Cam vs Converter

y26

Ok quick question, I looking into purchasing the 204/214 cam. I wanted to run a 2800 stall converter.. Would it be better to run stock????

Your stall should be 3000 to 3300 for your combo. Your choice
of non-lock up or lock up.
:)

Originally posted by y26
Ok quick question, I looking into purchasing the 204/214 cam. I wanted to run a 2800 stall converter.. Would it be better to run stock????

You gonna stay with the stock turbo?.
Might look ahead for where the project is going.

Having a lil lose converter is better then too tight, IMO.
From a number of rides and driving a fair number of cars, I really doubt 3,200 to 3,400 would actually hurt you. Might be hard on the tires thou with a stock turbo. Since you'll really be into boost as you reach the stall of the converter. Rather then just starting to build boost at the same point.

a properly matched converter is prolly the single best improvement you can make on a turbo car......if you stick with a 12" (stock) converter, then 3,000 is about max stall....the 9.5" can stall wherever you want

with a good converter, stall up to 3600 or so is transparent when driving the car on the street.....but, when you get serious about going fast from a stop, you will definitely notice the difference...as Bruce said, you better have sticky tires or all you'll have is smoke.....and worn out tires

spend your $$ on a good converter long before a cam.......

Originally posted by Turbosix6
Use a yank 3200 extreme converter - the thing is awesome.
www.converter.cc

I got to drive the 10" version with 3,400, with a 52 turbo, 206/206 THDP, 50s etc.
Really was nice.

But the 911 with a 60 (009s and was short on injector) and 4,500 stall while souding alot more radical, was really streetable.

Yes, thou, the 32 with a stocker sounds like more thena little fun.

Ok i have a 2800 right now, and want to use it. So will it work well with that cam???

sure, but these engines are not "cammy".....even what we call "big" duration cams are teeny compared to the V8 world

you want to match your converter to your turbo....don't worry about the caM

Ok, So if i'm gonna run 2800 with a stock turbo then i should be all set right???

SO should i ditch the cam thing and just go stock????

You probably wanna know my long term goal. Well i just like a streetable daily driver that i can have some fun, I do not see my self getting a bigger turbo anythime now since my motor is apart and going through a rebuild. So i'm staying with the stock turbo at least for another year or 2 or when it breaks.. Car is apart right now so i wanna take the oppurtunity to do it if i should... I know running the right combo on these cars a critical so i value your opinion??

So ditch the cam?????

Thanks

if the engine is apart then go ahead and stick a cam in it-

i know a few people here in kc with cams that size and larger and it makes the car pull harder in the top end (seat of the pants and track times)

what is the lobe seperation of that 204/214?

the higher the lobe seperation, the more vacuum you will have at idle

does your car have vacuum brakes?

if it was me, its a toss up between that 204/214 and a 212/212 with 112 lobe seperation-

a buddy of mine has that 212/212 with a STOCK STALL D5 and a te44- spools ok once eric marshall got the chip perfected..

HTH

if you have a good stock cam, stick with that

you won't gain anything but trouble unless you are willing to go with a good, billet roller

and until you are running low 11's, anything else is just bs

Yea, unless you wanna run in the 10's I would go with the stock spec cam - you just cant beat the driveability & power it has for what it is.

High 10's can be run with the stock cam with the right size tire.:)

red saw this thread and sent me this in an IM:

I know of 2 people who have switched from billet rollers to the 204-214 ..I wont argue the case but I recomend the 204-214 to anyone from stock to where I'm at even tho I may be stepping up soon to 214-224 even tho Im sure I could break the 9's with it Im looking for more power up in the 6000+ rpm range were the 204-214 starts to come off its power band

204-214 works great with vacum brakes and driveability is like stock but much more pull to it mine holds same vacum the stock cam did and I have gotten 26-27 mpg on the highway.