Catalytic converter needed or not by certified mechanic?

Ssg Ken

It has been suggested to me that I ask my licensed and certified mechanic to put no cats in my 87 GN. Mechanic says post 76 cars that had one must be replaced with another cat.

He says it would smell like raw gasoline also and I would not like the car while running.

Is he selling me something I do not need?

It is against federal law to tamper with or disable factory emissions systems.

Now if the vehicle comes in with just a downpipe and test pipe on it....he won't have to touch any of the factory emissions equipment, and he'll be free to do what you want from the "cat" back.

thank you. This is all I needed to know

I am putting in a cam with a little more on the exhaust side to give a little more bump with the freer flowing pipes. It will send out a little more raw gas.

Yes, the gas smell is there and every car needs a certain amount of backpressue. Now the gas smell is just that, No cat,then gas doesn't get burned up. As for the car running different, yes it will, 50/50. Some cars are ok with it, some will give you problems. When it comes to True racing, draging out your car to the max, WOT ALL DAY, killing your motor racing, etc. Then you want the lowest back pressure possible. When it comes to Modern street muscle, it's different. Everything works a certain way but it's a fine line between Race and Street/Stripe. I would Get the dynomax supercat. I have read up and with todays Cats, they make them pretty hi flowing now,tougher also. If you want, you can have an electric cutout installed before the cat. It will give you Race exhaust at the flip of a switch, then when your done flip it off and go back to stock.

It's big fines to be caught with a hollowed out cat or a test pipe(no cat) Now 98% of the time you wont even get caught or get that look at that. Just that 2% if they do, they will make an example out of you.

They do sell a lookalike Cat DSM Intercooler Piping Pretty much is a Test pipe only stock looking. I would only get if Drag striped only.:rolleyes:

I would kept the cat, just get a HI flow unit. IMO. :cool:

It has been suggested to me that I ask my licensed and certified mechanic to put no cats in my 87 GN. Mechanic says post 76 cars that had one must be replaced with another cat.

He says it would smell like raw gasoline also and I would not like the car while running.

Is he selling me something I do not need?

Illegal to do.

The federal tampering prohibition is contained in section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act (Act), 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3). Section 203(a)(3)(A) of the Act prohibits any person from removing or rendering inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in any motor vehicle in compliance with regulations under Title II of the Act (i.e., regulations requiring certification that vehicles meet federal emissions standards). The maximum civil penalty for a violation of this section by a manufacturer or dealer is $25,000; for any other person, $2,500.

Now if the vehicle comes in with just a downpipe and test pipe on it....he won't have to touch any of the factory emissions equipment, and he'll be free to do what you want from the "cat" back.

In NJ, it doesnt matter what it comes in with. If it was designed to use a cat, it needs one.

I'm not as versed as Joe on the clean air act, but I am pretty certain, the tech who see's it missing and looks the other way is just as guilty as the guy who hollows it out.

BTW: The exhaust *IS* emissions control equipment.

every car needs a certain amount of backpressue.
Are you shot or something? High performance cars do not need back pressure unless their owners want their cars to make less power. The last thing you want is extra back pressure with a turbo engine.