cam sensor gear wear

NC87GN

johnny boost
Removed my cam sensor gear last night and noticed more than normal wear on the gear. I did put a needle bearing to keep cam sensor end play under control thinking this was my problem. I run an ATR roller cam (H series I think?). I do not want to put the cam sensor back in until I address this problem. I run a torrington bearing and camshaft endplay is about .005"-.007".

I have heard of some people going with a bronze type cam sensor gear. Some mention to shim the camshaft gear to get peoper alignment. Motor is rebuilt, 20 psi hot, pump clearance endplay around .002".

Has anyone ever experienced this same condtion..? TIA

Mike Banas
87GN

Same thing happened to me.

I've heard of this also. I run a ductile roller and people have said to go to a bronze gear. I haven't done this yet but I have gone through two regular cam sensor gears. They wear out fast. I think the bronze is softer and will mesh better.

A little update for those running roller cams.. There IS a bronze gear you can purchase to run with a roller cam setup. I called TA and purchased the bronze gear for a 350 MSD which, they claim, will work with the GM cam sensor. Also purchased a oddfire camshaft gear to replace the one I have for good insurance. I plan on checking the camshaft backlash just to make sure I do not exceed 0.012" per TA recommendation. Just as long as I setup the torrington bearing between .006-.012" I should be fine.
On page 128 ,of the TA catalog, its states run a bronze gear with a roller camshaft. Some may have better luck than I have but its worth pulling the cam sensor and checking if you run a roller.. If you see abnormal wear you may want to look into this option.. HTH

Mike Banas
87GN

That is a pretty cool idea Lee has done to address the issue. If you look really close at his cam sensor gear it shows small signs of wear toward the top of the gear. What is odd is there has not been alot of talk about cam sensor gear failures on the board. I do have the stock oil bypass block so all the metal is filtered through the oil filter. I would hate to see an engine that has severe signs of cam sensor wear and not addressing the oil/metal contamination issue..

Mike Banas
87GN

Composite polymer distributor gear.

My Comp roller was eating up my cam sensor gear too. I have one of those aftermarket HV oil pump front covers and I also run 20W50 valvoline oil. I installed one of these B.O.P. polymer gears and have never had another problem. Backlash is still tight after 2 years and it's almost silent even when the oil is really cold.

BOP Engineering Buick V6

So the Poly Gear doesn't wear at all?...if that's true then I guess it's worth $125...as the TA bronze are $40 and you'd have to replace those on a regular basis...

I read this tech rag when I'm on the crapper at work:
August 2002 Mechanical Engineering Departments: News and Notes

Clip from the article:

A custom injection molder in Cincinnati has developed a polymer distributor gear that the company said can provide longer life even under harsh racing conditions.

The company, Performance Plastics Ltd., worked with Victrex USA Inc. of Greenville, S.C., to develop the gear's material, a proprietary polyetheretherketone polymer. Frank Mills, the company's national sales manager, claimed that key advantages of PEEK are wear resistance and light weight. The material can withstand continuous operating temperatures of 500°F and retains physical properties close to its melting temperature of 645°F, according to Victrex. Mills also noted that the PEEK gear is more than 80 percent lighter than a bronze alloy gear.

PEEK distributor gears are said to be 80 times lighter than conventional bronze alloy gears.

Mel Perry, the owner of Mel's Ig-nition, a manufacturer of custom-made distributors in Siler City, N.C., has tested the gear.

Conventional metal gears may need to be replaced after 700 to 800 laps. The PEEK polymer gears are wearing more than five times longer, which can mean that they'll last for an entire racing season, Perry said.

"When you are turning 7,000, 8,000, 9,000 rpm, you are stressing everything beyond their capabilities," he said. "This composite gear runs cool, and that cooling leads to less friction and wear and longevity."

Mills said that the gears could be molded to the same dimensional tolerances as bronze alloy gears. His company keeps an inventory of standard sizes, and Mills said that the gears could also be supplied oversized, which some racers believe can reduce backlash and increase horsepower.

Performance Plastics is producing PEEK gears for Ford, Chevrolet, and Chrysler engines. The first gear went into service at the end of 2001, and to Mills's knowledge none has been replaced.

gears

You can use any gear that is out there---the fact still remains that when you go to a BILLETT roller you are eliminating the oiling system to the gears.
If your cam sensor gear is showing wear--so is the cam gear --or atleast all mine did.

You can use any gear that is out there---the fact still remains that when you go to a BILLETT roller you are eliminating the oiling system to the gears.
If your cam sensor gear is showing wear--so is the cam gear --or atleast all mine did.

I agree with that! The oiling jet you came up with is the perfect solution no doubt about it.

I understand and your resolution to the problem is the best one but not an option for me at this time...so just looking for the next best option..:)

Comp Cam Ductile

When i was searching for a new cam gear I contacted Comp Cams directly. They said that the stock gear will not be effected by the ductile iron cam. They said I should not install the bronze gear. So I installed the factory gear. I have not had any problems with wear, however the motor is still very new.

Evaddave

Evaddave,
Do not listen to comp as a close friend just pulled his cam sensor from his buick motor and the cam sensor is worn slap out. This was a comp roller off the shelf bought from DLS.
Lee Thomson has the best all around solution which is keep them lubed. If you look at the stock cam it has a oil passage directly in back of the cam snout. This provides oil to the front of the cam drive and cam sensor. when running an odd fire roller you do not have that oil provision. I have also heard the metallurgy on the cam gears and cam sensors varied. I think DLS spoke of this but I am not sure.
I am going to take Lee's idea and spray lube onto the sensor gear. TANX Lee! I did order a new camshaft gear as well.

I know of others running rollers that do not have a problem so I speak just for myself and a few locals that have the same problem.

Mike Banas
87GN

Well its worht a look,,,

I intend to make some changes this winter and was considering work on my timming chain cover. I want to clean up the oil passages. It will be a good time to check on that cam gear wear.

Evaddave

PS I'll let you know what I find. The motor is still new, under 200 miles. If the gear is worn at all, then changes will be made.

TSO racer

Close friend of mine runs TSO and has no wear, BUT, he does not drive on the street. I tend to believe there is the difference. BTW the cam gear can be found on the 350 V-8 Buicks. I try to buy them when I can and keep a couple extras in stock. Best of luck.