Comments on my choices for a small SUV

ez at nova

I hate rice
Well, the wife needs a new vehicle, so I'm pushing for something we can throw stuff form Home Depot in, and toss a kayak on the top and a bike on the back. But, she doesn't want a big lumbering truck, and we want to stay at or under about $26,000.
So, my choices so far are narrowed down to:

Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute
Saturn VUE (wonder when the 250 hp Redline VUE will be out?)
Jeep Liberty

All 3 have some cash incentives I think, and decent cargo room for the size, and especially the ford/mazda and saturn have pretty nice car like rides, and the jeep isn't awful. I'm shying away from the xterra because it's too truckish for her I think, and too much $$ with the nice S/C engine.

If I get to the dealer and the seems to want to cut a deal to get a Trailblazer or a full size Explorer, and with factory incentives get it to around 26k, I'd spring for that instead.
I'd love a nice highlander, murano, or outlander, but with awd and the good engine (highlander) they will be over my budget for sure.

Please share your comments and opinions on my choices, or other ideas!

Small SUV, good call. The girlfriend has an 02 Tahoe with kayak racks, and we can hardly get them up there. I'm a GM fan, and we tested the Trailblazer. It's AWEsome. Good mileage and almost perfect size. I bet you can get a stripped one in that pricerange, and with the 5-yr 0% loan you'd be stylin'.

For small ones, I've read bad things about the quality of the Ford. Tranny going south at 30k, spotty assembly, etc. I would imagine the Mazda would be similar.

The Liberties are cool looking, but they're gas-hogs and overpriced IMHO. VERY capable offroad though.

Have you considered any of the smaller hatchbacks, like a Vibe/Matrix, a PT cruiser, or a WRX wagon? They're all sporty, in that price range (or way less) and will save you a mint in gas. The Vibe I checked out had a VERY surprising amt. of room in back, and the back of the rear seats are all plastic coated, so it's a tough mat for any gear you can throw in. Check it out! With the 6-speed and VVTL-i in the GT, you'll be glad you did!

Sorry, just noticed you HAD a WRX, so I don't know if another one, in Wagon form, would be what you had in mind. Nice car! My friend just got one, and I got a spin in it this weekend. WOW, it's sweet. Good luck!

I doubt she will go for the renegade... doesn't the light bar inhibit carrying long cargo on top?

Originally posted by Weazel
Small SUV, good call. The girlfriend has an 02 Tahoe with kayak racks, and we can hardly get them up there. I'm a GM fan, and we tested the Trailblazer. It's AWEsome. Good mileage and almost perfect size. I bet you can get a stripped one in that pricerange, and with the 5-yr 0% loan you'd be stylin'.

For small ones, I've read bad things about the quality of the Ford. Tranny going south at 30k, spotty assembly, etc. I would imagine the Mazda would be similar.

The Liberties are cool looking, but they're gas-hogs and overpriced IMHO. VERY capable offroad though.

Have you considered any of the smaller hatchbacks, like a Vibe/Matrix, a PT cruiser, or a WRX wagon? They're all sporty, in that price range (or way less) and will save you a mint in gas. The Vibe I checked out had a VERY surprising amt. of room in back, and the back of the rear seats are all plastic coated, so it's a tough mat for any gear you can throw in. Check it out! With the 6-speed and VVTL-i in the GT, you'll be glad you did!

Sorry, just noticed you HAD a WRX, so I don't know if another one, in Wagon form, would be what you had in mind. Nice car! My friend just got one, and I got a spin in it this weekend. WOW, it's sweet. Good luck!

I'm just not a big fan of the wagon-like little cars like the vibe. If I'm going to get something to haul stuff, I like the idea of something that at least looks like a truck. I have a regular WRX, so I definitely don't need a wagon for her. And the rex gets about the same milage as the Liberty, hehe.

Thanks for the info!

Probably but the Renegade pkg has the near fender flares and it's not an expensive option, it's cheaper than a Limited.

This what we bought. Looked at the 3 and almost got the Tribute.. We wanted the ability to cayy 7 passengers and this is it. Fantastic suv.. we really love it..
Don't even think about the Vue untill you drive it. HORRIBLE.

Suzuki XL7 Limited..
zookone.jpg

My Gran Cherokee LTD took a lot of maintenance....Never again. The current JEEPS will likely be a high maintenance vehicle too. A bit hard on gas, but it would pull a mountain.

Escape didn't do that well on crash tests, if that means anything.

Consumer Reports showed the Saturn has a great frequency of repair record and reasonable resale. I'm looking at one of those for my next used vehicle. Its made in the USA too ;)

Originally posted by FlyinGN
This what we bought. Looked at the 3 and almost got the Tribute.. We wanted the ability to cayy 7 passengers and this is it. Fantastic suv.. we really love it..
Don't even think about the Vue untill you drive it. HORRIBLE.

Suzuki XL7 Limited..
zookone.jpg

Interesting suggestion that I hadn't considered much. Looking into it now, it seems that the really big selling point is the one for which you got it.... it seats 7 and isn't as bulky as the big-boys. I definitely don't need to seat 7 (only 2 98% of the time) so it seems that the Liberty is a better choice for any sort of off-road prowess, and the Escape is more refined on the road.

The JD Power ratings scared me a bit for the Suzi too.
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/suz...unds.n.specs.vdpheaderratingslinks..0.Suzuki*

Originally posted by choppers4life
i drove a nissan murano just the other day... it's a great truck..

Believe me, I want one SO bad, but I've come to grips with the reality that I can't get an AWD one for around 26k...they come to more like 31k. sigh.

Look for some cars that are 1 or 2 years old and still carry a factory warrenty. That way it has already taken the big hit in depriciation and has had the new car bugs worked out already. I'll never buy a brand new car.

The Eagle talon TSI I bought with 20k miles on it, got a 4 year 48k mile warrenty, and paid less than $10k out the door for a car that listed at $23k. I've owned it for less than 3 years and if you figure in what I paid and what I could sell it for, its cost me less than $1000 a year for this car.

I faced this same dilemma a while back and ended up with my current project: Buick V-6 turbo in an '83 Chevy Malibu wagon! I just finished the car a few months ago and I'm still working out bugs, but my wife LOVES the car and is after me to let her drive it all the time. Only drawback is no 4wd.

But seriously, if you don't want to do something like this, here are two more options to consider. I really wanted a WRX wagon, but the thing is just too damn small for my needs. But Subaru is about to come out with a turbo version of the Forester. That might be an option for you. Or what about the new Chrysler Pacifica? Sweet looks and plenty of room, but not 4wd (I think).

Also, I wouldn't discount the Mazda Tribute because the Ford Escape has quality problems. My other car is a '98 Mazda B3000 4x4 truck. I love it and it's been totally reliable. I was told when I bought it that all Mazda trucks are produced at Ford's top-quality truck plant in New Jersey, so they're better made than their Ford sisters. Also, I found the Mazda was much better optioned-out than the Ford Ranger, and for a little less money. The Tribute has also been very highly rated on handling (for an SUV).

I'd really like to see U.S. carmakers get back to making cool wagons. The Dodge Magnum concept is a great start, but too much of a gas guzzler.

You can get it in a 5 passenger (2 seat) configuration too. Take the JD power with a grain of salt. Look others places. Take a lot at eopinion.com. These are the actual owners.. And talk to a suzuki mechanic. They don't break.

http://www.epinions.com/auto_Make-New_Cars-Sport_Utility-Suzuki-2002

Believe me, I did my homework. You will be very happy with this suv.

Originally posted by ez at nova
Interesting suggestion that I hadn't considered much. Looking into it now, it seems that the really big selling point is the one for which you got it.... it seats 7 and isn't as bulky as the big-boys. I definitely don't need to seat 7 (only 2 98% of the time) so it seems that the Liberty is a better choice for any sort of off-road prowess, and the Escape is more refined on the road.

The JD Power ratings scared me a bit for the Suzi too.
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/suz...unds.n.specs.vdpheaderratingslinks..0.Suzuki*

I have a Toyota Highlander, great small size SUV. The Highlander is the same as the Lexus RX300. The V6 has plenty of power, the ride and handling are excellent.

Small S.U.V.

Well where to start? I just traded my Mazda Tribute in for a Murano. WOW! The Tribute is a nice truck but don't take it on any long trips. The fuel tank is too small and you will need gas before the wife has to pee. Second ,the seats are not too comfortable on long drives. All and all ,it is a good handling,well built truck. I had no problems mechanically. The Liberty is too small/pricey. The Saturn is too.......................UGLY! Good luck, Mike

Subaru forester is a good vehicle, well equipped is areound 28, but GM is putting all kinds of incentives on the Trailblazer (rebates, interest, etc) because they are hurting for sales. I have heard nightmares about the Escape/Tribute as far as reliability.

I know you said small, but someone mentioned the Tahoe. I've got an 02 LT and that thing is great. Got seating for 7, pulls a car and trailer no problem, is comfy for long rides, plenty of room to put **** when going on long trips and doesn't ride like a TRUCK. Although a lot of SUVs out there now ride like a car anyways.

I don't know what the Honda's are going for but I know they are reliable and resale is always good on Hondas. One thing I'd stay away from is Durangos and Explorers...both underpowered and gas hogs IMO. We too looked at the Trailblazers and for the LTZ loaded and all, it didn't cost us any more to step up to the Tahoe LT and it's NOT_THAT_MUCH bigger if you can believe it. Them Trailblazers and Explorers are really pretty big..put em next to an old school 88 blazer/explorer and you'd be amazed how they've grown over the years!! :)

Highlanders are pretty nice too...If you want AWD and an SUV type ride, I think the Outbacks are hard to beat!

Originally posted by jmidolo
I know you said small, but someone mentioned the Tahoe. I've got an 02 LT and that thing is great. Got seating for 7, pulls a car and trailer no problem, is comfy for long rides, plenty of room to put **** when going on long trips and doesn't ride like a TRUCK. Although a lot of SUVs out there now ride like a car anyways.

I don't know what the Honda's are going for but I know they are reliable and resale is always good on Hondas. One thing I'd stay away from is Durangos and Explorers...both underpowered and gas hogs IMO. We too looked at the Trailblazers and for the LTZ loaded and all, it didn't cost us any more to step up to the Tahoe LT and it's NOT_THAT_MUCH bigger if you can believe it. Them Trailblazers and Explorers are really pretty big..put em next to an old school 88 blazer/explorer and you'd be amazed how they've grown over the years!! :)

Highlanders are pretty nice too...If you want AWD and an SUV type ride, I think the Outbacks are hard to beat!

Thanks for the good thoughts...

Actually, right now, I've put in price and inventory requests with all the Chevy dealers around for 4WD LS Trailblazers with only the main option package. If my predicition math is correct, if I pay a few hundred over invoice, then get the $3,000 cash back they are offering, the cost will be around 25,500... which is only about 500 a grand more than I'd be paying for a well optioned liberty or escape, and that trailblazer has lots more room and a nice beefy engine.
If that falls through though, it's back to the Escape/Tribute or Liberty I think. I'll probably drive the VUE, but people have said they feel awful. I like the looks though.
I can't stand Honda trucks, and I just feel too young to be in an outback or any other subaru out right now, except for my WRX. The new Turbo Forester will be nice though. Anyway, I can imagine getting some drywall and 2x4s in the trailblazer, or even somehow in/on the liberty or escape, would be easier than on a wagon like the subaru.

This may or my not apply, but do you have a GM card?

When I got my Tahoe they were doing 2k cash back..so I got it for 3300 under invoice cause I had 1500 in GM savings and I told the salesguy I wanted it for 2k under invoice including the 2000 cash back. He didnt' even balk...said sure, come on in. Was the easiest transaction ever.

One thing you may want to look at too is the Bravada's. They are AWD, and are offeing or at least were...7yr warrantys cuz Olds is going out...might be worth a looksee.