Can you tell me your feelings on 1996 Impala SS

ncmalko1

#1 Eagles fan
Are they pieces of crap? Would I spend a million bucks, like my GN, getting it running? My neighbor has one for sale with 55,000 miles for $8000. There are sooo many smart people on this board and I really am a beginner when it comes to cars. Thanks guys!

Are they pieces of crap? Would I spend a million bucks, like my GN, getting it running? My neighbor has one for sale with 55,000 miles for $8000. There are sooo many smart people on this board and I really am a beginner when it comes to cars. Thanks guys!
They are fairly desireable cars. If the car has a clean title and the body is nice $8k is a good deal. Maybe he will take less. Nice car to transplant an LC2/200 4-R in. With the LT1 it will no have anywhere near the potential performance the LC2 would give it.

kirban 2 cents worth

Of the 3 years 1996 is the best (had console) don't think earlier years did. .....price seems fair for low miles as long as its straight not been under water etc...

They were the hot ticket years ago but have since dropped since so many newer 4 door sedans have been produced 300C for example......

Keep it stock tough to make virtually a 4,000 lb car quick without spending big bucks a great road cruiser I am sure for a family of 5....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Pretty good "cruiser" on the Hwy vehicle has pretty decent power for a bigger car.

One of our salesmen used one up till about 150k miles on the road and he really liked it.

my 96 SS has just hit 100k miles with no problems or incidents so far. IF the maintenance is up to date, the car should run for a long time as long as there is no hidden funny stuff the owner is keeping from you.

The LT1 tune-up is very pricey, and is supposed to be done at 100K miles, I had mine done at 94K.

Black would be the most popular color. Burgandy seems to be the least desirable color, for resale value.

Interior parts are very expensive, but if the interior is nice already, it will not be a problem for you.

Also, verify if the car is a real Impala SS, not a Caprice cloned to be an Impala SS.

This web-site is just such an awesome community. I really appreciate the advice. I even got input from Mr. Kirban. WOW! Now it's time to call Nick Micale up and see if he can go over it.

This web-site is just such an awesome community. I really appreciate the advice. I even got input from Mr. Kirban. WOW! Now it's time to call Nick Micale up and see if he can go over it.

Yes it is true! Dennis is "THE MAN" but hey...

We aren't chopped liver LOL:biggrin: :p :p

They can be made fast. You can go mid 13's with just bolt ons. My Roadmaster has run low 12's on a 100 shot, letting off at the 1000' because of running out of fuel pump. I have $1500 in mods.
All three years have the console, 96 was the only year for floor shift. 96 also got a tach.
I had a 96 afew years ago. I loved that car.

very nice cars,here is one i own that runs 11's
DSCF0003-1.jpg

DSCF0001-1.jpg

They can be made fast. You can go mid 13's with just bolt ons. My Roadmaster has run low 12's on a 100 shot, letting off at the 1000' because of running out of fuel pump. I have $1500 in mods.
All three years have the console, 96 was the only year for floor shift. 96 also got a tach.
I had a 96 afew years ago. I loved that car.

kirban 2 cents worth

I knew something was different on the 1996 models versus the 1994-95 models.
I think the rare color was that green/blue like color they had....my neighbor had one....not a great choice since he lived across the street for me when we usually had 5-6 Turbo Regals around....he only tried to race me a few times on the highway....

Huge car to keep waxed/polished/clay .......

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Only had one that I bought to resell a low mileage 1996 model think it had 17,000 miles on it.

That is good news!:smile:

My cousin bought one new and I loved it, nice cruiser and driver.

The only downside with LT engines is the opti-spark distributor can be problematic, but there are decent replacement parts available.

Bring it by for a "test drive"!:biggrin:

Great cars. I loved my brother's '96. I have a '96 Roadmaster Wagon for my daily driver. 152,000 miles and counting. No problems really, just normal maintinence like any other vehicle.

I also had a black 96... great car, tons of room, and a huge trunk. Good power for a huge car. 1996 is indeed the most desirable because of the floor shifter and tachometer, as well as the last year made. They only made three colors, referred to by the SS guys as I remember

Black (Duh!)
DGGM (DarkGreen Grey Metallic)
DCM (Dark Cherry Metallic)

Agree on the interior... the factory leather (from what I heard) is subject to rapid wear, and not sure what is available in the aftermarket or from the factory.
The Opti-spark, as mentioned is the only other issue. Think about all the LT1 cop cars that were made, and were driven hard, then continue to serve as taxi's for years. They hold up well.

they are the last "real" car built in detroit (well, Texas, actually) using old school tech- 2 valve pushrod V8 in a full framed rwd car with a solid live axle rear end. the same chassis was used from 77-96, and it was pretty much the same as the 73-77 Chevelle/Monte Carlo chassis. they are really solid and reliable cars- and they scored the best out of all the car makers in the world on the government crash tests of the day, if that really matters to you. service parts are dirt cheap, and the optispark ignition in the B bodies was upgraded compared to the early Vette and F body units so that's really not an issue in those cars.
i had a 94 Caprice 9C1 (cop car) that i parted out with 227,000 miles showing. the tie rods were worn out and the tranny was toast, but it was a damn good car that got 18mpg no matter how i drove it and would pull really hard up to the 146mph fuel cutoff. and it wasn't even scary going that fast. i've still got the motor, and will find a good home for it some day.
the 94 Impala SS is one of my "gonna get one some day" cars- i like the 94's becasue they still have the old OBD1 computer and a slightly better ABS system than the 95 and 96 models, plus i like the looks of the rear view mirrors better than the later cars. it's easy enough to add the floor shift and analog gauge cluster from a 96 Imp SS or Camaro Z/28 from around that vintage, and they aren't seen as being as desirable as the 96 cars so they are cheaper.

I had a black 96. I loved it. Great highway ride and handled pretty good for such a big car. Could fit 5 comfy + 3 bodies in the trunk. I put 90K on it as a daily driver. Ran good in the snow with Blizak snow tires. Only problems I had were drivers seat started to show wear as mentioned & the odometer light faded. You could still read it but it was very light. Overall I loved it. By NADA web site $8,000 is a good deal.
Good luck.

96 impala ss

IMO putting a lc2/200 in such a heavy car would be a waste of time. Keep the LC2 in the beautiful regal. The LT1 is the nearest gm v8 to the lc2 v6 and can be very fast. Done right an LT1 can be a major blast to drive with reliability. Remember these cars are super heavy. Here are some links for the impala ss:

1996 Chevy Impala SS - Feature - GM High-Tech Performance

1996 Chevy Impala SS - Twin-Turbo Pro Street Impala - Super Chevy Magazine

YouTube - Worlds Fastest naturaly aspirated Impala SS

Feature on Blackout Fullsize Racing

Ed Runnion's 96 Chevy Impala SS autocrossing at the ISSCA Nationals 2008, external view on Vimeo

Impala SS - Two of the fastest street legal, full - StreetFire.net - Truveo Video Search

very nice cars,here is one i own that runs 11's
DSCF0003-1.jpg

DSCF0001-1.jpg

Very nice looking car by the way!

I recall a GMHTP drag test 94 vs 95 vs 96 based on the rumour that the 94 was noticeably faster than the other 2 years. They tested all and it was true-- the 94 was consistently fastest in quarter mile.

Ravi

impy

Ahhh, the buick leir seigler style leather looks good.

I just noticed that you had an import sitting in your driveway behind the impala :biggrin: