Can you "choke" a turbo ?

Dwayne

Narrow A$$ Racing
Dealing with a car that has a 4" inlet on the turbo, it gets reduced to 3" right at the compressor opening so his tubing will match the MAF......having trouble getting over 12lbs while testing a new combo before he goes MAFless .......are we choking it ?

I dont think so. I know a guy with the same combo and his spools fine. Does the car have a cat on it?

no cat.......the turbo came off a car with an external gate now it has a stock type actuator.....he had to fab a bracket to get the actuator to clear the compressor housing.......puck may be mis-aligned........lot of little things to check.......I'm open to any and all suggestions.

no cat.......the turbo came off a car with an external gate now it has a stock type actuator.....he had to fab a bracket to get the actuator to clear the compressor housing.......puck may be mis-aligned........lot of little things to check.......I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I can't find the link, but RJC sells a plate to go between the downpipe and exhaust housing to fix that puck sealing issue. ;)

Most turbo's that have been run with an external gate have the hole enlarged way to big to allow normal puck coverage.

If your under 500hp the stock MAF isnt choking much at all. Someone recently trapped in the mid 130's with one. There is a slight increase in spoolup and slightly lower charge air temps when the engine is making some power by going MAFless.

some of my old Drawthru carbed turbo systems had no wastegate at all,

but used a valve in front of the turbo inlet to "choke" the turbo and control boost.

super primative, but works well enough.

:biggrin:A.j.

A stock MAF'd car recently trapped 138mph.

The wastegate puck was smaller than the opening in the turbo. Copper gasket made to match downpipe puck, car is "Awake" now. :cool: