alot of what you went through is unnecessary.

And for guys that dont modify things correctly
Comp does make oiless turbos that takes the angle/ header design out of the equation

Oiless sure does solve the oil return tube problem. Then just water cooling which is pretty straight forward for us from intake to turbo to the water pump.

Just to give info on a the comp turbo custom builds I have done
Many have been completed, shipped, and recieved already😉
The ctr extended tip triple bb in both 3 and 4 bolt have the quicker build times
But....
A 3 bolt hubless ctr-x triple bb just was shipped yesterday to someone😎

What are these going for?
3 bolt 6262 TBB
4 bolt T3 .82 6262 TBB
There's no info online yet.