Voltmeter in place of dummy light

TurboHungry

First off you start with one of these from MCM Electronics
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-12395
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1376199651.531457.jpg

To mount it is simple, take off your trim around your speedo then remove the two small bolts holding in your dummy lights. Pick your spot and get this when you push it into one of those rectangle holes it fits snug. Just make sure the wire lays flat or that might have issues. Should look something like this.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1376199979.326277.jpg

Now for wiring I just used what was already at the gauges and soldered the leads onto where the low fuel indicator would get + and -
I don't have any pics for that part sorry just the wires running through.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1376200139.674968.jpg

Next the longest part. The plastic that it must shine through is colored red yellow or orange depending on which hole you use. Some paint or lacquer thinner will take that off, took a little time but it works. Then to get the black lettering off you must very carefully with a sharp razor blade lift the black print off the clear plastic. After that is done a little plastic cleaner/polish will help if you scratched it. Then take some tint, I used the static cling 5% tint and cut to size and place on the back
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1376200450.319947.jpg

Then re assemble and it should look factory when the key is off
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1376201014.998988.jpg

Then when the key is on you get
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1376200899.277018.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1376200925.242756.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1376200946.730267.jpg

You can see how clear it is at night but it is not bright to where it lights anything up. Some individuals have brought up the possibilities of doing the same with the other gauges we use like oil pressure, water temp, boost and so on. I would like to do that but time wise might be awhile so please feel free to take that how to if you get it done first.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Man that is slick I really like it!!!!

Def doing this some day when I get the time. With my digital dash it will look great. Nice write up.

From my iPhone

Ordered mine and look forward to installing! Thanks for the great idea and informative write-up!

Just finished my install today and wanted to post a pic. Even though it doesnt really look like it in the pic, the display is pretty dim through the 5% tint so I think Im going to swap it out with some 15 or 20%. Pretty cool and thanks again for the post and idea!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 823
Just looking through all the pics how did you get your spedo to glow bright blue like that ?

Great job on the red I like it.
As for the LED speedo backlight it is actually just 2 LEDs with a resistor soldered onto the back panel with the LEDs inside and pointed to provide the most light. My HVAC controls as well as my VDO boost gauge also have the same backlighting. I'm not against what they sell as LED bulb replacements, they work quite well. I just happen to have more time than money so I do most things myself if possible.

Hola.

Did the part at MCM change? The panel meter in your pick has the PCB and display as the same size. However, the part at MCM has the PCB as being slightly larger than the display:
Dimensions:
  • PCB: 30mm x 20mm
  • Display: 23mm x 14mm
21-12395.jpg

Jsta6 it looks like they did change size but I know this one
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-12400
Was also the same size but they were out when I bought mine. The 3 wire is a good idea because you can get a reading straight off the battery. I have also looked at the Hossen so if you go that route let us know how well it works and pics would be good too.

Can someone provide exact dimensions of the cavity?
If I get some spare time over the winter I'll look at doing up a boost gauge...

Dave, do you have a good circuit for ohms to voltage or are you thinking volts-to-volts using a transponder (or MAP)?

I need to install a razors alky kit on my car soon so I'll try and get you some measurements.