cleaning wheels

87TR_WE4$$$

I have A set of I believe one piece alloy wheels that are clear coated. I've done searched the board and need clarification on a few things. Problem is been polishin like crazy with Blue Magic and Mothers and barely seeing any progress. It seems to me the clear coat is holding me up. I have mag wheels etching cleaner may this be used to remove the clear? If not what exact product would work i.e.(paint thinner or lacquer thinner:confused: )brand and place of purchase would help.

Call me crazy but I'd go see the dealer-prep shops...ask the guys there that detail cars what they use...:D

You will need paint remover......There are the brush on type that are usually stronger and there are the spray can type. Spray it let it set for a few min, sometimes it usually works on contact. Rinse with water and repeat process if necessary.

Also make shure you wear gloves.

Why do you want to remove the clear?

Has it worn through or been eaten away from years of acid-based cleaners?

You won't believe how hard non-clearcoated alloys are to take care of...you'll want them re-cleared as soon as possible.

Accidently posted reply as a new thread guys. Kind of long to right all over again. Sorry, Thanks for your help and please check out my new thread in this forum uder subject reply

I tried some of that professional stregth auto stripper in a can it says for any paint and nothing happened.

HERE'S YOUR REPLY

Your reply:

"I took some info from a mech. friend about painting a set of diff. rims to scour them with steal wool first. Maybe from what you guys are about to learn me I shall not have applied this to my present topic rims. Anyways I decided to clean up said wheels and when the wool did not work I graduated on to a scotch brite pad. Well this seemed to remove the water stains,oxidation, and tarnish whatever it was gunking up my wheels. Sadly scotch brite pads are expensive and work is having to many borrowed. This way was just to time consuming. So I moved on to polish which I did try in the first place and seemed not to work at all. Now its working but talking much to long. I'm really stuck I believe these rims will look killer on my TR, but I may have allready messed this one up."