Can anyone explain how to understand flow bench readings??

TurboLesabre

I'm thinking about getting ported heads & I can't find an article on how to read and understand the measurements reported by a flow bench done on ported cylinder heads. Anyone know of a good article that puts it in layman's terms or can anyone here explain what the numbers and decimals mean and what makes a reading good or bad? Thanks!

Reading the flow numbers from a flow bench can be VERY misleading. The higher the numbers, the better the head flows. BUT!!!! look very carefully at the flow numbers from .250"-.400" lift to get a real look at how they will work on the engine. If you use data from the same flow bench, then you can easily compare two sets of heads. Flow benches do not show all the gains in a turbo head, either. There is alot of power to be had in port volume, as long as the low lift flow numbers are not adversly effected. There are many web sites out there that will give you HOURS and HOURS of mind numbing reading about flow numbers. My best advice is to purchase a set of heads from a reputable head porter with turbo Buick experience. We do not race a flow bench OR a dyno. They are just tools to help develop horsepower. Peak flow numbers that many advertise are irrelevent if they advertise flow numbers at .700" valve lift, if your cam only opens the valve .497". Don't get caught up in flow bench numbers, or dyno numbers. Track results are FAR better than a machines calculation or measurement

i just learned about that in class today in my airflow class. my teacher told me that the cam lift is at .200-400" alot longer than it is at peak lift and that peak lift flow numbers are not necessarily the most important flow numbers! cool stuff!

Average flow is what matters for the most part. But a flow bench cant really give you an idea what the velocity is. You can grab a weld stick, energize a welder and touch it to a ball bearing. The ball bearing welds itself to the stick and now you can use this as a tool for finding dead or slow areas in the runner. You move the ball around in different areas of the runner and see if the flow goes up or down. If flow goes up when you block a given area, then that area is dead and not contributing to flow very well, and it can give you an idea of what to do, where, and why. Reher Morrison builds pro-stock engines and has for many years. I was reading an article from them, and he was talking about 2 different sets of pro stock heads that flowed the same numbers, end to end...get it? from .100 all the way up to an inch of lift, they flowed basically the same. But one set made 150hp more than the other set.
What matters the most when porting heads, is to match peak port velocity with peak torque rpm. If a port is really big, then when the intake valve cracks open and the piston starts to draw down, the column of air will be really slow to accelerate. Even when the piston is halfway down and at its highest speed, it still cant accelerate that air column very fast. Then after bottom dead center when the piston starts heading back up, the charge has so little inertia that it stops flat and stops filling the cylinder. With a smaller runner, the intake valve cracks open, the piston starts drawing down, and the air column accelerates very quickly. The speed of the column matches the speed of the piston in no time. Then after bottom dead center, and the piston starts charging back up, guess what? That charge of air is STILL cramming into the cylinder because it has so much inertia. Kinetic energy packing air into the cylinders increases with the square of it's velocity. And the same holds true on a turbo motor.
You choose where you want your torque to peak and then do the math to figure out what the cross sectional area needs to be in order to reach peak velocity at that given rpm. But a pretty small runner can peak torque at a pretty high rpm. You can flow alot more air through a small port than people think. The key is to gain flow from everything EXCEPT enlarging the runner. Enlarging it is a last resort, reserved for when optimizing port design no longer gains you anything in the rpm range you're playing at. And there are many many ways to do it, but with 99% of backyard porters, enlarging the runners is the FIRST thing and usually only thing they do.

thats some good reading! ive always heard the most power is gained by workin the throat right behind the valve seat and i guess its the bowl area around the valve guide. is this correct?

On stock Buick heads bowl porting gets you about 75% of the flow gain of a full port job, but only costs about 20-25% of what a full port job costs, so definitely the best bang for the buck. Johnny, I'm in Laurel just 30 miles from you. We get together the first Tuesday of each month at the North Laurel Pizza Hut on Rt 1 at 7 pm to bench race and swill down pizza for an hour or four - come down and visit next month (or sooner :)).

id like to go to one of those meets but im in michigan for school right now so its gonna be awhile. if u guys meet the first week of january i may be able to attend:smile: if not then, it may be until next summer.