Car sounds like a trash can full of metal

green95ss

Poor car collector
Hi,

I just bought my 86 GN T-top, and the car doesn't rattle inside much at all, but when I drive over large potholes and very uneven pavement, the car sonds like a piece of crap and bounces all over the place. The shocks do not leak, but they are the crappy KYB's, so I know that's not the best setup. It feels like the car's suspension is not connected to the body.

What can I do to tighten up the whole car? I know that something has to be done with the following:
Some missing body bushings
Tighter springs
Air bags in rear
Control arm bushings

Thanks,

Guhan
1986 GN, T-top, 100K on body, rebuilt engine and tranny, 009's, 2800 stall, o-ringed heads, arp studs and billet main caps, studded heads, .478" lift cam, flowmaster exhaust, Poston headers & DP, and more and more that I am learning.

i would get yourself all the body braces for the car to start with. sounds like my car, control arm bushings ripped to shreads . time to go through it all. thats what im doing in a few weeks. i see your in new jersey, where at. :D

I second the bushings.. Check out HRPARTSNSTUFF.COM.. they sell a kit..PAIN IN THE RUMP TO PUT IN but may be worth while..

That's some great advice above!:)

Get some bushings in there and it will help. If you get Polyuerathane make sure you get greasable ones so they don't squeek or bind:)

Thanks

Thanks for the hints guys! I bought the following so far, but have not installed them yet:

fender braces
jounce bars

I am also considering the x-braces from some dude on ebay who makes them himself. $50, but they look like a decent product. Does anyone have any experience with different brands of these?

Hey turbot2112, I'm in Morris Plains, about 30-40 minutes from you. If you're going to be doing any mods to your car or the suspension work yourself, I'd love to help to get some experience wrenching on these cars. Also, are you a Rush fan (the 2112 in your ID led me to that)?

Let me know,

Guhan

im not going to be doing the work because i dont really want to take on a job that size. i got a really good deal from someone in ridgewood on the labor and he has a good reputation.it will work out nice. i get all the parts for the front end and rear and hes charging me 450.00. oh yea, im a big rush fan.:D

Rattles can come from all over the place on our g-bodies. Do all the frame bracing you can, replace bushings (frame and susp.), and you'll probably still have rattles. Other problem areas are the doors and dash. The plastic cover plate on top of the dash (covering the dash speakers) always cracks and then flaps around over every bump, causing a racket. The windows and doors eventually get loose, too -- you'll have to pull the door panels, readjust and tighten everything, replace gaskets felt seals to fix this. Oh, and don't forget the center brace for the hood on top of the firewall -- it will squeek madly unless you keep it greased!

Heres a good tip.......... MOVE OUT OF JERSEY ! anyway things are bad here in N.Y too , if some of these guys could see these roads here they,d never take out their cars . Ive just given up and drive the balls out of it regardless , youll notice my sigs last few lines :p

With the weather that we've been having--trust me, I've been thinking about it!

Are the body bushings still available from GM?

Thanks,

Guhan