Car will shut off when i touch the coil pack?

turbo1962

car hasn't bee running very good so i thought i would get good rubber handle needle nose and take each wire to see if any make a difference. First one i touch kills the motor just like you turn the key off. so i started it back up sure enough you touch the wire to pull it off car shut off??? Bad ground?

Just for grins, fire the car up at night and see if you see any cool looking blue corona anywhere around the coil pack, wires, or plug boots

when you touch the plug wire at the coil with the needle nose pliers with engine running it will shut off. I checked for sparking in dark but could not see anything. I have the bolts tight. never seen anything like this before.

Well there’s your issues some new wires should straighten you right up

Mine did the same thing, I wiggled the harness connector to the module and snugged up the little bolt right in the center of the connector, hasn't acted up since.

A bit of sick, early Am humor::smuggrin:
Unplug a wire at the coil, start the engine, stick your finger on the tower, and see if the engine quits. If your pacemaker skips pulses, your fillings taste weird, you hear music, and the engine stays running, then you know it's the wire....:jawdrop:
Then, clean all electrical connections, and retest. If the coil mounts are powder coated, clean the contact points off, use star washers. I use a separate grnd wire directly to the engine, even w/ the clean bolts. Braided grnd on the firewall still there?

MERRY CHRISTMAS, ALL!

Unplug a wire at the coil, start the engine, stick your finger on the tower, and see if the engine quits. If your pacemaker skips pulses, your fillings taste weird, you hear music, and the engine stays running, then you know it's the wire....:jawdrop:
Then, clean all electrical connections, and retest. If the coil mounts are powder coated, clean the contact points off, use star washers. I use a separate grnd wire directly to the engine, even w/ the clean bolts. Braided grnd on the firewall still there?

MERRY CHRISTMAS, ALL!
Been there! Done that!

:jawdrop:

Also, concerning the bolt that holds the wiring plug to the ign module. After it bottoms out, back it off 1/8~1/4 turn. That way the spring loaded connections aren't stressed. That will allow the connections to all find their happy place but not be able to come unplugged.

Also, concerning the bolt that holds the wiring plug to the ign module. After it bottoms out, back it off 1/8~1/4 turn. That way the spring loaded connections aren't stressed. That will allow the connections to all find their happy place but not be able to come unplugged.
Thanks

MERRY CHRISTMAS, ALL!

I did that with a Vertex magneto - once! Just rotating it by hand with a finger in one of the plug sockets will definitely get your attention.