cars.com vs. autotrader.com to sell a non turbo car

cam69ss

Turbo Member
Didn't know where to post this so I figured this would be OK.

I am trying to sell a non turbo buick and I want to know if any of you have pros and cons for these sites or which one is better with more traffic.
I am leaning towards using autotrader.com

Thanks in advance

Reply and Question

Greetings,

As a seller I'd personally use eBay-- I think the other sites are a waste of time for the most part. Particularly weak on search capabilities-- i.e. 2 door 4 door, model, then your zip code. What's up with that? I think with Cars.com, you can't even put "moonroof" or "turbo" or "V8" as a search criteria, which is almost criminal. Definitely oriented toward new bland cars, not special interest. Plus average prices are higher on the bay, more opportunity for exposure, detailed pictures, and, more likely than not, a serious BUYER at the end of it all. But Autotrader is definitely more refined than Cars.com, however IMHO.

Second-- is your L89 Camaro Convertible a real one? I know of only a few aluminum head 396-375, one restored by Roger Gibson in Kelso MO back in 1990 and sold to Kevin Suydam. Quite a car if it's the real deal (even if not!) :biggrin:

Doug

Where to sell?

Cars.com, autotrader.com, and Ebay all have plusses. Also there is Collectorcartrader.com - they have a package that includes Chevy or OldCar magazine exposure I think. Deals on Wheels might be a possiblility. There may be others.

Check your area for a local edition of a similar type auto resale shopper stopper type paper or magazine. I am convinced that the best results for collector cars comes from advertizing that can reach the most people locally - the perspective buyer can visit/inspect the vehicle(tangible)/reach the seller more easily (not so tangilble).

If you're committed to sell give Ebay a try. It doesn't cost anything to set up a sellers account or find out all the costs and options.

Good luck.