Comments on my choices for a small SUV

Originally posted by jmidolo
Yea, dont' deal w/that "How much can you afford a monthy?" payment BS. Tell em..look..this is what the invoice is..take 3k off it for the GM incentive..and you got a deal.

Yeah, I should have done that, I'll just say that to him today (he doesn't come in until 3, ...argh)

I wish they had car agents, like they do real estate agents. I'd become one in a heartbeat...just bring people to look at cars..hehe..damn, maybe I'm onto something!! How would that be for a service, peole come to me to go look at cars with them..now if anyone of you do this and make moneny, I want a cut! :)

Hey now, you ARE on to something...I say we start up the company, I'm in!

I like the Trailblazer. Sure it may be worse emission-wise than the Liberty or the Escape, but it's much bigger and more powerful. I don't understand truly the purpose of the "cute utes", but that's just me. The Trailblazer is the smallest SUV I'd go with.

With that dealer "dealing" though, definitely avoid the payments per month stuff. It's cool that you figured out the financing so you won't get scammed on that end. If he can't do better than 5.9% I would say shop around. The banks are less to BS you, and will do backflips to loan you money (at least most).

I though GM was doing 0% financing? Or is that only for no-rebate and some kinda special terms.

Anyway, good luck. I gotta give my plug for the Trailblazer! I wish we had one now instead of the Tahoe.

Originally posted by Weazel
I like the Trailblazer. Sure it may be worse emission-wise than the Liberty or the Escape, but it's much bigger and more powerful.
I though GM was doing 0% financing? Or is that only for no-rebate and some kinda special terms.

Emissions Schmemissions. That's my last concern. No offense to the greenies out there, but, I bet that Trailblazer puts out a BIT less junk into the air than my catless GN!

As far as the 0%... I don't think they are throwing 0% at me along with the cash back. On top of that, even with spotless credit, I don't know if they'd give us the 0% since we're so young, just bought a house, and I have my WRX payments.

I vote for the Jeep. mazda parts are too $$ when it breaks(and it will) and if the saturn has the 3.0 in it run (very fast) away from it.

Later
Chris

OIIIIIIIO

I have more reservations about the Jeep's reliability than the Mazda/Ford's. Jeeps to NOT have a good quality history. Hopefully things have changed with the Liberty.
The Saturn 3.0 engine is a very nice engine. I'm surprised you would say to run from it. I elimintated it as one of my choices due to the horrid steering. I need to be connected to the vehicle I drive.

So, as of now, I have eliminated a new Trailblazer. Even with the good price I got it down to, the wife says it's too much $$. So, now we're checking out some that are coming off of lease, but it's hard to get a good price on them since the new ones get you $3,000 off right off the bat, wheras the used ones don't.

Today, we are going to drive an Escape, a Liberty, and another Trailblazer since the dealer I went to gave us a crappy 2 minute test drive.

I'm thinking a 2002 AWD v-6 Liberty or Escape/Tribute with around 20,000 miles off of a lease for around $17,500 would be a nice find. I need to find yellow for the Escape!

Get a Jeep Liberty.

The other choices shouldn't even be labeled as SUVs, they're all tall cars with AWD...

Hey,
I may be trading in my 2002 Envoy SLT 4x4 as early as Monday or Tuesday of this week. You can have it for 25k. That is what I'm getting in trade plus the tax savings. I can't offer you 0% interest of course but the damn thing stickered at at almost 37k. I am original owner, about 22k on truck, leather, Bose, air suspension, silver-platinum metallic color. (Best looking color IMHO) In Tucson, AZ. Drop me an email if interested.

Grant
grant_krueger@hotmail.com

I think it's the Liberty

Well, today we test drove two liberties, one tribute, and another trailblazer. The trailblazer got eliminated right then. It's jsut way to mushy in its pedal feel and suspension. It's on the side of cumbersome to manuver too.
It was a tough comparrision between the escape/tribute and the jeep. The tribute scooted away very nicely and it handeld VERY nicely...I guess because it's built like a car. But, the Jeep was much more attractive inside and out, and the engine has a much nicer tone. Both are very smooth and responsive, the jeep is just a little more sluggish. I like the idea of a real gear transfer lever like the jeep has (and a 4wd L) rather than a wimpy button you press.
So, I think it's now Mission Find Liberty.

Thanks for all of your words of wisdom

take from my experiance... DO NOT FINANCE THROUGH CHRYSLER FINANCIAL!!!!!!... i can send you copies of letters myself and other buyers sent to chrysler financial, i even have an email address for one of their attorneys... DO NOT DO IT!!!!

sure i'll email you web links and my own personal letter to the state attorney general and to chrysler financial attorney. i dont want to litter the board with their hassles..

I have not had any problems with the Jeeps. The older ones leak like a pig, but will go forever. The problems with the fords are I get in atleast 2 a day with check engine lights on. I have also seen numerous 3.0 with major problems with only 30-40k on them. Seeing all that is why I drive a Jeep as my daily driver.
Not trying to step on any toes if your a ford or saturn fan, just going by my experience.
HTH
Chris

One of the Jeep salesman, when I told him what I was comparing, told me that the escape/tributes ALL stall if they go a sustained 35 mph for a minute or more. I think this is a pretty big load of BS, but I have heard of a few stalling instances. Then again, this was the same salesman that tried to sell me a Liberty with aftermarket cheap ugly chrome wheels on it that made the thing vibrate at 50+ mph, because "they make it look real good". Yeah buddy...ok.