Comments on my choices for a small SUV

Originally posted by jmidolo
This may or my not apply, but do you have a GM card?

When I got my Tahoe they were doing 2k cash back..so I got it for 3300 under invoice cause I had 1500 in GM savings and I told the salesguy I wanted it for 2k under invoice including the 2000 cash back. He didnt' even balk...said sure, come on in. Was the easiest transaction ever.

One thing you may want to look at too is the Bravada's. They are AWD, and are offeing or at least were...7yr warrantys cuz Olds is going out...might be worth a looksee.

J,
No, I don't have the GM card... Let me see if I'm clear on your #'s here. So, basically, you got the car at only $200 over invoice as your negotiated price, then got your 1500 off from the card, and 2000 cash back on top of that, which means you got it for 3300 under invoice. $200 over invoice is insane. I sure would love to get that! I wonder if it's a matter of a dealer having the truck I want on the lot so they have the motivation to sell it. I'm worried most will have decked out XLTs, not sparsely optioned LS's like I want.

The Bravada is like the Blazer instead of the Trailblazer right? Or is it the same as the Trailblazer?

Yes, you are correct.

Here's the deal...if a GM dealer sells a vehicle AT INVOICE..ie no profit..you would think..WRONG. GM gives a 3% kickback to the dealers. So, for arguements sake..say the invoice is 10,000 a nice round number. The dealer would get the 3% holding fee from GM which would be 300 bux. So on a 30,000 invoice vehicle the dealer is still making 900 bux

So, DO NOT pay more than invoice or in my situation 200 over! The reason I paid 300 over invoice and I did not mind is that the dealer located the vehicle 30 miles away and had to go down and pick it up. 200 bux was not a big deal to me as he did every thing else I asked inlcuding getting me a good rate for the note.

Any GM dealership should be able to give you this price although from what I've seen the "SUPER GM CENTERS" like the biggest in the area and crap...dont' typically do this..it's the smaller ones that want to move the cars. I went to my local dealership in town that I've dealt in the past and they were great.

Just figure out what you want and go in there..the less time of theirs you waste the better chances of getting a killer deal. Figure out your options and stuff on line what you think you may want, go drive one and make em an offer.

Print out your MSRP and Invoice pricing off edmunds.com and make them an invoice offer. Make sure they don't screw you and say..sure we can do invoice w/the cash back!

You want invoice minus the 2 or 3k they are giving back.

Bravad..yes, like the Trailblazer/Envoy, just the Olds version of it.

Hope that helps!

Thanks again J,

Well, now I have two other sets of dealers to talk to....man.
But, generally, I think the GMC and Olds's are more optioned and expensive than teh Chevys, if I remember correctly.

I just heard back from one dealer, he's got an LT with no other real options (vs the LS I wanted with the big option package) and says he'll do 300 over invoice. So, at least it sounds like they're willing to start that low.

Sounds good. You are correct on the GMC/Olds..they come std with more options for more money. Also, the Olds is AWD and has the Autoride suspension which I think the Envoy has as well. I have the Autoride in the Tahoe and love it. Its air leveling suspension makes the ride quality very nice and if you tow it's really a nicey thing to have. But not a "must have" by any means. The LT group gives you all the gotta haves anyways.

300 over invoice..there ya go..w/the 3k cash back you'll be at 2700 under. Don't fall for any BS items either like advertising fees and crapola like that that some sleezbags try to use. GM is really doing some good incentives to move inventory..they are even doing 0% or 2k back on the Vette, which they NEVER do! I was looking at em online last night...about the same cost as the bmw i'm lookin at :)

Joe

We bought the Jeep Liberty Sport when they first came out in 2002. Our primary reason was that it could be towed 4 wheels down (we have a motorhome). Since then, my wife has taken it over as her daily driver. Price was right for what we got, under 22K and was loaded with everything. Fuel economy on SUV's are not the greatest, but the Liberty is getting approx 17 MPG around town. We really enjoy it and have not had any problems after putting 28K miles on it. Good vehicle. Rich

You might still be able to find an Isuzu Trooper, which would be dirt cheap now, and a good mid-size SUV. They'll run forever, and still offer excellent 4 wheeling for an IFS SUV. Would have the 10 yr powertrain warranty, if you find one new (not transferable used, unless between immediate family members).
I agree about the Murano, that thing looks pretty good. Especially the rear end treatment--and under the hood. Maybe prices will come down a bit later.

Well, now the debate... I've found a couple Trailblazers that I can get for $25,500 all said and done. Do I go for that, or save 3-4k and go for the smaller Escape/Liberty..... It makes me want to go for the Trailblazer since it's retail is $31,000, which is $6,500 or so more than the others, but I'd only be paying 3 or $4k more since GM is throwing 3k back.

The straight alum 4.2 is a great motor...270hp and smooth as silk. How'd you make out w/bartering on invoice pricing?

The straight alum 4.2 is a great motor...270hp and smooth as silk. How'd you make out w/bartering on invoice pricing?

I havnen't gotten down to the nitty gritty yet, but the ones I've found are ADVERTISED for only 500 above invoice, so I figure I'll say "hey, either knock a few hundred more off, or throw in a bike rack and kayack rack attachment and I'll be happy"

There we some dealers around here doing that when I bought my truck...that 500 over invoice includes whatever cash back GM was doing at the time...so if that's the case, don't waste your time with that dealer.

http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/suv-03.htm

The Trailblazer gets the worst mpg of the bunch. The Liberty is the cleanest-running of the SUVs on your short list, producing half the smoggy gases of the others.

Otherwise, I think it probably comes down to what size vehicle you need and which one just feels right. Even considering the above, I'd be sorely tempted by the straight 6 in the Trailblazer. That motor is probably the best thing GM has developed in years (except maybe for the Z06 'Vette :cool:).

I had a Trailblazer...

I can't say enough about 'em. I had one before I came here to Germany. The 4.2 inline is really smooth.. nice power to it. Kinda bugged me for a bit knowing there's no throttle linkage, but I think ya didn't know, ya wouldn't. Solid piece. As someone posted, the Trailblazer definately has grown compared to the Blazer. They were still sellin' the S-10 Blazers alongside the Trailblazers.. Big diff. I had a 2 door GMC Jimmy... the Trailblazer is a school bus compared...

I didn't care for the new Envoy and Olds offereing... too glitzy.

I also see them floating around here in Germany. Looks mammoth compared to the shoeboxes they drive here. Wonder how it does on the Autobahn. Trailblazers here have the amber turn signals and one reverse light.. one rear foglight.

There we some dealers around here doing that when I bought my truck...that 500 over invoice includes whatever cash back GM was doing at the time...so if that's the case, don't waste your time with that dealer.
No, it didn't say "$500 over invoice" it said "sale price xxxx" and the sale price was only 500 over invoice. It never even mentioned the cash back yet.

Bump for Kia/Hyundai

My wife and I went through this decision last year after we bought our 1st house. I wanted a truck, but she didn’t want to get stuck driving a full size truck/SUV. We decided to look at small SUVs and pick up a trailer for Home Depot runs. (Still haven’t bought a trailer, but I can rent a nice one for 10 bucks a day… so not worth buying)

Anyway, we owned a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon at the time. Our choices at the time were the Hyundai Sante Fe, Mazda/Ford, Kia Sportage or the Rav4. I REALLY wanted a Trailblazer (still do… just not in the cards money wise). Never really considered a Jeep, Chrysler products in my family have never lasted long (Course I own an Eclipse which is sort of a Chrysler product)

The Rav was way too small… not even in the running. Looked at the Sportage briefly as well, again a little on the small side. So we headed out to a local dealer that we had bought our Tiburon at (They sell Ford/Mazda/Isuzu and Hyundai) Drove all 3 and the choice was very EASY. The Sante Fe now has 24,000 maintenance free miles on it. The new Kia Sorento would be worth a look as well. I will say this, Hyundai/Kia (same company now) ARE NOTHING like to old Hyundai Excel crap in the late 80s/early 90s. You may suffer a hit in depreciation because they still have a lot of history to overcome. BUT, if you plan to be in it for a few years go look at one! Drive the Ford then drive the Hyundai, it's that easy. We ended up with a 2.7 V6, AWD, Anti-lock/Traction control braking and a 10 year 100,000 Bumper to Bumper warranty for 22k. The warranty really sold me, not having to work on my wife’s car ever is a nice thought. :) And of course, we put over 40k on our 2000 Tiburon in less than 2 years with no problems other than replacing the headlight bulbs.

If you can get over the god awful looks (my wife likes it ‘shrug’) it really is a nice small SUV with a lot of room. We get 20-22 MPG average. No rattles or wear after 1 year/24k. Has a small tow rating due to unibody, but it pulls a small Lowes load very easy. (Plans to pull a small pop-up camper in works) The Kia Sorento has a bit bigger engine and I think a full frame, but I hear it is more ‘truck’ like in it handling. I’m very happy with it; my only complaint might be the wish for a bit more grunt out of it. It is only rated at 170hp/180lbs. Actually Hyundai screwed up… when we purchase they wrongly advertised 180hp/180lbs, they owned up to the error and sent us an option for increase warranty or road side assistance. So now our drivetrain is good for 11 year/120k miles. :)

Anyway, this has been a paid advertisement for the Hyundai Motor Corporation… ;)

Check out http://www.i2k.com/~gopack/santafeforum for other happy (maybe unhappy…. Have never seen any though) owners.

i thought about how great a deal kia is, until i really looked over the warranty... lots of fine print. i bought a warranty through Cadillac for my dts, it was $1,000.. brought it to 100,000 miles and it covers basically everything.

how about a navigator coming off lease?

wow, I think a Navigator is a bit too pimpin for me. I'd have to get 23" chromes on that, which I don't have the money for now. hehe.
Anyway, the trailblazers are looking good, but I THINK the dealer I went to is trying to screw me royally, like jmidolo said might be true! They are telling me I need 72 mos to get 350 a month for the truck with 9k down... you do the math... if it's invoice is 28,500, take 3000 cash back, 9000 off for my money down, add in taxes and tags (say 2000) and you're at 18,500. Even at 6% (he said it would be no higher than 5.9) for 60 months you're talking $356. BUT, if you magically add back in 3000 and finance $21,500 at 6%, WALA, you need 72 months to get $357 a month!

If this is what the tool is trying to pull, I'm going to have a field day with him, and hurt his ear by hanging up so hard. Hopefully it's an honest mistake... riiiiiight. It's funny when dealers try to mess with me after I tell them I was a finance major and work with calculations each day.

Yea, dont' deal w/that "How much can you afford a monthy?" payment BS. Tell em..look..this is what the invoice is..take 3k off it for the GM incentive..and you got a deal. If not I'll just call so and so the next town over. Dont even bother talking payments till he says he'll do just that. I really LOVE buying new cars, cuz I love beating on loser sales guys that try to play games. I wish they had car agents, like they do real estate agents. I'd become one in a heartbeat...just bring people to look at cars..hehe..damn, maybe I'm onto something!! How would that be for a service, peole come to me to go look at cars with them..now if anyone of you do this and make moneny, I want a cut! :)