NEW PRODUCT- Cam Sensor Balancer Kit from Richard Clark and Turbo Nasty

I will rebuild them on a case by case basis and it will be $75 if they are deemed rebuildable. If they are sent and are worn, broke, etc and can not be rebuilt. Shipper pays return shipping for unbuildable piece. Otherwise return shipping is included. Thanks

Last edited:
Freshly rebuilt cam sensor for Nick Micale at Arizona GN.
20180626_132501.jpg

What's the best way to remove the old bushings and install the new ones?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thanks Jason, cannot wait to install your modified cam sensor which will give me confidence when shifting at 7000 RPM.

Over the years, I have "killed" 2 cam sensors with high RPM!

Thanks Jason, cannot wait to install your modified cam sensor which will give me confidence when shifting at 7000 RPM.

Over the years, I have "killed" 2 cam sensors with high RPM!
I think you will be pleasantly surprised! Als, having the assembly balanced is the extra perk above and beyond the basic rebuild and strengthen:cool:.

What's the best way to remove the old bushings and install the new ones?

Wondering this myself, it's the last thing that needs to be done. I don't have a press and the local machine shop was worried about damaging the housing and doesn't want to do it.

What's the best way to remove the old bushings and install the new ones?.......................

The "best" way to install the new stuff is to send your cam sensor to Jason. He knows the ins-and-outs of re-doing the cam sensor, why would you NOT want the person who is an expert using the proper parts. and has the expertise?

If you do not have a spare cam sensor Brent, I will send one of mine to Jason, and you send me your's later.

What's the best way to remove the old bushings and install the new ones?.......................

The "best" way to install the new stuff is to send your cam sensor to Jason. He knows the ins-and-outs of re-doing the cam sensor, why would you NOT want the person who is an expert using the proper parts. and has the expertise?

If you do not have a spare cam sensor Brent, I will send one of mine to Jason, and you send me your's later.
Someone quoted me nick. Jason has 4 of my sensors now

Jason, hows my stack of sensors coming along?

Apologize for the late reply to your contact attempts, I was out of town. My Bro in law tied the knot this weekend and the wedding was waaay up in BFE MN. Beautiful area but remote and cell/internet service was nill/sparse.

Your sensors will go out this weekend. One of your NOS sensors had about 1/4 of a bottle (LOL) of red loctite on hold down screw. Most I have ever seen on a sensor. I mean it was caked on the cup and screw. Must have been an grumpy its late on fri build.

Wondering this myself, it's the last thing that needs to be done. I don't have a press and the local machine shop was worried about damaging the housing and doesn't want to do it.

As mentioned in thread and videos some mechanical apttitude is required for this. Not saying you dont have it but if your not sure on the process then its best to let someone who possesses the skills to do it to keep from ruining the $400 part.

Heres some tips....
First off if "Feet" on gear end of cam sensor are gone the sensor is not rebuildable.

Place the two bronze bushing in freezer to get cold...idea here is to have them contract is size slightly.

Take cam sensor completely apart....thats including the circular oil wick under reluctor cup.

Note the depth of old bushings in their bore as the new bushing will need to be in put in the same depth.

Clean housing inside and out with brake cleaner or, equiv to get the old residue out. If you are wanting to keep the GM part # legible on cam sensor neck then be careful when cleaning as some solvents will remove the numbers.

Place sensor body in a soft jawed vice.

BEING VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVERHEAT Use a torch or heat gun (one with enough balls) and heat cam sensor body BEING VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVERHEAT.

Once sensor is hot, CAREFULLY...repeat CAREFULLY drive out bushings (driving them toward the end closest to bushing) with a hammer and drift pin being careful not to gouge or damage bushing bores.

Inspect inside of cam sensor body for debris, damage, etc and clean if need be. If the housing is severely coked up with oil then a soak in a solvent will possibly be needed.

Now the new cold bushings can be pressed back in to the original depth as noted earlier.

Sometimes the lower bushing bore may be screwed up from front covers that the cam sensor hole is out of alignment, etc and the old bushing has been spinning and the bore wont accept a new bushing and retain it properly.

On a basic rebuild level if the above or the feet are worn off, the cam sensor main body would be considered non rebuildable without alot of extra work.

Thanks for covering that, plenty of mechanical aptitude but inexperienced with bushings in something like that. I had plenty of ideas that would probably work but my fear was damaging the housing. That's why I asked the professionals. The rest of the rebuild was very easy and the videos explain it perfect.