Check out what I seen today and see if you can figure out what it is?? **Pics**

>>

Attachments

• Stagemotorsmall5.JPG
    Stagemotorsmall5.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 738
Dave,

I Agree, why not spring for an Eagle crank or even a CAT piece. FWIW, the cylinder walls should be nice and thick since it's a 4.1 liter block and appears to be bored 3.800".

Neal

turbodave231 said:
Your buddy should ditch the cast crank.....only weak link in the bottom end left.

A good crank would be an excellent idea.
I can remember someone running a stock crank in a stage 2 block and destroying the block several years back. Anybody remember who that was?

I would also ditch some of the main stud fasteners, look like grade 8 stuff. The rear cap looks like grade 8 nuts and washers and the front cap look like grade 8 washers. The front washers look awfully close to the counter weight.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody brought up the stock "wobble" crank :biggrin: Then again Roy Garica ran.., well nevermind! :wink:

I have had my hands on one about 2 years back,had the head bolts go through the deck and two bolt mains every thing else was the same. rumor was that they were from down under Aussie stuff

Is there enough meat around the cylinders to have it drilled out for the extra two bolts per cylinder?

There is not enough room for the extra head bolt holes. This is a prototype stage 1. When I worked for the Conleys I examined one very closely against a production 4.1 and a 109. The biggest difference between this and a 109 is that thick main webbing. Also, for some reason it was thought to be cast from a higher nickel iron. The block in the picture was probably cast as a two bolt main originally, and was cut for the center caps later. Notice the pipe extension for the oil pickup. The original pickup flange probably had to be machined out to fit those splayed caps. If you ask me this is what a TR should have had stock. They should have left that paper thin main webbing for N/A motors. They should let it fly in TSM, there are no extra head bolt holes and no power 6 logo. :wink:

What stage block?

Crewcheif, you are right Sir, you discribed this block perfectly, even to the 4 bolt caps looking like they were added after the fact. You even guessed right about the boss for the oil pickup being cut down for the splayed caps, as far as all the guys dogging the stock crank, like Brick metioned before, Roy Garcia has gone Low thirteen's with one so my 109 replacement should be fine. :wink: Yes, i'm waiting for the ARP stud's to come with all the right washers & nut's so don't worry, btw the pistons cost more than what the block did, and when champion comes out with the stage block's then i'll put a steel crank in one of those. Also, for the experts LOL!!! about the overkill sealer on the rear main, my sled doesn't leak a drop, might look like crap, but it's been working like a charm. :cool:

TurboT231 said:
Crewcheif, you are right Sir, you discribed this block perfectly, even to the 4 bolt caps looking like they were added after the fact. You even guessed right about the boss for the oil pickup being cut down for the splayed caps, as far as all the guys dogging the stock crank, like Brick metioned before, Roy Garcia has gone Low thirteen's with one so my 109 replacement should be fine. :wink: Yes, i'm waiting for the ARP stud's to come with all the right washers & nut's so don't worry, btw the pistons cost more than what the block did, and when champion comes out with the stage block's then i'll put a steel crank in one of those. Also, for the experts LOL!!! about the overkill sealer on the rear main, my sled doesn't leak a drop, might look like crap, but it's been working like a charm. :cool:

Did you have to inlarge the hole where the oil pickup nests into the block ?

Oil pick-up?

Phatman said:
Yea....I know SP "enlarge", hey it was early.
No Mike, just threaded it for an extention, then cut a stock pick-up and had it welded up to fit. I did have to trim a little of the sharp corner on the cap, just a little. And Yes Archie the coolant holes are just like the stage blocks but it's really a #484 4.1 TSM legal plane Jane production block. ;) :biggrin: .

I'm going to have to go look now... :wink:

I thought it looked smaller than my 109, but god didn't make everyone the same.

my stock hotair motor said 3.8 and 4.1 on the bottom of the block. here are some pics of mine for comparison.
ill get some better pics and the casting #'s and pics where it says 3.8 and 4.1
on it for better comparison.

Attachments

• 000_0631.jpg
    000_0631.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 000_0632.jpg
    000_0632.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 000_0635.jpg
    000_0635.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 140